No news on series 9?

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
I feel very in the dark about this series! :( #gettingimpatient

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I was thinking that as well. It doesn't usually take as long as this, does it? Hopefully we'll be hearing sometime in the next few weeks.
  • TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Unreality (I think), it won't air until late spring (i.e. May). Disappointed at this. :(

EDIT: It was Tellymix -

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-apprentice/133495-the-apprentice-2013-start-date-set-for-late-spring-on-bbc-one.html

Oh well, going to have to wait a bit longer!
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    According to Unreality (I think), it won't air until late spring (i.e. May). Disappointed at this. :(

EDIT: It was Tellymix -

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-apprentice/133495-the-apprentice-2013-start-date-set-for-late-spring-on-bbc-one.html

Oh well, going to have to wait a bit longer!

I don't really mind about this - it's no different to Series 7, which was on a few months later because Series 6 was on in the autumn. I've thought they should have done this consistently since Young Apprentice has been on actually, to provide a bit more of a break.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    may:eek::(.... i thought it was going to air early april..
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Apparently it was announced yesterday that the series will start on the 27th March.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(UK_TV_series)
    Forum Member
    Apparently it was announced yesterday that the series will start on the 27th March.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... it isn't sourced, there have been no announcements by the BBC or on Lord Sugar's Twitter account. I've put a 'citation needed' on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As much as I want to believe that, it sounds like bollocks to me.

On the 27th March at 9:00 on BBC1 is Pompeii: Mystery of the People according to the radio times:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings
    Forum Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Forum Member

On the 27th March at 9:00 on BBC1 is Pompeii: Mystery of the People according to the radio times:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings

That has Margaret in it though! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That date has been taken off Wiki. I'm sure it'll start when Lord Sugar indicated i.e. late spring.
    Forum Member
    That date has been taken off Wiki. I'm sure it'll start when Lord Sugar indicated i.e. late spring.

I was the one who took it off Wiki. I initially put the 'citation needed' sign there, but when you pointed out that there is going to be something else airing at that time, I deleted it altogether.

What time do you think it will be on? 9pm like it has been in the past, or will they stick with 8pm as they did on the last series? Personally I think they're very silly if they stick with 8pm, it didn't pull in as many viewers when they did that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the one who took it off Wiki. I initially put the 'citation needed' sign there, but when you pointed out that there is going to be something else airing at that time, I deleted it altogether.

What time do you think it will be on? 9pm like it has been in the past, or will they stick with 8pm as they did on the last series? Personally I think they're very silly if they stick with 8pm, it didn't pull in as many viewers when they did that.

It was only 8PM for Young Apprentice, which is more understandable as it is more targeted for the younger audience. I would think that it would be at 9PM as I think it has been for every year of the main series, iirc.
    Forum Member
    It was only 8PM for Young Apprentice, which is more understandable as it is more targeted for the younger audience. I would think that it would be at 9PM as I think it has been for every year of the main series, iirc.

Actually, Series 1 and 2 of Young Apprentice were on at 9pm, so it must have been something they were trying out for Series 3. Before Young Apprentice Series 3 started, you could just as easily have said that it would be unlikely to be broadcast at 8pm as every other series had been broadcast at 9pm. Although I agree that they're very unlikely to keep it that way, as it didn't work out when they did it.

How is Young Apprentice targeted at a younger audience? Apart from the fact that the candidates are very marginally younger (they're hardly kids, it's not like a CBBC thing) it's exactly the same show and surely appeals to audiences on the same level. It's not like they tried to make it really down with the kids, at least not the way I saw it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Series 1 and 2 of Young Apprentice were on at 9pm, so it must have been something they were trying out for Series 3. Before Young Apprentice Series 3 started, you could just as easily have said that it would be unlikely to be broadcast at 8pm as every other series had been broadcast at 9pm. Although I agree that they're very unlikely to keep it that way, as it didn't work out when they did it.

How is Young Apprentice targeted at a younger audience? Apart from the fact that the candidates are very marginally younger (they're hardly kids, it's not like a CBBC thing) it's exactly the same show and surely appeals to audiences on the same level. It's not like they tried to make it really down with the kids, at least not the way I saw it.

Only in the sense that the only reason Lord Sugar wanted to do Young Apprentice in the first place was to encourage younger people to get more involved in business. I think that Young Apprentice is intended to be targeted at teenagers as LS tones down his anger and abrasiveness in YA and I think that this was the reason for it being before the watershed as well.

I'd be very surprised if the time wasn't moved back to 9PM
    Forum Member
    Only in the sense that the only reason Lord Sugar wanted to do Young Apprentice in the first place was to encourage younger people to get more involved in business. I think that Young Apprentice is intended to be targeted at teenagers as LS tones down his anger and abrasiveness in YA and I think that this was the reason for it being before the watershed as well.

