Options

What defines 'Your Doctor'?

jpljpl Posts: 286
Forum Member
We all have a favourite doctor, which many of us will say is 'My Doctor' but what for you makes any incarnation so special.

At 33 just now I was still just a bit too young to get into Doctor who during the original series and when it was revived i never gave it a chance but tuned into see the regeneration into 10 as I wanted to see that bit, but that was me I was hooked from there. I loved the tenth doctor but it has been the eleventh that really has grabbed me and I would probably have to say that 11 is my doctor. I love the eccentricities of this incarnation from the boyish glee to to the weary and ancient troubles he has.

This is so subjective and it's not so much a who's your favourite doctor (although they may be the same) but who is 'your doctor' the man that defined the show for you and who will always be the measuring stick and why is he your doctor, was it your age or he was the first one you saw etc...

I'm really interested in this but please don't bash individual actors, talk about who you liked and why, not who you didn't like. If someone does 'bash' a doctor just ignore them don't feed them. cheers

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant.
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was Who at age 12. :-D

For me, always Tom.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting question. The first Doctor I saw "live" was David Tennant, but while I enjoyed his performance, I prefer Tom Baker and Matt Smith. I guess my preference for the former might be in part due to the fact that I was familiar with his Doctor long before I started watching, yet I don't recall ever seeing any of his adventures in full until after the revival.

So Tennant was my first Doctor per se, but Baker is what I would call "my Doctor", even though he was before my time.

I guess it varies for everyone but in my case it's to do with order of preference, rather than order of viewing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I personally can't really explain it, but it's just this feeling that I get whenever I see 11 on the screen. As much as I enjoy and love the others, I don't get that feeling with them. Sometimes I wonder whether it has to do with me having Matt as my first Doctor and therefore feeling like his take on the Doctor embodies what I personally want the Doctor to be like and whether I'd still feel this way even if I had started with a different Doctor, but I guess I''m never finding that out.

If I had to go deeper than it's also probably that with the 11th Doctor I love both the charaterization and the way the actor performs it equally. He's not a hero, he's really just a madman in a box. He's a cosmic nine year old, but he's incredibly old and weary under the pressure of his long life at the same time. He's silly, but at the same time can be extremyl serious. He's a madman, but he is the cleverest person in the room at the same time. He's a good man, but he is not a hero and needs to be kept in check. He can be incredibly loving, but he has a dark side streak and is extremely manipulative with other people's life. He tries his hardest to be the good man, but he is flawed and he himself realizes this the most and that's why he sorta hates himself.

Shortly put, he is the first this face saw and he seared himself onto my heart.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Fallibility. The Doctor is amazing, but he shouldn't be perfect. He's clever, but he shouldn't always be right.

Oh, and obvious thinking processes. I'd rather have a Columbo type, where you can see him piece together things in his head, rather than riding out the plot and then pulling a solution out of thin air. Harder for the writers, I know, but that's their job.
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting question. The first Doctor I saw "live" was David Tennant, but while I enjoyed his performance, I prefer Tom Baker and Matt Smith. I guess my preference for the former might be in part due to the fact that I was familiar with his Doctor long before I started watching, yet I don't recall ever seeing any of his adventures in full until after the revival.

So Tennant was my first Doctor per se, but Baker is what I would call "my Doctor", even though he was before my time.

I guess it varies for everyone but in my case it's to do with order of preference, rather than order of viewing.

I respectfully disagree, for me it's neither order of preference or viewing... I agree with the OP it's more about feeling. The connections you feel at the time, how you get involved.... My first Doctor was Ecclestone, my favourite is Davison but "my Doctor" is Ten. I was into the show a lot more back then and was completely spoiler free and so everything that happened regarding arcs and episodes was a shock. And I felt that I connected emotionally with Tennants incarnation. A lot if my favourite doctor who episodes are from Ten's era. So that incarnation always holds a place in my heart :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;)older,wise and fun ax it aint hamlet orr ccheevok so cchill wwwith it
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I personally can't really explain it, but it's just this feeling that I get whenever I see 11 on the screen. As much as I enjoy and love the others, I don't get that feeling with them. Sometimes I wonder whether it has to do with me having Matt as my first Doctor and therefore feeling like his take on the Doctor embodies what I personally want the Doctor to be like and whether I'd still feel this way even if I had started with a different Doctor, but I guess I''m never finding that out.

