Helping at Christmas

babinabababinaba Posts: 5,440
Forum Member
Hi,

This Christmas I have arranged to go to my mum's house to spend the day with my family. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas Day and I was thinking that next Christmas Day that I'd like to help out/volunteer somewhere - soup kitchen or something similar, I don't even know if they exist over here or if that's just an American thing? I'd rather do something helpful for others if possible.

Any other ideas? I'm happy to spend most of Christmas Day during the day helping and nipping to see family later on to give presents etc. I can drive so don't mind driving somewhere and I'm in Scotland.

Thanks
bab
x

Comments

• postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your local councillor should know of any Halfway house, Sally Army , or other such places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I would check with your local church as many will run things on Christmas day. One nearby me is running a Christmas lunch for people who would be spending it alone and are arranging transport for them as well which I thought was a lovely idea. I'd imagine that is not the only church in Scotland running this kind of thing so I would check them if it is something you really want to do... it's a lovely idea for you to spend your day helping others out.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'll make a note in my diary for next year to contact these places :)
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do have soup kitchens over here. My friend volunteered to help at one on Christmas day for two years running and said she really enjoyed being able to do that. Maybe a local volunteer beureau could help with this.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like a lovely idea. I really admire anyone who gives their time like this. Best of luck with it bab.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soup Kitchen's are for life, not just for Christmas....
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Soup Kitchen's are for life, not just for Christmas....

Excellent point
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That sounds like a lovely idea! I wish I could do something like that but my parents probably won't let me :cry:
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know an elderly couple who served Xmas lunch to homeless people at the Sally Army for many years.

I'm not sure, but lots of charities have to have their volunteers vetted see days and I'm wondering whether you have left it too late for this year. I hope not obviously. :)

My daughter went to volunteer in a charity shop a few weeks ago and she has to be vetted and police checked just for working one afternoon a week alongside other staff.
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is probably too late to get the requisite CRB / Disclosure checks that are now necessary processed for this Christmas. However, absolutely put it on your New Years Resolution list.

see : http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk

for the necessary steps.

Volunteering is an amazingly rewarding experience.

Many years ago, as a student, I was a naughty boy and was ordered by the court to do a period of community service. I did 3 or 4 hours every Friday afternoon at a local community centre.

The centre catered for young mums / mums-to-be, social get-togethers, fitness classes, adult learning classes, a basic lending library, some credit union type facilities and care-package gifting. Just a multi-purpose facility to help in the local community.

I was put to use in the kitchen. I helped unpack and reheat meals that came from a central cooking facility, set tables, serve meals to members of the lunch club. Occasionally when a regular of the lunch club was not well enough to attend I would be sent out as a runner to take them, and plate up a hot meal ( this was before CRB / disclosure checks became the norm ).

I hated it at first. When I completed my community service obligations and was standing in front of the centre manager as she signed off my completion booklet I thanked her and immediately asked to continue on a purely voluntary basis. That period of "service" had a permanent influence on me. I helped repaint homes of the elderly, raise money for a centre mini-bus and convinced my Uni to donate a dozen old but capable PC's to the centre.

25 years later I rarely have the time to personally volunteer but along with another company now sponsor, maintain and finance their mini bus, have helped set-up partnerships with other charitable and community groups within the city and successfully fought the closure of this facility.

That period of community service has had a profound and lasting affect on my life.