aerial - static caravan

advice please on fitting an aerial for use in a static caravan.

I will be buying a 15" or 17" LCD tv and not too bothered about sky but may consider freeview. If possible in the future (not available yet) due to poor signal I believe. TQ13

Mike

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just use a normal aerial just as with a house. You might find you need a larger aerial or have it installed on a higher pole due to the caravan not having an upstairs for the extra height.

Try putting in its post code into the freeview web site.

The only bit that might be different is the way the aerial is located/fixed - caravans dont have brick walls, you see. An aerial installer company should be able to cope with it - especially if they are local and based near the caravan site - you wont be the first to want an aerial.

Sky is also possible, just like with a house, but the attachment to the caravan might be different - like with the aerial. You can now have "Freesat" with a one off payment, and no subscription, but you wont get all the channels that Freeview provides over an aerial.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the aerial is going to be low then you might not get a good picture, depends on your location.

you could get a second hand digibox and dish from ebay for about £40 if you have a good look. This would enable you to simply put the dish at ground level (put a pole in the ground and bolt the dish to it, iv'e done that before) and then you will get a perfect picture and have a lot more channels. To get itv, ch4 and five you would need a freesat card from sky for £20. also doing this if you have sky at home you can take your viewing card to the caravan and watch all the channels apart from movies and sport channels as the card needs to be paired to the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    if in a very poor signal area try to get the aerial as high as possible and get a high gain one that you would use at home or in the loft
    you could also get an amplifier if the signal was still poor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you don't want to speand too much this has everything you would need for a satellite setup including a freesat card, all you need is a way of securing the dish

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMSTRAD-DRX100-SKY-DIGIBOX-C-W-REMOTE-CARD-DISH-LEADS_W0QQitemZ5798987833QQcategoryZ96970QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • freeview_madfreeview_mad Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, when i saw the thread title i thought you were having trouble with static electricity jumping to your aerial :D :rolleyes: :eek: