Options

BT Mobile launching next week

Comments

• Options
    Gary_CooperGary_Cooper Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if anyone has/is having the same problem as me getting a new BT sim to work. My hone is an iphone 3gs that was originally on o2 but i had it unlocked and have been using it on Tesco mobile for the last two years. Anyway new BT sim arrived on Tueday and upon insertion all I got was NO SERVICE at the top left of the screen where the service provider/signal strength bars should be. Contacted BT and the assured me that the sim was faulty and the would send another one out to replace it, this arrived on Thurday and guess what?! yep it made no difference. Contacted them again and they said someone would contact me on Saturday 4th to help resolve the issue, no call by 4pm so I called them instead only to be told as it was the bank holiday someone would now contact me on Tueday 7th!

Anyone else have the same sim issue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if anyone has/is having the same problem as me getting a new BT sim to work. My hone is an iphone 3gs that was originally on o2 but i had it unlocked and have been using it on Tesco mobile for the last two years. Anyway new BT sim arrived on Tueday and upon insertion all I got was NO SERVICE at the top left of the screen where the service provider/signal strength bars should be. Contacted BT and the assured me that the sim was faulty and the would send another one out to replace it, this arrived on Thurday and guess what?! yep it made no difference. Contacted them again and they said someone would contact me on Saturday 4th to help resolve the issue, no call by 4pm so I called them instead only to be told as it was the bank holiday someone would now contact me on Tueday 7th!

Anyone else have the same sim issue?

Who unlocked it for you?

Was it done officially/genuinely through O2?

[Edit] - try a different non O2/Tesco SIM from EE, Vodafone or 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who unlocked it for you?

Was it done officially/genuinely through O2?

[Edit] - try a different non O2/Tesco SIM from EE, Vodafone or 3.

Indeed it was officially unlocked by o2 using their online form prior to me switching to Tesco, I recieved confirmation texts/emails to confirm it had been done.

I have no other sim's available to try.

Wouldn't it say "WRONG SIM" rather than "NO SERVICE" if it was an unlocking problem?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Maybe an iPhone needs to be manually told to use the new service provider? Somewhere in the settings?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Maybe an iPhone needs to be manually told to use the new service provider? Somewhere in the settings?

(There isn't any, normally swapping the SIM even when phone is on is enough)

If not tried, a hard reboot is worth it. Hold down the sleep/wake button (top or side of 6/6+) and hold the home button until the apple logo appears.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Indeed it was officially unlocked by o2 using their online form prior to me switching to Tesco, I recieved confirmation texts/emails to confirm it had been done.

Wouldn't it say "WRONG SIM" rather than "NO SERVICE" if it was an unlocking problem?

Not neccasarily, try connecting to iTunes with the new sim in and see if it gives an error message about the sim. Wouldn't be the first time O2 stuffed up an unlock request.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Not neccasarily, try connecting to iTunes with the new sim in and see if it gives an error message about the sim. Wouldn't be the first time O2 stuffed up an unlock request.

went back to the original 2013 email from O2 and went through the plug into itunes step again and it came up with a message that phone needed activating, appears it may not have been properly unlocked all this time after all :blush: Now just waiting for sim to be activated as I currently get a "SIM not provisioned" message in settings-about. Fingers crossed that'll do the trick, thanks for all the advise and info everyone.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    went back to the original 2013 email from O2 and went through the plug into itunes step again and it came up with a message that phone needed activating, appears it may not have been properly unlocked all this time after all :blush: Now just waiting for sim to be activated as I currently get a "SIM not provisioned" message in settings-about. Fingers crossed that'll do the trick, thanks for all the advise and info everyone.

One way to do this is to make sure phone is on WiFi and then swap SIM. An unlocked phone should then ask for the apple ID name and password (the one in use) and then re-activate. If its still locked to the original network it won't reactivate until you put back the original network SIM. Once you've done this once, you can then swap SIMs without any apple password at any time. (even powered on) as you can on a sim-free phone purchased from apple direct.

