Options

Court rules UK ISP's must block The Pirate Bay

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Apparently it is not only beyond my intelligence and comprehension, but the people who run HBO as well.

I agreed with the poster above who said the content should be able to be bought online. However, someone needs to explain that to HBO and all the other content providers.

as is often the case the obviousness of the truth is somewhat obscured.

HBO are trying to push their HBO-GO service. which is why their stuff is not available on itunes, netflix etc.

the business needs to sort this. all these exclusive contracts with fox stuff only being available on this platform and sony stuff on another. meanwhile the pirates are offering drm free downloads that play on anything.

this is not rocket science.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    as is often the case the obviousness of the truth is somewhat obscured.

HBO are trying to push their HBO-GO service. which is why their stuff is not available on itunes, netflix etc.

the business needs to sort this. all these exclusive contracts with fox stuff only being available on this platform and sony stuff on another. meanwhile the pirates are offering drm free downloads that play on anything.

this is not rocket science.
    Agreed - What';s worse is that HBO GO is NOT available as a freestanding subscription, but only bundled with another premium cable operation.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made a mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Made a mistake.

if it was accidentally sitting on your balls you have my sympathy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Happens more often as you get older... :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    Happens more often as you get older... :cry:

i know. especially in the summer.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Just as I suspected, I purposely left the "pirates" no wriggle room asking for a YES/NO answer. However, despite that we are having all sort of semantic arguments and plain evasive answers.

Why do so many people think that just because a series/film is shown in another country they have some god given right to demand instant viewing rights in this country. Even if people are willing to pay for something it doesn't give them the right to take it for nothing if the business isn't willing to sell it to them.

If a business or individual offers something for sale then fine but if it isn't for sale or you don't agree with the terms of sale then that's it, you don't get it. What I see in this and many other threads is (a) I'll take whatever I want regardless or (b) give it/sell it to me now on my terms or I will take it regardless.

Now I'm sorry and call me old fashioned but neither of those scenarios are acceptable and if anyone thinks otherwise then they need to take a good look at themselves.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Just as I suspected, I purposely left the "pirates" no wriggle room asking for a YES/NO answer. However, despite that we are having all sort of semantic arguments and plain evasive answers.

Why do so many people think that just because a series/film is shown in another country they have some god given right to demand instant viewing rights in this country. Even if people are willing to pay for something it doesn't give them the right to take it for nothing if the business isn't willing to sell it to them.

If a business or individual offers something for sale then fine but if it isn't for sale or you don't agree with the terms of sale then that's it, you don't get it. What I see in this and many other threads is (a) I'll take whatever I want regardless or (b) give it/sell it to me now on my terms or I will take it regardless.

Now I'm sorry and call me old fashioned but neither of those scenarios are acceptable and if anyone thinks otherwise then they need to take a good look at themselves.
    Let's just say that I know someone who pirates...

Do they know it's wrong? Yes
    Do they know it's illegal? Yes
    Will they carry on doing it knowing this? Yes
    Why carry on? Because it's common practise and not prosecuted against

Do they apply the same principal to 'real' items (shop lifting)? No
    Why? Because they can be arrested and prosecuted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Let's just say that I know someone who pirates...

Do they know it's wrong? Yes
    Do they know it's illegal? Yes
    Will they carry on doing it knowing this? Yes
    Why carry on? Because it's common practise and not prosecuted against

Do they apply the same principal to 'real' items (shop lifting)? No
    Why? Because they can be arrested and prosecuted.

Which is exactly why we need something like the Digital Rights Act or something with even sharper teeth and a real deterrent attached to it. I think the whole thing is very akin to Insurance fraud. People see that as a victimless crime too when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is exactly why we need something like the Digital Rights Act or something with even sharper teeth and a real deterrent attached to it. I think the whole thing is very akin to Insurance fraud. People see that as a victimless crime too when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Let's get a grip. It's nothing like insurance fraud, and more akin to sneaking into a cinema or a concert without paying.

Not very honest, but hardly crime of the century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha-ha! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

preachy, judgemental and alarmist much?

i don't know exactly who you think you are to tell the rest of us to take a good look at ourselves. only my mother gets to talk to me like that and she never would.

nobody answer your question because it is ridiculous. i, and i think everyone else, rejects your premise. copying something is simply not theft. how difficult can it be to grasp that there is no cost if you copy something that you either couldn't or wouldn't have bought. i don't know why this rather basic concept eludes you but lets let elmo try http://nfomation.net/info/mascot.nfo

the rest of us live in the real world. i don't think anyone ever said that they thought they had a god given right to see a show that airs in another country? if they did then please correct me. but in the real world we understand that if you don't give the people what they want then they will find a way around it. together we are discussing, like adults, things the entertainment industry can do to combat piracy that involve some carrot as well as the stick. when you are ready to join that discussion, which granted, requires some subtly that you have thus far not shown then please do.

but if your only point is 'stealing bad' then there is probably a better place to say it.