If I had to go deeper than it's also probably that with the 11th Doctor I love both the charaterization and the way the actor performs it equally. He's not a hero, he's really just a madman in a box. He's a cosmic nine year old, but he's incredibly old and weary under the pressure of his long life at the same time. He's silly, but at the same time can be extremyl serious. He's a madman, but he is the cleverest person in the room at the same time. He's a good man, but he is not a hero and needs to be kept in check. He can be incredibly loving, but he has a dark side streak and is extremely manipulative with other people's life. He tries his hardest to be the good man, but he is flawed and he himself realizes this the most and that's why he sorta hates himself.

I was 12 when I became a fan in early 80's so Davison is and always will be 'my' Doctor and v close to my heart. He was my hero. I cared about him. He was brave and kind and flawed. I almost feel disloyal (not really) as my *favourite* Doctor now is 11, and basically the excellent post quoted above has articulated my feelings far better than I could have done. :)
  • Options
    rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    For me it's the one you grow up with, I vaguely remember Jon Pertwee becoming Tom Baker and from a very young age watching all of his episodes. I was devastated when he left but still watched the show on & off but would always compare Doctors from then on to him.
    I think I was then looking for another Doctor to engage with and and held out some hope for Colin Baker but alas he wasn't given the time to get his teeth into the role. Once again Sylvester McCoy showed promise but was let down storywise.
    I guess I look for the eccentricity in the character and 'other worldness' so that's why Matt Smith drew me in (although I have been watching since it came back with CE) and again I'm gutted that's he's leaving
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it was the fact that I was down in the dumps, very upset because the Doctor that I thought was my Doctor had passed on and I wasn't sure if the show would recover, and then...

"Legs! Still got legs!"

And I was hooked. He rejuvenated the show and I feel as though his pure humour, demeanour and attitude reigned me in from the start. I think it helps to set the tone early. And The Eleventh Hour was a very very strong start IMO.

To sum up why my Doctor is my Doctor:

"Fish fingers and custard."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen every Doctor since Pertwee some & go - but Matt Smith is my Doctor. He's perfect.
    He's so old, so hurt, so vulnerable - but always with a child-like enthusiasm for the dorky, a a naive belief in others that is seldom deserved and an ability to love that almost crushes him.
    He's just bloody wonderful.
    And he never did get used to his limbs, even though he found them all straight away!
    :-)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    As a 60's boy - I vaguely remember William Hartnell, but grew up with Pat Troughton from the age of 7. He was THE Doctor in my eyes - funny, sad, adventurous, cheeky and very clever!
    I was sad when Jon Pertwee replaced him - it all got a bit too serious for my liking! But as I grew older I appreciated his stories too. (I was in my teens by then)
    David Tennant has been my favourite in this new 21st century version.....but I Liked Matt Smith's intro to it - I thought he was going to be a new Pat Troughton. It wasn't to be, however, he ended up making a personality of his own - fair enough! But he irritates me TBH :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Hmm... "my Doctor".... I think that would have to be Matt Smith, though McCoy was my first at some point in the distant past before I started the revived series from Eccleston.

I have gone and watched all the other Doctors, but Smith just has that certain... "something" that makes him ever so slightly more enjoyable to watch than the others. I'm sure it comes down to what he acts and how he acts it. He delivers comedy and seriousness excellently, even at the same time.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While Matt Smith is possibly my favourite I don't really think of one as 'MY' doctor...to one extent or another they all are for different reasons.

Sylvester was my childhood Doctor, the one I first saw 'live' and so always holds a special place.

But then Troughton was my favourite portrayal upon watching back the Classics.

Though it was Pertwee's era which was my favourite of the classics story wise.

And then of course Ecclestone achieved the impossible and made the old show a hit again with a very new take on the character but won me over quickly.

And then Tennant all dashing and handsome and angsty raised the bar again.

