Anyone been to see The Sweeney yet

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    saw it last night and it made absolutely no sense what so ever, both me and my friend came out of the cinema totally flummoxed.

ok, so...
    why were the two criminal masterminds together at the end, were they lovers? What was the connection? :confused: Who was that Serbian bloke with the gunshot wound?:confused: Who was the insider who accepted the stolen gold ingots?:confused: Why was Steven Mackintosh married to that trampy police woman?:confused: Why was that trampy police woman banging Ray Winstone?:confused:

on the plus side, Ben Drew had a rather fine package. :p
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw this last night, got to agree with all the negative comments so far, Winstone needs to learn how to act, way too old ,ugly and fat to be Regan.

Cannot add anything in regards to the Plan B Dic apart from FFS.

Poor script, direction and the director needs to be thrown in a deep dark hole, it was an embarrassing mess, and I may be in the minority when I say it but even Danny Dyer would have been an improvement on the muppets who crapped as Regan/Carter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its late and my mind is concentrating on bed but I hated the film, not quite sure why but I did. It was too long, too dull and the plot faults were ludicrous. What was the point of the prisons scenes, it added nothing to the film, made no sense at all other than it killed 15 minutes in the film. I couldnt understand a word that Plan B mumbled. Save your money and tune into ITV4, that is the home of the real Sweeney
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't quite believe it but it's knocked Dredd 3D off the top spot and is now the UK's No1 film at the box office.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bits with ray winstone and hayley atwell were gross. sorry but an old overweight bloke banking an attractive woman half his age is male wish fullfilment and nothing else.

the trafalgar square bit was ok but this film is exactly what you would think it is
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The devil himself couldn't have shat out a more execrable film.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it.

I thought it was OK, but then, I didn't expect it to be a classic.

Just treat it as a loud action flick & ridiculous escapism & it won't disappoint.
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. I quite enjoyed it. I thought it ludicrous that Hayley Atwell's character would want to bang Ray Winstone - Ray Winstone in pants = not a good look. And the sex scenes were just cringy but that may have had something to do with the fact that I had my 15 year old son in tow.

Subtitles for Plan B wouldn't have gone amiss. And I didn't understand why the
    bad guys were taking photos of Regan and Carter
    and
    was the woman who got shot by bad guys in the jewellers- was she helping them ?
    But if guns and car chases through caravan parks are your thing, I would give it a go. The shoot out in Trafalger Square and the National Gallery was quite spectacular.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think I'd enjoy it but I thought it was really good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't think it will win any oscars I found it rather enjoyable except for the scenes where Winstone is rolling around in his Y fronts with his belly hanging out.

I also learnt that it wasn't a real Ford Focus ST used but a 1.6 Titanium instead. It probably doesn't matter to most people but if you like your cars then you may feel shortchanged. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha when the guy stops, turns round then shoots the woman in the bank. it is quite obvious from first viewing it was deliberate. haha they watch it about 5 times and say "something ain't right about this" then suddenly RW goes "did you see?? he STOPS THEN TURNS ROUND"

was that supposed to be a eureka moment??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original Sweeney, and as a huge fan also of Plan B, i'd been waiting ages to see this remake. Went to see it last night & was not disapointed, it was a long film, but so fast paced, it felt like only an hour, i also thought Ray Winston, played Regan excellently. I can't wait to go & see it it again very soon! highly recommended by me! :)
    ps Plan B is not in a boyband! he is a very talented, singer, songwriter & rapper. The Defammation Of Strickland Banks & his latest album Ill Manors are both masterpieces imo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7LGK3UhxA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazmac wrote: »
    I loved the original Sweeney, and as a huge fan also of Plan B, i'd been waiting ages to see this remake. Went to see it last night & was not disapointed, it was a long film, but so fast paced, it felt like only an hour, i also thought Ray Winston, played Regan excellently. I can't wait to go & see it it again very soon! highly recommended by me! :)
    ps Plan B is not in a boyband! he is a very talented, singer, songwriter & rapper. The Defammation Of Strickland Banks & his latest album Ill Manors are both masterpieces imo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7LGK3UhxA

Thanks i needed a laugh, Plan B moron is a joke, no credible talent at all and what kind of James Blount clone calls himself Plan B.

Winstone was dire, a fat very obnoxious mess and his sex scenes were just sickening, made me want to puke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbf i do think plan b is talented - stickland banks and ill manors (film and album) are great

he's no actor though
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Gets a vague thumbs up from Sight & Sound, btw.

Gist: it's a Nick Love film. You should know what to expect. Largely witless, but some good action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks i needed a laugh, Plan B moron is a joke, no credible talent at all and what kind of James Blount clone calls himself Plan B.

