Who Saw Richard Gere On Graham Norton's Show? Was He There Under Duress?....

StykerStyker Posts: 49,542
Forum Member
.....Or something?!!!!! I ask that as it seemed to me he really didn't want to be there and didn't like or enjoy being asked about anything or didn't seem to want to talk much about anything!

He didn't even seem that keen on talking about his latest film either.

In my sincere opinion I am of the view that Hollywood actors often hate being asked about anything other than their latest film and this is really getting on my nerves! TV people in general, especially BBC/ITV, if you read this, please make sure that you have it agreed with the actors and their agents that they could well be asked about their previous roles and wider career and life and if they don't like that then don't put them on!!!!!!!!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Why not just add to the discussion in the Graham Norton thread?
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,542
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why not just add to the discussion in the Graham Norton thread?

I tried to find it but couldn't se it on the first 6 pages! In any case, I think Gere was so offish, that it needs its own thread.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's just a difficult person to interview. He seemed more affable than I remember him in the past and he spent an inordinate amount of time walking amongst the audience as though they were his 'flock'. I didn't get the impression he was there under duress though, just difficult to get a straight answer from. Nowhere near as difficult as Meg Ryan and Anne Bancroft on Parkinson though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    .....Or something?!!!!! I ask that as it seemed to me he really didn't want to be there and didn't like or enjoy being asked about anything or didn't seem to want to talk much about anything!

He didn't even seem that keen on talking about his latest film either.

In my sincere opinion I am of the view that Hollywood actors often hate being asked about anything other than their latest film and this is really getting on my nerves! TV people in general, especially BBC/ITV, if you read this, please make sure that you have it agreed with the actors and their agents that they could well be asked about their previous roles and wider career and life and if they don't like that then don't put them on!!!!!!!!

Look at it from his point of view - Filming for Arbitrage began early 2011 - it was shown in the states mid 2012 - to then promote it all over again in 2013 in the UK because he is contractually obliged is too must be a little tedious.
    He also stated that he will now only do films that are an hour travelling distance to his home and his weekends are for his family.
    So to travel thousands of miles to promote a project that is year old for such a dedicated family man must not be much fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's just a difficult person to interview. He seemed more affable than I remember him in the past and he spent an inordinate amount of time walking amongst the audience as though they were his 'flock'. I didn't get the impression he was there under duress though, just difficult to get a straight answer from. Nowhere near as difficult as Meg Ryan and Anne Bancroft on Parkinson though.

The Meg Ryan interview you are referring to on Parky's show was spun to make her look awful. In fact if you watch it again on You Tube, Parkinson was the one at fault, he became rude and obnoxious when he realised she was an extremely bright and intelligent interviewee.
    Watch it again, I promise you that you will change your mind. I did.
    She was actually very intellectual in her response to his questions. The reason she didn't want to be there was because he was belittling everything she said.
    The program was spun by the media and that segment was highlighted to generate ratings.
    A real shame for the lady.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I thought he was much more relaxed than previous interviews Ive seen..couldnt believe the way he "worked" the audience when he came on. I think he carried on the running theme of the show's researchers failing as a laugh.
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    Look at it from his point of view - Filming for Arbitrage began early 2011 - it was shown in the states mid 2012 - to then promote it all over again in 2013 in the UK because he is contractually obliged is too must be a little tedious.
    He also stated that he will now only do films that are an hour travelling distance to his home and his weekends are for his family.
    So to travel thousands of miles to promote a project that is year old for such a dedicated family man must not be much fun.
    The Meg Ryan interview you are referring to on Parky's show was spun to make her look awful. In fact if you watch it again on You Tube, Parkinson was the one at fault, he became rude and obnoxious when he realised she was an extremely bright and intelligent interviewee.
    She was actually very intellectual in her response to his questions. The reason she didn't want to be there was because he was belittling everything she said.
    The program was spun by the media and that segment was highlighted to generate ratings.

Well if Gere doesn't like doing publicity for the films he appears in, maybe he shouldn't appear in the films at all then and let someone else who doesn't mind doing publicity do the roles instead. I don't like chat shows being used as just platforms for plugging of actors latest films either, either they should be there to be interviewed about their life and career in general or no deal I say. Especially when the actors are probably getting an appearance fee from our licence money too.