Well if that's the case, why weren't Series 1 and 2 on at 8pm?
    Forum Member
    Apart from the fact that the candidates are very marginally younger (they're hardly kids, it's not like a CBBC thing)

Really? There's quite a difference between the maturity if a 16 year old and a 26 year old. And yes, I would pretty much still call 16 and 17 year olds kids. :o
    Forum Member
    Really? There's quite a difference between the maturity if a 16 year old and a 26 year old. And yes, I would pretty much still call 16 and 17 year olds kids. :o

I completely disagree with you. I actually think a lot of the time, the candidates on Young Apprentice tended to be more mature than the candidates on the adult show (admittedly not so much in Series 3, but definitely in Series 1 and 2). It's hard to compare them because there have been so many more candidates on the adult show, but I would rather work in a group of Arjun, Tim Ankers, Zara, James McCullagh, Ashleigh and Lucy than I would in a group of Tim Campbell, Saira, Michelle, Ruth, Simon Ambrose and Kristina, for example. Another example is in the filming task - it almost invariably has one team make a lovely piece of work but forget to advertise the product and the most obvious example of where this obvious blunder hasn't happened was in Young Apprentice. Obviously Lord Sugar's anger is toned down considerably in Young Apprentice, but also I think he has less reason to be angry in the first place. I think it would be interesting to have a series of both together - half adults and half Young contestants - I bet the younger ones would do better. (Okay, now I just have a mental image of Stuart Baggs being a nutter and going crazy, while Zara just rolls her eyes and gets on with the task!) :D

You'd call 16- and 17-year-olds kids? Well, I suppose it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis, since at that age some people probably are still kids and some aren't - but I wouldn't call many of the ones who were on Young Apprentice kids. 'Kid', by its very definition, implies lack of maturity and I don't think you can say that about many of the people who have got to the final on Young Apprentice. Trying to sort out a good life for oneself is hardly not being mature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if that's the case, why weren't Series 1 and 2 on at 8pm?

My assumption was that they were trying it out for Series 3 to see if it would attract a bigger audience given that they were aiming it at a younger audience than The Apprentice. When it didn't, I assume that it was a key part in the decision to axe it.

I do see your point though. My opinion comes from interviews with LS about why he wanted to do Young Apprentice in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd call 16- and 17-year-olds kids? Well, I suppose it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis, since at that age some people probably are still kids and some aren't - but I wouldn't call many of the ones who were on Young Apprentice kids. 'Kid', by its very definition, implies lack of maturity and I don't think you can say that about many of the people who have got to the final on Young Apprentice. Trying to sort out a good life for oneself is hardly not being mature.

As you say though, it is very much a case by case basis, though. I would say candidates like Zara, Zoe, Harry H and Lucy were extremely mature for their age, whilst Rhys, Mahamad, Amy and, especially Lewis, were immature for their age. I do agree that in many cases, the kids did acted more mature than even their adult counterparts did.
    Forum Member
    My assumption was that they were trying it out for Series 3 to see if it would attract a bigger audience given that they were aiming it at a younger audience than The Apprentice. When it didn't, I assume that it was a key part in the decision to axe it.

I do see your point though. My opinion comes from interviews with LS about why he wanted to do Young Apprentice in the first place.

It's targeted more towards younger people in terms of candidates certainly, I just don't think it is from a viewing perspective.
    As you say though, it is very much a case by case basis, though. I would say candidates like Zara, Zoe, Harry H and Lucy were extremely mature for their age, whilst Rhys, Mahamad, Amy and, especially Lewis, were immature for their age. I do agree that in many cases, the kids did acted more mature than even their adult counterparts did.

I know, it's hard to draw a comparison as there have been considerably more adult candidates than young candidates. That's why my example was based purely on finalists from the first three series of each. Those four you mentioned were particularly mature for their age, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the immature ones. Rhys and Lewis I'd agree with, but I'm not sure about Mahamed and Amy. Mahamed wasn't really in it long enough to form a proper opinion on his maturity, but according to his audition he'd already done quite a lot. Amy was very aggressive, but I wouldn't say that necessarily goes with immature. There have been lots of people like that on the adult show, Melissa being a prime example. (The thing I find funny about Amy is that I actually know an Amy Corrigan, and she was horrified to see how her name double behaved on the show!)

In all fairness though, I think there have been more who were on the mature side than on the immature side. This could apply even to some of the people who went early on - Sean Spooner for example, despite looking about 12, came across as a very intelligent and mature young man. He was also remarkably articulate - not quite as articulate as Zara, but getting there. It wasn't so obvious because we saw less of him, but I thought Ben in Series 2 could have shone on the later tasks. I was really upset when he went, as I thought Lewis should have gone and Ben was much more likely than Lewis to prove himself in later tasks. We'll never know how Ben would have done, but it quickly became clear that Lewis wasn't worth keeping on. (Incidentally, did anyone else notice that in Series 2 of Young Apprentice, there were only two boys who were ever on a winning team?)
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member

just when i got exited:(