ETA Home taping is killing music.
  • Options
    Forum Member

bollocks
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole thing is very akin to Insurance fraud.
    Wow...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    preachy, judgemental and alarmist much?

i don't know exactly who you think you are to tell the rest of us to take a good look at ourselves. only my mother gets to talk to me like that and she never would.

nobody answer your question because it is ridiculous. i, and i think everyone else, rejects your premise. copying something is simply not theft. how difficult can it be to grasp that there is no cost if you copy something that you either couldn't or wouldn't have bought. i don't know why this rather basic concept eludes you but lets let elmo try http://nfomation.net/info/mascot.nfo

the rest of us live in the real world. i don't think anyone ever said that they thought they had a god given right to see a show that airs in another country? if they did then please correct me. but in the real world we understand that if you don't give the people what they want then they will find a way around it. together we are discussing, like adults, things the entertainment industry can do to combat piracy that involve some carrot as well as the stick. when you are ready to join that discussion, which granted, requires some subtly that you have thus far not shown then please do.

but if your only point is 'stealing bad' then there is probably a better place to say it.

ETA Home taping is killing music.

Typical pirate type reaction - perhaps if your mother had spoken to you more in the way you suggest you might have a different set of values - just an observation. I didn't say in my post that copying was theft (your conscience assigned that label to it) I said it didn't belong to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bollocks

The concept I was talking about - I'll view the expletive as you simply not being equipped to respond via the normal channels of communication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it always end up "getting personal" when Faust joins a debate?

I'm beginning to think he does on purpose to get the thread locked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Typical pirate type reaction - perhaps if your mother had spoken to you more in the way you suggest you might have a different set of values - just an observation. I didn't say in my post that copying was theft (your conscience assigned that label to it) I said it didn't belong to you.
    semantics Faust.
    take something that they don't own or that doesn't belong to them
    pretty clear what you meant. you evade the point by denying you said it.

you dismiss me rather than debate with me. you've ignored every word i've said. because you don't have the tools to respond.
    The concept I was talking about - I'll view the expletive as you simply not being equipped to respond via the normal channels of communication.
    my diction and descriptive powers are vast.

i consulted the lexicon of words and phrases allowed on DS and concluded that bar non 'bollocks' was the best way of describing your assertion that copyright infringement as akin to insurance fraud.

you're going to have to explain why the word is some how less valid than any other. assuming you are an adult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    Why does it always end up "getting personal" when Faust joins a debate?

I'm beginning to think he does on purpose to get the thread locked.

the thought had occurred to me.

it's very odd to me. i am happy to debate the merits of copyright infringement all the live long day. without being told i need to take a look at myself.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just so frustrating that Big Media and their consumers have to have this argument EVERY TIME there's a tech advance.

Faust, I *don't* pirate. Doesn't mean to say, though, that I don't necessarily want to have to have a disc spinning to see a film. I'd quite like to be able to transcode and take it with me...

We've been through the same fight with broadcast TV, home video... Personally, I'd say that "pirates" are also the ultimate early adopters. Showing the way forward to new markets.

Look at the gains the music industry is making now.

We're a global market now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How so? It wasn't I that wrote the personal attack rather I was the subject of said attack.
    flagpole writes....pretty clear what you meant. you evade the point by denying you said it.

I deny it simply because I didn't say it?

I'd suggest the reason it gets personal is because people don't like it when you point out their shortcomings especially if they know themselves they have been caught out in a "wrong". It's like asking someone who has just thrown down some litter to pick it up - invariably the people get as nasty as the devil when challenged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A LOT of exaggeration going on in this thread at times.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I can give you a very easy (theoretical) example:
    If you are a game developer running your own independent software house, your profits could be directly liked to sales. For every person that copies your game rather than pay for it, it effects your income. How would you feel then?

I would bet my entire months wage that second hand game selling pisses all over copying games. So a moot point really.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can give you a very easy (theoretical) example:
    If you are a game developer running your own independent software house, your profits could be directly liked to sales. For every person that copies your game rather than pay for it, it effects your income. How would you feel then?

I have several apps in the Android and iOS market place that are available as part of app packs on torrent sites. How do I feel about it? Decidedly, meh.

I'm not foolish enough to believe there is a one to one relation between downloads and sales. In a way I'm kinda of flattered someone took the time to upload it. But honestly it doesn't bother me that much. If I was making enough to quit my job over it then I think I would still feel the same because I'm already making enough off sales to work on it full time and be happy for the free publicity.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I would bet my entire months wage that second hand game selling pisses all over copying games. So a moot point really.

I'm tempted to take that bet :D

Reselling games is ethical. Many would argue downloads are not.