Options

Best sub £500 mattress for a 'heavy' person

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking to buy a new mattress but i'm on the heavy side (17ish stone) so am concerned about getting one that supports me properly. I was given my current mattress second hand 7 years ago (it was 7 years old then) and it's very firm; I don't find it particularly comfortable but i've also never had any back pain in those 7 years.

I'm happy to pay up to around £500 for a double but i'd prefer to pay less. I'm a very functional guy, I don't care about having something that perfectly moulds to my body or is made with cashmere or anything like that. Just want to be able to get a decent nights sleep and feel ok the next day.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Wait until the January sales then look for a Hypnos mattress, I've got one and it's the best mattress I've ever slept on. They are not cheap though. House of Fraser sell them and sometimes have offers/sales. Also the Co-op sell them and they sometimes have those members offers where you get 20% off when you first join.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be heavy but obviously you'll cover a greater surface area than someone who is slimmer/lighter so it might not be the problem that you expect.

Best to go to the shops and have a look and try them out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking to buy a new mattress but i'm on the heavy side (17ish stone) so am concerned about getting one that supports me properly. I was given my current mattress second hand 7 years ago (it was 7 years old then) and it's very firm; I don't find it particularly comfortable but i've also never had any back pain in those 7 years.

I'm happy to pay up to around £500 for a double but i'd prefer to pay less. I'm a very functional guy, I don't care about having something that perfectly moulds to my body or is made with cashmere or anything like that. Just want to be able to get a decent nights sleep and feel ok the next day.

Thanks in advance.

Keep your current mattress and just by a memory foam topper and pillows. Keep the support of the stiff mattress with the soft, radiant embrace of the form fitting support memory foam provides. Alternatively you could get hybrid foam topper/mattress for a bit more but if the current mattress/divan combo supports you and you just want more comfort, a topper might be the cheaper and simpler solution.
    http://www.bodymouldmattresses.co.uk/memory-foam/memory-foam-mattress-toppers/memory-foam-mattress-toppers-foam-quality

Get a reasonably priced steam cleaner to use on it at the end of a week, take it to the dry cleaners every three months... it's a cheaper option I feel. Try there, they have a sale on currently too.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Have a read of this Which? guide to choosing a mattress and I suggest you take out a trial sub for £1 to see the online mattress reviews: http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/home-improvements/guides/choosing-the-best-type-of-mattress/. Also I would recommend a visit to John Lewis (and see what's going cheap in their post Xmas sale) as the staff in the bedding department are very knowledgeable and helpful.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just bought a new king size bed from Dreams, I would say buy from somewhere on the high street if possible, ok you may pay abit more than online but at least you can try the bed your buying, very important!

We got a medium firm and it's very firm for me but I'll see how I go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try ikea - my husband is 6'4 and about 17st. We have the sultan hjelmas matress and it's fantastic.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can recommend the following. Don't worry about the back care bit, its a firm mattress which the larger person needs and provides just the right amount of give for your weight.

http://www.beds2go.co.uk/mattresses_sleepeezee_traditionalbackcare.htm
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Wait until the January sales then look for a Hypnos mattress, I've got one and it's the best mattress I've ever slept on. They are not cheap though. House of Fraser sell them and sometimes have offers/sales. Also the Co-op sell them and they sometimes have those members offers where you get 20% off when you first join.

I second Hynos as I have one and nothing can beat a duck down filled pocket sprung mattress. As they're hand made (in the uk) if you're willing to pay extra they can be made to your exact specification but you're looking over your budget for that privilege.

If you want to go more mass market Sealy are supposed to be good but whatever you buy go for pocket spring As the foundation as it offers the support you need without being too firm.

Memory foam is a bit marmite as you'll either love it or hate it. If you do go for memory foam make sure it has a "summer" side like some of the ones I looked at did.