I suppose its easier to say the ones I feel less connected to which are the two Bakers Hartnell and McGann. Still splendid chaps, all of them!
  • Options
    Brian2005Brian2005 Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Peter Davison and Tom Baker
  • Options
    missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I love Matt Smith as the Doctor but for my Doctor is David Tennant
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's sweet. :)

My first Doctor was Hartnell, and I can't honestly say he seared himself on my heart, though I loved the character, the stories, the whole Doctor thing.

But Troughton was "my" Doctor, originally, for his zaniness, his energy, his lovely voice, his haircut - everything, really. And he remained "my" Doctor until Tennant, who stole my heart away. :)
    "my Doctor" is Ten. I was into the show a lot more back then and was completely spoiler free and so everything that happened regarding arcs and episodes was a shock. And I felt that I connected emotionally with Tennants incarnation. A lot if my favourite doctor who episodes are from Ten's era. So that incarnation always holds a place in my heart :)

I agree with this. I have loved Matt's Doctor, and I think his portrayal has been pretty near perfection, (actually surpassing David's at times), but for the emotional involvement with character and story it's got to be Ten for me.

I love his sheer energy, his volatility, his angst, and (this will annoy some people, but I don't care) his sexiness.

I am so looking forward to seeing him for one last time in the 50th. Even if it's only for 5 minutes (who knows?) it will be a special joy to see David and Matt together.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's sweet. :)

My first Doctor was Hartnell, and I can't honestly say he seared himself on my heart, though I loved the character, the stories, the whole Doctor thing.

But Troughton was "my" Doctor, originally, for his zaniness, his energy, his lovely voice, his haircut - everything, really. And he remained "my" Doctor until Tennant, who stole my heart away. :)

I agree with this. I have loved Matt's Doctor, and I think his portrayal has been pretty near perfection, (actually surpassing David's at times), but for the emotional involvement with character and story it's got to be Ten for me.

I love his sheer energy, his volatility, his angst, and (this will annoy some people, but I don't care) his sexiness.

I am so looking forward to seeing him for one last time in the 50th. Even if it's only for 5 minutes (who knows?) it will be a special joy to see David and Matt together.:)

That would be a severe disappointment to me if that were the case. Judging from the video of them two together that the BBC released there's room for so much awesomeness when those two will grace our screens with their presence together. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Being believable as 'alien'. Only three have managed it in my eyes. Troughton, T. Baker and Smith.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first doctor was Sylvester McCoy but tbh the only things I remember from his tenure are killer Bertie Bassett and catpeople !
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 was my first Doctor and I loved the character. He was perfect to return the show and the first series and his story arc was beautiful. I will always have a strong affection for him. However I have no hesitation in saying 10 is 100% my Doctor. I really felt like he was carrying on the story of 9 and it was like he was released with a new enthusiasm for life and I enjoyed the bond with Rose. It was really series 3 where he sealed it for me though. I wasn't watching the 10th Doctor, I was watching the Doctor I loved his companionship with Martha and there was such a good run of episodes.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be a severe disappointment to me if that were the case. Judging from the video of them two together that the BBC released there's room for so much awesomeness when those two will grace our screens with their presence together. :D

I was thinking of worst case scenario. :D

I hope we have 60 minutes (or more) of the two of them on screen together. They were made for each other, judging by the video!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of worst case scenario. :D

I hope we have 60 minutes (or more) of the two of them on screen together. They were made for each other, judging by the video!

Haha, yeah, my first thought when I saw it was "separated at birth." :D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who says fans shouldn't be greedy and entitled I might be on thin ice but by god, if they get Smith and Tennant on screen together and waste it by only having it be a few minutes it will be an OUTRAGE. I will march and everything. This is like De Niro and Pacino in Heat. They need time together. Lots of time.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    Being believable as 'alien'. Only three have managed it in my eyes. Troughton, T. Baker and Smith.

This, though the others all had their moments when you suddenly stopped and looked at them and thought 'wow...' those three, and Eccleston? had it just by being themselves. I don't have 'a' Doctor, I have all of them to a greater or lesser degree. I need a bit more motivation to watch McCoy, (though I appreciate him more than I used to) and Tennant, but the others I could watch till the cows come home:)