Winstone was dire, a fat very obnoxious mess and his sex scenes were just sickening, made me want to puke.

Plan B is so unlike James Blunt, can't even think why you're comparing them. Have you ever actually listened to either of the albums i mentioned? & i don't see why a name makes him any less credible. Oh but i do agree about those sex scenes, they were uncalled for & made me feel quite queasy too
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    I went earlier this week and to be honest, for what it was it was enjoyable enough.

I think if you just try to forget John Thaw, Dennis Waterman etc and just watch this as a stand-alone film then it's fine.

To be honest the TV series had 4 runs over 5 years to develop the characters wheras this film has less than 2 hours.

And Ray Winstone, much as he's a decent enough actor, isn't and never will be, the late, great and sadly-missed John Thaw.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I wasn't going to see this, but last weekend, there was just nothing else on, that looked any good......

Good points...
    Trafalgar Sq shoot out, is very good. :eek:
    Hayley Atwell...no pun intended, I loved.;)

Bad points....
    Just about everything else, from the Story to the Baddies, who in the original Sweeney, had some character, and who were seen more.

Ray W, totally wrong for the part.....{poor Hayley}
    Plan B, can't act....where's Plan A.
    How did he get up after being knocked down by that Car at the end
    Caravans; no place in a Sweeney Movie.

And I don't remember Jack driving in the Original {he had a Driver}, yes the Car Chase down the lane was, spontaneous action, but at the Happy Ending, he, Jack, drove the Car.

5/10
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it lets the original down, especially the bit where the main character keeps screaming "not the bees, not the bees.."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazmac wrote: »
    Plan B is so unlike James Blunt, can't even think why you're comparing them. Have you ever actually listened to either of the albums i mentioned? & i don't see why a name makes him any less credible. Oh but i do agree about those sex scenes, they were uncalled for & made me feel quite queasy too

I'm not angry at Plan B, I think the reason why I'm so down on the cast and movie is because I'm appalled that a classic has been ruined, and its safe to say if Plan B and Winstone were in a situation where certain death was near then I'd save Plan B every time.
  • AbacussAbacuss Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Went to see this yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Some great action pieces, car chases and shootouts to keep it moving, especially the spectacularly staged Trafalgar Square shootout. Serbian bankrobbers were awesome in dealing with The Sweeney. The crap scenes, of which there were quite a few, were nicely backed up with a tension-building soundtrack from Johnny Marr (former guitarist from The Smiths). The script and plot was fairly weak, however, and riddled with holes, although this didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the film, as it is what it is, an enjoyably violent and brutal, fast-paced, modern-day, cops and robbers flick, with added humour and some superb aerial shots of London and its skyline.

I thought the performances were pretty good. Can't really go wrong with Ray Winstone in a film, even though he is a bit of an ugly fat bastard in this, and Plan B's character was likeable, particularly towards the end. I had no trouble understanding what he was saying and I'm fairly well spoken.

Alot's been said about the relationship between Regan and Hayley Atwell's character, it being cringeworth and purely male wish fulfilment, but what amused me was that at one point in the film, she is asked why she is seeing Regan when she's married to the internal affairs guy, and she repiled, 'because the sex is better'. The first sex scene he ejaculates prematurely, the second he's seen fumbling about in his grotty shreddies, and the third, he fails to get it up.....:eek::D

But its definitely worth a watch. I'd give it 7/10
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went earlier this week and to be honest, for what it was it was enjoyable enough.

I think if you just try to forget John Thaw, Dennis Waterman etc and just watch this as a stand-alone film then it's fine.

To be honest the TV series had 4 runs over 5 years to develop the characters wheras this film has less than 2 hours.

And Ray Winstone, much as he's a decent enough actor, isn't and never will be, the late, great and sadly-missed John Thaw.

Agree with this.

The main problem with this film was calling it The Sweeney.

When you do something like that, you are risking the wrath of people who remember the original & alienating younger viewers who might think the film is dated.

It's very hard to make a modern film based on an old TV show & set in the the present.

The Miami Vice film of 2006 had a similar problem & was poor for that that reason.

Anyone wishing to make a big screen version of an old TV show needs to learn from the 2004 Starsky & Hutch film; that was set in the 70s & that's why it worked for me.

If they had set it in 2004, it would have fallen flat on its face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    on the plus side, Ben Drew had a rather fine package. :p

I rather much doubt Barry Norman would have considered that in any review. :rolleyes:
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plan b should stick to what he is good at, whatever that is...

yeah he is a great song writer, when I watched this the Lennon Mcartney partnership came to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4s5eKdheCM
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only want to see it to see plan B's acting