Using iTunes is in theory not required, but some people report it helps.

Some of the instructions from the networks are quite old !
  • Options
    Forum Member

You must know someone on EE/Vodafone/3?
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry of this has already been asked or is silly question....

At minute I am with Orange/EE on SIM only deal. For TV I am with sky but looking to add BT sport. Now if I went for the £10 500mb (would be enough as can use sky broadband have at home) it says I get the BT sports app. So would this let me watch the BT sports channel (live football matches?) if so surely paying £10 pm is a no brainer than paying £13.50 it currently is online? If is then will move my sim only deal over just mainly to get cheap way of watching BT sports. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Sorry of this has already been asked or is silly question....

At minute I am with Orange/EE on SIM only deal. For TV I am with sky but looking to add BT sport. Now if I went for the £10 500mb (would be enough as can use sky broadband have at home) it says I get the BT sports app. So would this let me watch the BT sports channel (live football matches?) if so surely paying £10 pm is a no brainer than paying £13.50 it currently is online? If is then will move my sim only deal over just mainly to get cheap way of watching BT sports. Thanks.

I Don't think 500 MB of data is enough to watch football through the app on the go over a month, but if you're going to watch all the football and sport through the app over Wifi then you should be good to go.
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Don't think 500 MB of data is enough to watch football through the app on the go over a month, but if you're going to watch all the football and sport through the app over Wifi then you should be good to go.

Thanks for your reply. Yes would only be case of watching it at home via wifi so wife and kids can watch their rubbish :D
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking a bt sim should work in an EE locked phone?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct :)
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

would be intresting to know if this works my wife phone is locked to tesco mobile and a o2 sim wont work in it>:(
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Curious as I bought a Tesco PAYG phone and stuck my O2 SIM in it which works just fine.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Tesco SIMs work in O2 phones but not the other way round from what I recall.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the confirmation! I think o2 and tesco have different operator codes? I remember my giffgaff sim worked in my sister's o2 phone so I think it's something to do with tesco
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tesco mobile = bastards:p
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to defend Tesco as mega impressed with them abs used them for years. The price is great and the service is excellent, can't fault and highly recommend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get a good deal on Tesco hence why I keep a SIM with them. For £15 a month I get 2.75GB of 4G data, 5000 texts and 1000 minutes.

They also have 4G in Winchester where I spend a lot of time. EE 2G and 3G basically only works outdoors. Vodafone coverage is also good (same as O2).

Good 4G speeds but 3G is an absolute joke like it always is on O2. At least Tesco is second priority on O2 masts unlike some other networks - I assume this is still true.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Winchester where I spend a lot of time. EE 2G and 3G basically only works outdoors.

Wait, can you explain that?

In Winchester you only get outdoors 2G/3G on EE? So no indoor signal at all and no 4G?

Is this Winchester in Hampshire?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE coverage indoors sucks in Winchester, Hampshire. Its no coverage at all in places. There is no 4G at all on EE or Three.

O2 and Vodafone work well indoors on 2G and 4G. I believe 3G isn't available at 900MHz there so it suffers indoors.

Yeah I know it's weird that the coverage is so bad on EE. No idea what happened to their 4G here. I guess it being a very old city doesn't help the siting of the masts?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Ahh, but see.... EE works just lovely indoors now..... everywhere there is WiFi.... :)
    Awesome!! Can't believe how good WC is.
    I'm a mobile PC tech and have loads of customers in deep rural areas where I have no signal indoors but..... I am logged into most of their WiFi routers (my iPhone wifi list must be massive!! : )
    Before last week I had no voice coverage in their houses.
    Now I go in and I get this https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b3g67es4c0hjka/WiFi_Calling.JPG?dl=0
    I am now truly connected everywhere.
    Awesome, awesome, awesome..........

Did I mention it was really good!!!
    Hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Tesco was equal priority with o2?