Options

E4 Im Spazticus

2»

Comments

• Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic title for a pathetic show. What a load of shit.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the "Little Hitler" sketch to be extremely poor taste, but even worse was that it simply was not funny at all, in any way.

For the series opener it seemed poor throughout, yet the first series seemed so much more amusing than anything tonight. What is it aiming to do, or prove as such, apart from attempting to shock and trying to make people laugh?
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I know Brian Belo and the TOWIE woman are thick but did they know the monkey arm was a joke or not :confused: They cannot be that thick to believe what they were saying ... can they ?

I only watch part of this and don't think I will be watching again. I realize they are taking the pee out of them selves but it just wasn't funny :o

I remember a long while back a sketch or an advert where Paul Daniels was pleading about donating money for an Elephant who had her trunk stuck up her own anus :eek: .. Does anyone else remember this ? I know I didn't dream it and am now wondering if it was to do with the makers of this show.
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I know Brian Belo and the TOWIE woman are thick but did they know the monkey arm was a joke or not :confused: They cannot be that thick to believe what they were saying ... can they ?

I only watch part of this and don't think I will be watching again. I realize they are taking the pee out of them selves but it just wasn't funny :o

I remember a long while back a sketch or an advert where Paul Daniels was pleading about donating money for an Elephant who had her trunk stuck up her own anus :eek: .. Does anyone else remember this ? I know I didn't dream it and am now wondering if it was to do with the makers of this show.

That Paul Daniels thing was from `Brass Eye` by Chris Morris IIRC,I think each half hour programme was dedicated to some invented charity that `celebs` spoke on behalf of (the biggest dupe was Phil Collins). It was very controversial--he fooled real MPs into believing there was a new drug scrouge in Britain called,wait for it, `Cake`,and he ventured into a satire on paedophilia (or media attitudes towards the `threat`) which did not go down too well. It pretty much gave us Ali G and Borat,Dennis Pennis and the whole genre of fooling celebs with fake interviewers. `I`m Spazticus` owes Brass Eye a huge debt,but I don`t think it`s the same chief people,but no doubt some of the staff could have a connection. It must take a lot of skill to set up these fakes,even with targets like Brian Belo.
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    The song was actualy called' spastcus autisticus, and did not have the derogitory spelling of spastic. There was no 'z' involved.
    Just wanted to clear that up. one word is an old fashioned name for a condiion, the other is always used in a derogitory way.

That`s right `spasticus autisticus` is the name for the condition,and `spaz` or `spazzer` the insult version. It`s a generational thing,people growing up in the era leading up to the 70s used it,I don`t hear it much now,and people with learning difficulties don`t seem to be put into separate `remedial` schools as much. The schools were called much worse believe me. `Spaz` was never a term for all disabled people though; a blind person was never a `spaz`. In fact spaz`s weren`t necessarily disabled, just slow.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    That Paul Daniels thing was from `Brass Eye` by Chris Morris IIRC,I think each half hour programme was dedicated to some invented charity that `celebs` spoke on behalf of (the biggest dupe was Phil Collins). It was very controversial--he fooled real MPs into believing there was a new drug scrouge in Britain called,wait for it, `Cake`,and he ventured into a satire on paedophilia (or media attitudes towards the `threat`) which did not go down too well. It pretty much gave us Ali G and Borat,Dennis Pennis and the whole genre of fooling celebs with fake interviewers. `I`m Spazticus` owes Brass Eye a huge debt,but I don`t think it`s the same chief people,but no doubt some of the staff could have a connection. It must take a lot of skill to set up these fakes,even with targets like Brian Belo.

Thanks. I did think I had made it up after I typed it.

They do seem quite similar in parts.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US spastic has retained it's original meaning which is simply hypertensive and uncoordinated, and is commonly used to describe clumsy people and has no taboo attached to it. I remember a few years ago after a poor game Tiger Woods described his playing as spastic, the interview received a huge number of complaints over here. The main reason for the word becoming offensive in the UK was the lazy abbreviation of the condition Spastic applesia cerebral palsy to Spastisism and people with the condition as spastics, if correct medical terminology was used in the first place, then the word would never have gained its taboo status.
  • Options
    Soap VillainSoap Villain Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Watched that pilot on Youtube, thought it was awful.

Watched this new one on Channel 4 last night and thought it had improved a bit, not great but it passed the time.

My problem with a lot of these types of shows is that the British public are often a bit too reserved to react in an amusing way, although the estate agent last night gave the sort of reaction you'd be looking for.

I enjoyed the talking dog in this one, mainly because the Jamaican guys actually played along. The delivery man did his bit and I also quite liked the 'money for a disabled person' sketch where it turns out it's to 'buy one'... although the lad who did so ruined it by being so very boring and just silently walking off.

I noticed that one of the dwarves was a bloke from the C4 documentary 'Seven Dwarves' where they were living together during panto season... so at least he's got a bit of TV work out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    The offensiveness is ruled out when the people involved are actually disabled. That's why The Last Leg gets away with jokes about having an amputated leg. If Jonathan Ross made such jokes, they wouldn't go down too well.

Wouldnt life be so simple if it worked like that? shame it doesn't. I'm not disabled but i find the phrase and title in poor taste and slightly offensive.

My cousin has aspergers and when he was young this phrase was one of the more hurtful (although not technically accurate) thrown at him all the time. Thankfully it has died a death in the last few years, what I find disagreeable is it might prompt people to use it again.

By your logic just because those involved suffer from the affliction I can't be offended? Nope, that's just not logical.
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it because of the possibility of seeing myself inadvertently making a cameo appearance passing by Middlesbrough town centre, because I remember walking past it being filmed and thinking "WTF?" ..... Anyway, it wasn't even that good but I sat through it in case I was on it, and Middlesbrough wasn't even on this week :(