New Now TV advance box coming next month

ashjfashjf Posts: 1,096
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/01/29/now-tv-reveals-advanced-box/

Looks like a new Now TV box will be launched next month, new UI, I would assume that it would be to bring it in line with Sky Q that also launches next month.

Comments

• SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has now come up on DS news and re-vamped UI, box-sets more channels and more and more of the same but unless they start doing HD content on their boxes they can by-pass my front door and go straight to a land-fill site.:)

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a781667/sky-is-getting-ready-to-launch-a-brand-new-now-tv-box/
  • retrodjretrodj Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    As I put on another post, this is more interesting to me than SKY Q. If they sell the box with some passes like the current box at a reasonable price, then I will be tempted.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Looks like a Roku 4
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I'm not sure where broadband News got their "available next month" bit, as everything Now TV have told me is that only the new UI is coming next month. The new box will be available "later in the year".
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Hmmm. I'm not sure where broadband News got their "available next month" bit, as everything Now TV have told me is that only the new UI is coming next month. The new box will be available "later in the year".
    Agreed it's an error , I believe they've got the launch of the new UI mixed up with the new box launch.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60 free to air channels?

Any word yet on what they will be?
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    60 free to air channels?

Any word yet on what they will be?

All the Freeview channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is, would you need a Now TV sub to access them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Freeview channels.

OK. Interesting. This would make it easier for people in multi occupancy households, or for people who want to watch telly in the bedroom and don't have a TV point in the room.

It's a fairly common question on the terrestrial TV forum- people asking about indoor aerials or whether you can watch the Freeview channels online, and neither of those is a particularly good solution at the moment. Being able to use a NOW TV box with a simple interface and familiar remote control would make it much better, IMHO. Indeed this maybe the first baby steps towards an all-online future for Freeview TV, although the transmitter network will be with us for a long, long time yet.

Depending how you count, there are fewer than 60 channels on Freeview so maybe a few goodies from Freesat as well?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    OK. Interesting. This would make it easier for people in multi occupancy households, or for people who want to watch telly in the bedroom and don't have a TV point in the room.

It's a fairly common question on the terrestrial TV forum- people asking about indoor aerials or whether you can watch the Freeview channels online, and neither of those is a particularly good solution at the moment. Being able to use a NOW TV box with a simple interface and familiar remote control would make it much better, IMHO. Indeed this maybe the first baby steps towards an all-online future for Freeview TV, although the transmitter network will be with us for a long, long time yet.

Depending how you count, there are fewer than 60 channels on Freeview so maybe a few goodies from Freesat as well?

I'd think it most likely that the 60 FTA channels will be a TVPlayer app - it's in line with the number of channels they quote on their website. Officially, TVPlayer have no plans to launch on Roku. However, I doubt it is in Sky's interest to stream FTA channels through the Now TV interface using their own servers (at a pinch, *maybe* if they insist on a subscription in order to watch them, but then they are taking the mick with the FTA tag), and as TVPlayer already have the permissions and infrastructure to do this, all it needs is for Sky/Roku to help them out with creating an app.

Note that Sky don't actually say the channels will be the Freeview ones, or mention Freeview at all in their press release. TVPlayer largely has the Freeview channels plus some extras, but not all the Freeview ones are present.

I imagine there will be some financial incentive to stop TVPlayerPlus being available on the platform.

later... (time passes)
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160129005301/en

Hmm, maybe it will actually have a DVB tuner in it, I'm very confused now!
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new NOW TV box would be very welcome in Freeview Light areas if suggestions are correct in previous posts. It could also compete with Talk Talk to a certain degree.
  • cornishcornish Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    the Now TV Smart Box will be a "hybrid" streamer that offers "linear and streaming services through a single device." Sky will be the first Roku partner to combine a streaming service with traditional (Freeview) TV channels.
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/29/sky-now-tv-smart-box/
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should add 50Hz support to the boxes before anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they use TV player, will you have to watch an advert everytime you want to change channel? If so it's a non starter in my book.

What is 50 hz support by the way?
  • arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I believe it'll be Freeview for the FTA channels so you'll still need an aerial. However it is possible to watch TVPlayer on NOW TV right now if you are willing to sideload my app. No ads, but also no Plus.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B787MtHYmgPnbEtOT2JJNHd0ZWc/view?usp=docslist_api
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artesea wrote: »
    I believe it'll be Freeview for the FTA channels so you'll still need an aerial.

How pointless! I can't see a single use for that. Maybe connecting it to a hdmi monitor without a tuner but how many people will that help?
    Forum Member
    How pointless! I can't see a single use for that. Maybe connecting it to a hdmi monitor without a tuner but how many people will that help?
    EE, TalkTalk and BT have all found that customers are willing to use dual purpose boxes.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I believe it'll be Freeview for the FTA channels so you'll still need an aerial. However it is possible to watch TVPlayer on NOW TV right now if you are willing to sideload my app. No ads, but also no Plus.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B787MtHYmgPnbEtOT2JJNHd0ZWc/view?usp=docslist_api

Will your app work ok if side-loaded onto a Roku 2?
    Forum Member
    speedyrite wrote: »
    Will your app work ok if side-loaded onto a Roku 2?
    Yup, but this is the easier way https://my.roku.com/add/arteseatvp
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Yup, but this is the easier way https://my.roku.com/add/arteseatvp

Even better! Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, many will like this. Most people find changing HDMI ports too difficult, so having it all mixed into one, Now TV may hope it keeps people on their HDMI #1 port.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Sadly, many will like this. Most people find changing HDMI ports too difficult, so having it all mixed into one, Now TV may hope it keeps people on their HDMI #1 port.
    Agreed. By having to select source to get Now TV, some Freeview users would be deterred from accessing it.
    I wonder if the Now TV remote control will be able to replace the TV remote?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Roku 4 have a DVB tuner? If not, it seems a lot of expensive customisation to go to for relatively small gain?
    Forum Member
    Does the Roku 4 have a DVB tuner? If not, it seems a lot of expensive customisation to go to for relatively small gain?

No, but then these aren't Roku 4 boxes. Yes the casing looks very similar, but neither Sky or Roku are quoting spec.
    Also Roku will be looking to use them in other countries, either under the Sky branding in Italy and Germany or under other providers looking at a quick win.