Options

Crime Stories ITV1 on this week

Comments

• Options
    ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see Zoe Lister back on TV but this show sucks!!
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's the guy that plays the detective? He's so wooden:D
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I've only seen a little bit of today's, but... it's wall to wall ex Hollyoaks! Even the male detective was in it (years ago - I can't remember his name, but he was with Ruth Osborne).
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote: »
    I've only seen a little bit of today's, but... it's wall to wall ex Hollyoaks! Even the male detective was in it (years ago - I can't remember his name, but he was with Ruth Osborne).

Mandy's brother Lewis I think
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Mandy's brother Lewis I think

Oh yes, that's right - definitely Lewis. Thanks :)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pelicano wrote: »
    I've only seen a little bit of today's, but... it's wall to wall ex Hollyoaks!

It has strong links to Hollyoaks, being created by former producer Paul Marquess and two Hollyoaks writers.

Crime Stories has potential and the ratings for episode 1 were good, but if there's a second series I think they need to look at the production methods. The documentary style just makes it look cheap. It's coming across as a 'mockumentary' rather than a serious drama.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    It should be under the Comedy section :D

Its creators should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act, caught it today, the scene in the cells was hilarious, the acting was very poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Silcock (Jackson from Emmerdale) and Z Lister (Hollyoaks) today!

Sums up this crap perfectly :D

ITV's contribution to care in the community.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that the real policewoman with no acting experience was as good an actor as ex soap stars says something - though not sure about whom. More likely the improv format was hard for all....But as this was the first in an entirely new concept I guess you have to see if it improves with practice. As it might.
    She's evidently been in Am-Dram for years..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    She's evidently been in Am-Dram for years..

And yet still piss poor, this is must see car crash tv.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I sippose it depends on the quality of the Am Dram..I bet we've all seen amateur shows that knock spots TV dramas and equally sat through toe curling efforts from friends and family.;)
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found episode 2 better once you figure out how it is working and adapt to the deliberate realism of the ad lib acting,

ITV Granada Reports had a feature on Jane Antrobus last night discussing how she is adapting to acting (local am dram is all she has ever done before).

She was the lead detective on many recent major crimes in Manchester - eg the shooting of the young boy in the Moss Side park caught in the cross fire of a gang war. Anyone from the area will recall her from news bulletins.They showed footage of her from TV news discussing real crimes and appealing for witnesses alongside her acting out fictional scenes on this show.

She has been 'demoted' for TV from her real capacity as detective superintendant to inspector as in her real life post she oversaw major cases not some of the slightly less serious things likely to be in this series.

I think of the series as a fictional version of Crimewatch rather than a drama and in that spirit I enjoy it more than picking faults in the improv which is going to be hard for actors and detectives and is meant to make it realistic. When you accept that I find it works.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member

I keep expecting someone to crash into a cameraman or hit their head on the furry mike :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep expecting someone to crash into a cameraman or hit their head on the furry mike :D

That will be the villain of the peace in the next episode :D
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that being sold as a drama people are tuning in erxpecting to see skilled actors in a well written script.

The truth is different. This is improvised around a rough outline of each scene going from A to B. How many even realise that the lead detective is (or was until recently) an actual detective and she is self confessedly not really an actress?

Inevitably this means you have a merging of a Crimewatch style documentary and a dramatic fictional story of a crime.

If the viewer were coming in aware of that rather than expecting a drama series like The Bill then they might better be able to suspend judgement and see it as an interesting experiment in doing TV differently.

But they are not really being given the chance (the timeslot is not doing any favours because drama fans are watching Doctors until 2.15 or ITV 3 for the hour and many real life crime fans are probably not even at home).

I am enjoying it but will not be surprised if its audience turns out to be very low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That will be the villain of the peace in the next episode :D

:D my money is on Darren Day or Natalie Cassidy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem is that being sold as a drama people are tuning in erxpecting to see skilled actors in a well written script.

The truth is different. This is improvised around a rough outline of each scene going from A to B. How many even realise that the lead detective is (or was until recently) an actual detective and she is self confessedly not really an actress?

Inevitably this means you have a merging of a Crimewatch style documentary and a dramatic fictional story of a crime.

If the viewer were coming in aware of that rather than expecting a drama series like The Bill then they might better be able to suspend judgement and see it as an interesting experiment in doing TV differently.

But they are not really being given the chance (the timeslot is not doing any favours because drama fans are watching Doctors until 2.15 or ITV 3 for the hour and many real life crime fans are probably not even at home).

I am enjoying it but will not be surprised if its audience turns out to be very low.

I wasn't expecting The Bill as I never watched that. I tuned in after seeing the trailer which 'looked' quite good.

It was said in an earlier post that she was a real detective.

I believe that if this was on at a prime time it would be slated even more especially buy hard core TV detective fans.

I am only watching for the comedy value :D The young man was so bad at acting it was hilarious :D:D
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thestu6 wrote: »
    Great to see some of the bill sets. Shame they haven't brought it back instead of what I watched today!!!

I wonder why they kept The Bill sets after all this time?

Which sets do you mean, as I never watched The Bill?
    It has strong links to Hollyoaks, being created by former producer Paul Marquess and two Hollyoaks writers.

Crime Stories has potential and the ratings for episode 1 were good, but if there's a second series I think they need to look at the production methods. The documentary style just makes it look cheap. It's coming across as a 'mockumentary' rather than a serious drama.

It's described as a "drama filmed in the style of a documentary"- in other words a 'mockumentary'!

I found it to be like another version of TOWIE, so deleted it from my recordings.

Was I right and did it improve?
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's described as a "drama filmed in the style of a documentary"- in other words a 'mockumentary'!

I found it to be like another version of TOWIE, so deleted it from my recordings.

Was I right and did it improve?

Yes you were right,No, it went from bad to worse, this show was past its cell by date before it even aired.

:D
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't expecting The Bill as I never watched that. I tuned in after seeing the trailer which 'looked' quite good.

It was said in an earlier post that she was a real detective.

I believe that if this was on at a prime time it would be slated even more especially buy hard core TV detective fans.

I am only watching for the comedy value :D The young man was so bad at acting it was hilarious :D:D

And it does not disappoint, to use a well known phrase, its pure comedy gold.

:D
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole studio building was brought by some one and they kept the sets for The Bill and Family Affairs and they rent the sets out to film crews to film on them, the Family Affairs street has been on TV lots recently actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who's enjoying this (in terms of how bad it is)? Yes it may be cheap but this is Daytime TV. Makes a refreshing change from antiques, housing programmes and the 25,000th repeat of Midsomer Murders.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who's enjoying this (in terms of how bad it is)? Yes it may be cheap but this is Daytime TV. Makes a refreshing change from antiques, housing programmes and the 25,000th repeat of Midsomer Murders.

Absolutely, I'm loving it, and love the ex-soap star spotting! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police lady scares me, I would have confessed to anything if she ever arrested me.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually enjoying this and find it a million times better than the endless repeats of Midsommer murders and such like.
    It makes a refreshing change to day time tv and at least ITV are making an effort.