On the Meg Ryan interview, I blamed her. She seemed to get offish with the way Parky described her film and it was all downhill from there. I saw the interview before the reaction to it so I don't know how watching it again will change things.

p.s. Back to Gere, I think he was trying to waste time by going round walking up to the audience. He said something to Norton when he got back and if I heard it correctly he said something like "that will knock 10 minutes off your show"! :mad:
  • kleinzachkleinzach Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if Gere doesn't like doing publicity for the films he appears in, maybe he shouldn't appear in the films at all then and let someone else who doesn't mind doing publicity do the roles instead. I don't like chat shows being used as just platforms for plugging of actors latest films either, either they should be there to be interviewed about their life and career in general or no deal I say. Especially when the actors are probably getting an appearance fee from our licence money too.

On the Meg Ryan interview, I blamed her. She seemed to get offish with the way Parky described her film and it was all downhill from there. I saw the interview before the reaction to it so I don't know how watching it again will change things.

p.s. Back to Gere, I think he was trying to waste time by going round walking up to the audience. He said something to Norton when he got back and if I heard it correctly he said something like "that will knock 10 minutes off your show"! :mad:

Actors do interviews for one reason and one reason only. To promote the project they are doing. It is not in their interests to allow anything other than what they are promoting to dominate the interviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have watched it and she very cleverly corrected his misinterpretation of the film. She wasn't 'off' with him, but was doing a good job of describing her character in the film. He obviously took offence to this and then began his rather immature dig at her. The fact is he was wrong and made her very uncomfortable. Contrary to what was promoted at that time she is a highly intelligent woman.
    Forum Member
    kleinzach wrote: »
    Actors do interviews for one reason and one reason only. To promote the project they are doing. It is not in their interests to allow anything other than what they are promoting to dominate the interviews.

No, I've seen actors talk about their wider careers both on British TV and on American shows. It seems to me that actors are not getting as many roles as they used to, have a lot more competition from other actors and have to settle for films that often go straight to DVD too. So I don't think actors should be so offish and using the word offish is putting it very mildly.

Also on that the film was made in 2011, so what? The fiim Sexy Beast was made in the late 90's and was on the shelf for about 4 years before it got a distributor and then was nominated for Oscars!
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actors when they make a film, as part of their contract, agree to promote it. So they are all there under obligation.

However some enjoy it whilst others are reminded of a film they made decades ago and are asked/expected to do silly lines from it and other puerile nonsense.

It's the same if not much worse on the One Show.
  • Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Maybe his gerbil died?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's just a difficult person to interview. He seemed more affable than I remember him in the past.....

I shared a few beers with one of the supporting actors on First Knight and he (and the rest of the cast and crew) couldn’t praise Gere highly enough. Kind and considerate to everyone on the set and off, no airs and graces and no starry Hollywood bullshit - They loved him. Which is more than could be said for their feelings towards “the legendary” Sean Connery......

Gere’s wife, Carey Lowell (ex-Bond girl from Licence to Kill) Is/was insanely hot.
    Forum Member
    Actors when they make a film, as part of their contract, agree to promote it. So they are all there under obligation.

However some enjoy it whilst others are reminded of a film they made decades ago and are asked/expected to do silly lines from it and other puerile nonsense.

It's the same if not much worse on the One Show.

But they don't mind taking the money though that only comes from the wider world public one way or the other right but talking a bit about their life and career is all too much?

If that isn't taking fans for granted and maybe treating fans disdainlfully albeit indirectly, then I don't know what is!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've always thought Parky was at least as much at fault. He droned on about it for years after but at least he finally shut up about Emu!

The trouble with 'Parky is he started in an age when guests would not necessarily have anything to promote and was lucky enough to have some great story tellers on like David Niven, Billy Connelly, Peter Ustinov etc. They didn't need to be 'interveiwed' as such because they enjoyed using the stage to entertain. Unfortunately Parky started to believe his own publicity and his ego just grew and grew.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the Meg Ryan interview, and it was only when reading this thread that I thought about searching it out on U-tube. I have never been a big fan of Meg Ryan, but I thought the interview was appaulling, and Parky was at fault. I thought the interviewers job was to put their guests at ease .. and he failed dismally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought Parky was at least as much at fault. He droned on about it for years after but at least he finally shut up about Emu!

The trouble with 'Parky is he started in an age when guests would not necessarily have anything to promote and was lucky enough to have some great story tellers on like David Niven, Billy Connelly, Peter Ustinov etc. They didn't need to be 'interveiwed' as such because they enjoyed using the stage to entertain. Unfortunately Parky started to believe his own publicity and his ego just grew and grew.

