Options

Silence at the end of a film.

PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is there that awkward silence at the end of a film as everyone heads to the exit? Seems some people need those few minutes to gather there thoughts on what they have just seen before discussing the film on the ride home.

I find it strange and wonder if in other country's people are more vocal as soon as a film ends. I know in some places people applaud or boo, never seen it happen in the UK mind.

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    London Film Festival screenings often get applause.

But that's usually because the director is present.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people applauded at the end of La La Land when I saw it.

The worst films for awkwardness are the Marvel ones, where some people stand up as soon as the credits start, others stay seated for a few minutes, and others hang on until the final post-credits scene. At the end of Doctor Strange there were about 20 of us hanging around, mostly standing or leaning against the handrails, plus three bemused staff members waiting to sweep the floor.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the lights come on as the credits start, then that's it, you can get up and leave, unless you feel the need to enjoy the end credits music or have a think about what you have just seen. If the lights stay off, then there are post-credit scenes so you might want to stay seated if they are your thing.

Personally, I like the silence to have a think about the film. I'm not sure if it is a real thing or not, but American cinemas with the very vocal audience whooping and cheering at every little thing in an action film would put me right off.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually need to get out as quickly as possible in order to urinate. :o
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Why is there that awkward silence at the end of a film as everyone heads to the exit? Seems some people need those few minutes to gather there thoughts on what they have just seen before discussing the film on the ride home.

I find it strange and wonder if in other country's people are more vocal as soon as a film ends. I know in some places people applaud or boo, never seen it happen in the UK mind.

The whole audience stood and applauded at the end of Strictly Ballroom when I saw it in a West End cinema in the 1990's. The same thing happened in my local cinema at the end of Mama Mia. :)
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't call it an 'awkward' silence. When you've got a large crowd of people all heading for the same exit(s) down a flight of stairs in semi-darkness, it doesn't pay to try to have a conversation at the same time. Also, there obviously is talking and muttering - I've never encountered literal silence - but most people are self-aware and self-conscious enough to know that no-one else gives a damn what you (the general you) thought of the film, where to go to eat, or that you're bursting for a pee, so tend to keep these comments until they're at least in the corridor.

I think the only time I've heard actual applause for a film was for Les Miserables, and I daresay that was from the die-hard theatre goers. I've never experienced a standing ovation, and I hope I never do.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    London Film Festival screenings often get applause.

But that's usually because the director is present.
    That's understandable.
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Some people applauded at the end of La La Land when I saw it.

The worst films for awkwardness are the Marvel ones, where some people stand up as soon as the credits start, others stay seated for a few minutes, and others hang on until the final post-credits scene. At the end of Doctor Strange there were about 20 of us hanging around, mostly standing or leaning against the handrails, plus three bemused staff members waiting to sweep the floor.
    Haha, I sometimes just find it easier to google the mid credit/after credit scene when I get home.
    pad_ehh wrote: »
    American cinemas with the very vocal audience whooping and cheering at every little thing in an action film would put me right off.
    Me too, suppose it's like the people that applaud when there plane lands safely.
    I usually need to get out as quickly as possible in order to urinate. :o
    Good point!
    The whole audience stood and applauded at the end of Strictly Ballroom when I saw it in a West End cinema in the 1990's. The same thing happened in my local cinema at the end of Mama Mia. :)
    And I thought this kind of thing only happened in the States!
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I have heard applause after a film many times in the US, but only once in the UK, after an early preview of the first American Pie film, funnily enough!

One of the most fun cinema experiences I have ever had was watching a late night showing of Burlesque (not my choice!) in Chelsea, Manhattan (known for being the gay district), the day before Thanksgiving. The audience was in a brilliant mood and knew the film was a load of rubbish, but FUN rubbish! There were a lot of groans at supposed comedy moments, and enormouslaughs at moments that were not supposed to be funny, and cheers whenever Cher appeared onscreen. Also, riotous applause at the end!

In the same cinema a few months earlier, Toy Story 3 was given an emotional standing ovation :D I do enjoy the american movie-going experience!
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Mamma Mia was probably the most bizarre visit to the cinema I have known. It was like people didnt realise it was a film and thought it was a live stage musical. The end scene especially. Dozens of people clapping in time to Waterloo. When that ended huge rounds of applause.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes clap a really good film I've watched alone on TV. God knows why.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At preview screenings of Bladerunner and Robocop in the 80s there was definitely no silence: the audiences for both went barmy, clapping and cheering for ages.
  • Options
    TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stay quiet cause there are almost always still people watching the screen
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the film, after "A Monster Calls" I (& it seems the rest of the audience) needed a few minutes to compose ourselves. Others leave so little impression on me that I'm up and ready to go the moment the credits roll
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that most films in British cinemas do seem to go quiet. Especially, af ter a drama or thriller. If it is animated then it is most likely to be applauded. A friend on of mine went to see Wallace and Gromit, the case of the were wolf and that got a standing ovation.

I myself have not seen that. The most I have ween was the odd cheer and clap when a film has concluded.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience its the movies that offer a theatre type experience that get the applause, the last film I saw that got an applause at the end was Les Miserables. Personally I tend to make a point of being quite vocal when I come out the cinema if I really love or hate a film. Went to see Midnight Special and got into a chat with other attendees coming out of that I thought it was great, but when people were praising Independence Day 2 on exit I wanted to shake them and ask if they had ever been to the cinema before it was that bad..