10 Years of Girls Aloud

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Why does everyone say it's been 10 years of Girls Aloud?

They split up in early 2009 and didn't re-unite until like, last month, so really they were only around for about six/seven years. :p Does that mean the Spice Girls were together for 12 years because they split up and then re-united?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's because it's been 10 years since Girls Aloud were formed rather than how long they were releasing music for.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they had some tunes... I don't mind them so much, but they are overhyped.
    The press will never grasp that Girls Aloud are not a "Big" group.

I love GA but I agree. I think this reunion has highlighted how overhyped they were during their break. There's no question OOC was a successful album/era and that GA had consistent top 10 singles but it's a bit like they've been living off that OOC success since they split.

Even though they're inbetween albums, there's no question to me that the biggest pop group in the UK is Take That. Look at the consistently high album sales and tours they've had. GA are no where near that kind of status but they act like they are. I also think there was too much talk about the reunion before it happened and in the end it hasn't quite lived up to it.

In a weird way, the SN video kinda sums up the reunion to me. A bunch of posing as a group but not much else. The liveliest part of the video is actually during their solo parts.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked them at first (I was 15). I grew up and saw through it all. I only like The Promise now, everything else, especially their new one, is pretty poor. Cheesy pop with no edge whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Liked them at first (I was 15). I grew up and saw through it all. I only like The Promise now, everything else, especially their new one, is pretty poor. Cheesy pop with no edge whatsoever.

No offence but how are GA cheesy? I wouldn't call songs like Sexy! No No No, Biology, Call the Shots, Untouchable, Life Got Cold, No Good Advice and Sound of the Underground cheesy. OK, maybe some of their songs were (stuff like Love Machine and Jump were a bit cheesy) but they're not as cheesy as say S Club 7 or Steps.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    So it's trendy to knock GA now....okay then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    So it's trendy to knock GA now....okay then.

I think some of us have justified it... since when do we have to kiss an artists ass?
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence but how are GA cheesy? I wouldn't call songs like Sexy! No No No, Biology, Call the Shots, Untouchable, Life Got Cold, No Good Advice and Sound of the Underground cheesy. OK, maybe some of their songs were (stuff like Love Machine and Jump were a bit cheesy) but they're not as cheesy as say S Club 7 or Steps.

Take no notice. The person in question likes Little Mix and The Saturdays :rolleyes::D
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are a good pop group but why haven't they done anything in the US? The Spice Girls did it. The material is, or was, there.

I'm sorry but to be a 'phenomenon' like the SG* you really have to be a big deal in both markets.

*Having said that, their purple patch was very short. GH leaving I suppose took the rug from under them.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »
    Dirge. Never had a quality song (ie.no "Whole Again", no "Never Ever"). Never sold a bean outside the UK where you dont have the advantage of the local factor and where the standard has to be much higher. Alone they were hopeless, Cole the worst singer of the five was thrown out of the US because shes a nobody, now desperate and back together they will once again rely on the cheap local factor.

Theres good pop (Britney, Pink, even One Direction) that have hugely popular catchy songs, and then theres bargain basement pop (Girls Aloud, Steps, Olly Murs).. who without relying on the home market (UK buyers) wouldn't exist.

Firstly, if you dont think any of these had hugely popular catchy songs, then you dont know what you are talking about.
    Secondly, it doesnt matter to the UK buying public if they dont do well elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    Take no notice. The person in question likes Little Mix and The Saturdays :rolleyes::D

Who are you on about? Me or the person I replied to? I like The Saturdays as well and I liked Little Mix's two singles but I don't know if I'm going to buy the album or not.
  • brettriotbrettriot Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I must be the only one who loves the new songs. Is it me or am I the only person who is hearing Cheryl and Nicola singing the most on the new tracks?
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they get back together? :confused:

They all have the same face - apart from the Ginger one with the dentures.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Did they get back together? :confused:

They all have the same face - apart from the Ginger one with the dentures.

What, like the Spice Girls?
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

Really? I think Girls Aloud have released some of the edgiest, most experimental, mainstream pop of the last ten years e.g. Biology, Swinging London Town, Graffiti My Soul, Sexy! No No No..., Memory Of You etc.

They are very cheesy, but they prove you can be cheesy and edgy at the same time.