I couldn't agree more. I remember at the time of the Meg Ryan interview believing she was nuts due to all the hype surrounding it. It was only more than a decade later I watched the interview in full and could not fault her - In fact he was so obnoxious towards her that her only fault was not walking off!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. I remember at the time of the Meg Ryan interview believing she was nuts due to all the hype surrounding it. It was only more than a decade later I watched the interview in full and could not fault her - In fact he was so obnoxious towards her that her only fault was not walking off!;)

I forgot to add that he's always struck me as being, if not a misogynist, then very patronising towards women.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add that he's always struck me as being, if not a misogynist, then very patronising towards women.

There's a horrible interview with Helen Mirren early on in her career when he just talks about her breasts all the time, it's unbelievably dated and sexist. Just like Parky really.
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Going off topic here, but can I just say thank you for this post.

I remember watching that interview and being very surprised at Parky as he seemed to be confrontational almost from the off.

He was always a bit of a pussy cat with his guests and didn't generally ask the awkward questions or go on the attack at all. But the interview with Meg Ryan seemed very different. I wouldn't say he was aggressive, but there was definitely a different style of questioning going on there.

I talked about this recently with a younger colleague who insisted that she was a pain and that I was defending her. I tried to get through to him that I was watching Parkinson before he was born and I knew what I was talking about and I thought Parky was being a bit argumentative with her and that it seemed like he didn't actually like her.

A bit hard to explain what I felt, but I know what I mean! I'm glad someone else feels the same. I might have to go and watch that interview again.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just watched it again (the last few minutes) and she's nowhere near as bad as I remember and Parkinson does appear to be casting judgement upon her. What's so hard about understanding that an actress doesn't necessarily enjoy all the attention that being a movie star attracts? :confused: Many actors and actresses are quite shy when not adopting a personna.

When I first saw it I thought she was on drugs, but I think that was maybe due to the startled expression she had from too much botox :p

However, the Anne Bancroft interview was excrutiating, though I can't find it anywhere. She wasn't good on Wogan either. Probably had to do it to promote a movie.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they don't mind taking the money though that only comes from the wider world public one way or the other right but talking a bit about their life and career is all too much?

If that isn't taking fans for granted and maybe treating fans disdainlfully albeit indirectly, then I don't know what is!

Yes but "Fans" decide to attach themselves to people of their own free will. They have no right to anything. An actor may just like acting and that is their job, not to please a bunch of people who have decided to follow the actor.

That is the usual "We have made you so we own you" nonsense that is Fanatical.

Many a great movie star with millions of fans have never or very rarely given interviews. Paul Newman hardly ever signed autographs. They owe no one anything!
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Totally agree and towards the end of the show he even got Trinny and Susannah (who were also guests) to comment on her clothes:rolleyes:. He was totally in the wrong imo.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched it and she very cleverly corrected his misinterpretation of the film. She wasn't 'off' with him, but was doing a good job of describing her character in the film. He obviously took offence to this and then began his rather immature dig at her. The fact is he was wrong and made her very uncomfortable. Contrary to what was promoted at that time she is a highly intelligent woman.

Agreed, I have always thought he was at fault and it suited his image as the professional Yorkshireman. I never thought he was a particularly good interviewer, he did some good interviews but that was because he was given plenty of time and had some good subjects to interview.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yes but "Fans" decide to attach themselves to people of their own free will. They have no right to anything. An actor may just like acting and that is their job, not to please a bunch of people who have decided to follow the actor.

That is the usual "We have made you so we own you" nonsense that is Fanatical.

Many a great movie star with millions of fans have never or very rarely given interviews. Paul Newman hardly ever signed autographs. They owe no one anything!

I'll have to second that, the sense of entitlement some people get around actors/performers gets on my nerves.
    The product is on screen or on stage, you've paid for that and that's all you're 'owed'

On the earlier point of performers only turning up if they've got something to promote.
    Kenneth Williams was a performer/showoff, he turned up on Parkie repeatedly, he and Parkie never got on either.
    Kenny Williams is probably a bad example though he was a whole bundle of neuroses :)
    People do still turn up on shows to chat/perform, appearance fee probably helps a little too.

Oh Talk at the BBC, stuff from the BBC archive, Joan Crawford is particularly good value for the wrong reasons.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/collections/p00p2k2v/talk