Winter Fuel Payment

beth0o0beth0o0 Posts: 1,399
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can you get the payment if born in 1954 and are 60 year old now with health problems and in receipt of esa/dla? thanks

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are 60 you get it.
  • beth0o0beth0o0 Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, I've been told I'm not entitled to it so needed clarification.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beth0o0 wrote: »
    Oh right, I've been told I'm not entitled to it so needed clarification.

This is online to read.
    https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview
    Says born 1952, so I was wrong, sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member

On age grounds you qualify if you were born on or before 5 July 1952 (if you're 62 now) . But you may qualify if you're in receipt of certain benefits.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've just got my first payment now and I was born 1952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topaz10 wrote: »
    On age grounds you qualify if you were born on or before 5 July 1952 (if you're 62 now) . But you may qualify if you're in receipt of certain benefits.

Ah right, born 1954 so only just turned 60 this year. I am in receipt of dla , esa on medical grounds and my husband receives carers for looking after me.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right, born 1954 so only just turned 60 this year. I am in receipt of dla , esa on medical grounds and my husband receives carers for looking after me.

I don't know about Winter Fuel Allowance, but as somebody who receives ESA & DLA, I think you'll receive a £25 cold weather payment for every week where the average temperature is 0c or less, which should be of some help.

Postcode checker here: https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/overview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't know about Winter Fuel Allowance, but as somebody who receives ESA & DLA, I think you'll receive a £25 cold weather payment for every week where the average temperature is 0c or less, which should be of some help.

Postcode checker here: https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/overview

Thank you Hynodisc. no doubt I would of been entitled to a winter fuel payment if they hadn't of changed the rules as others would have been also.
  • petertreepetertree Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's if you are an OAP you get it, which (for a woman) is now on a sliding scale. There are other conditions, such as if you are the only one in your house entitled, so worth looking up.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    petertree wrote: »
    It's if you are an OAP you get it, which (for a woman) is now on a sliding scale. There are other conditions, such as if you are the only one in your house entitled, so worth looking up.

<Sigh>

It is not related to State Retirement Age and gender has no bearing on eligibility.

Instead of suggesting that someone looks it up, you should check your facts before posting misleading information.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

EDIT

If (notwithstanding your user name) you are a woman and the age shown in your profile is correct, then you qualify for the 2014-15 Winter Fuel Allowance because you were 62 in February 2014.

As it happens, you also reached your State Pension age at around the same time (6th January 2014) but this isn't the reason that you qualify for the Winter Fuel Allowance this year.
  • petertreepetertree Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertree wrote: »
    Sorry should have said it's if you are the equivalent age for a woman to get their OAP. But again, I would say look it up on the government sites as there are conditions, such as who else is in your household, as to how much you get.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partners dad (born April 1952) got his for the first time this year. My dad (born October 1952) does not qualify until next year
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you get the payment if born in 1954 and are 60 year old now with health problems and in receipt of esa/dla? thanks

The DWP will have written to inform you if you are entitled.

Phone them and ask.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 62 by the time I had the WFP and I’m registered disable so illness or anything else seems to have no barring on it being paid.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    terry45 wrote: »
    The DWP will have written to inform you if you are entitled.

Not in the OP's case, they won't - she has not yet reached the trigger point of 62 years of age and receipt of ESA/DLA has no bearing on eligibility.

The details of the scheme and the eligibility requirements are quite straightforward and are explained in everyday language on the gov.uk website (link in post #11).

There are only 4 pages so you might want to read them ...