EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    But not for phone calls or texts. I expect phones will ring and bleep inadvertently now on planes if the phone picks up a WiFi network or if the user forgets to turn off their WiFi settings much to the annoyance of fellow passengers and flight crew.

I suspect the aircraft WiFi operators will have thought of that and block the IP addresses that make WiFi calling work. This would be quite easy to achieve. I think they block Skype and Facetime and similar already - but they have a policy that you don't make voice calls, and the aircraft staff can tell you to stop I believe.

Could become an interesting problem!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I suspect the aircraft WiFi operators will have thought of that and block the IP addresses that make WiFi calling work. This would be quite easy to achieve. I think they block Skype and Facetime and similar already - but they have a policy that you don't make voice calls, and the aircraft staff can tell you to stop I believe.

Could become an interesting problem!

Very interesting. :D
  • Browno01Browno01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'm told it won't work with a non UK IP address, but BT also told me that you couldn't tether on BT Mobile lol.

I've rummaged through the carrier file, and there's an option to turn on Roaming for WiFi Calling, so it's possible.

I'm not going abroad for a while, so unable to test it...
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't test this as I'm on EE PAYG but a good way of simulating going abroad might be to use a VPN, unless Apple has configured WiFi calling to bypass VPN's?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    But not for phone calls or texts. I expect phones will ring and bleep inadvertently now on planes if the phone picks up a WiFi network or if the user forgets to turn off their WiFi settings much to the annoyance of fellow passengers and flight crew.

But it's not that you "forget" to turn off wifi. You put it in airplane mode and then reenable wifi if you need it. So as I say, nothing changes, people will still by default put their phones into airplane mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    But it's not that you "forget" to turn off wifi. You put it in airplane mode and then reenable wifi if you need it. So as I say, nothing changes, people will still by default put their phones into airplane mode.

But airplane mode doesn't disable WiFi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    But airplane mode doesn't disable WiFi.

It does on an iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does on an iPhone.

I enabled airplane mode earlier like I was told to on here and I was still able to make a WiFi call.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I enabled airplane mode earlier like I was told to on here and I was still able to make a WiFi call.

Not sure what to tell you.

On my i6, I swipe up to open the Control Centre, tap Airplane mode and the wifi symbol goes dim/off.

[Edit] - http://tinypic.com/r/51alib/8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what to tell you.

On my i6, I swipe up to open the Control Centre, tap Airplane mode and the wifi symbol goes dim/off.

Sorry you're right. Just checked. I forgot I had to re-enable WiFi in order for it to work with airplane mode switched on. Crisis averted. :p
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a kick in the nuts for Samsung who thought they'd have exclusivity on WiFi calling a week or 2 before Apple with the launch of the S6 tomorrow. I wonder if this will effect sales of the S6 now.

I was in Stratford this morning and EE didn't have anything in store to mention Wi-Fi calling. Meanwhile, the demo units of the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge were going in at some stores and tomorrow there will be plenty of Samsung marketing bods in various shops doing promotions.

Besides the Apple Watch, I think all eyes will be on Samsung tomorrow and the coming weeks and Wi-Fi calling will be a very small thing in comparison.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't test this as I'm on EE PAYG but a good way of simulating going abroad might be to use a VPN, unless Apple has configured WiFi calling to bypass VPN's?

I expect it would bypass a VPN, just as I can't use a VPN on my Android phone and then tether to a PC - that bypasses it too (and I need to use a VPN on the PC instead).
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I was in Stratford this morning and EE didn't have anything in store to mention Wi-Fi calling. Meanwhile, the demo units of the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge were going in at some stores and tomorrow there will be plenty of Samsung marketing bods in various shops doing promotions.

Besides the Apple Watch, I think all eyes will be on Samsung tomorrow and the coming weeks and Wi-Fi calling will be a very small thing in comparison.

Which is a big shame as WiFI Calling has the potential to be a extremely useful thing for many people.
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozz wrote: »
    I've previously used O2 and The Cloud hot spots, WiFi Calling automatically pops up without any user intervention. Great ☺

Yep, confirmed as working on O2 Wifi in Waitrose this afternoon. Not tried on The Cloud or BT yet.

Roll on VoLTE to make this absolutely AMAZING.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I expect it would bypass a VPN, just as I can't use a VPN on my Android phone and then tether to a PC - that bypasses it too (and I need to use a VPN on the PC instead).

I'm finding it hard to find a reason why you would need wifi calling to work over a VPN.

Maybe some weird esoteric unencrypted wifi setup where you don't get proper network or internet access until you use a VPN?

As has been mentioned, some people would really want it to be able to use wifi calling outside the UK (not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, apart from not being able to call the local emergency services)

On that note, what happens under wifi calling if you call 999/101/111? There's no real way to identify what region of the country you are in, let alone address, so how would it know where to route the call? Would it jump down to local 2G/3G if available? Can it use GPS to find location? (like how E911 works in the US)
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that the iPhone can't support WiFi Calling and calling from a Mac via FaceTime at the same time. One or the other and it's not THAT quick to get in to the options. I could turn WiFi calling off at home and revert to my signal box, so I can get calls via the Mac but having to keep switching between is a bit of a chore.

I'd like to be able to enable and disable WiFi calling really quickly as it can be both a saviour and a nuisance. It gives me far better coverage inside the building at work, but if I start a call even near a building it's going to be connected to WiFi but with lack of VoLTE yet, if I wander around or go outside then it's a bit of a pain. Seems to switch APs within range quite nicely (our wifi system doesn't have seamless handoff).

Otherwise, very impressive.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the phone checks the WiFi is open and working before switching. As some WiFi you have to go online first before and accept ts and cs first
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M1kos wrote: »
    I hope the phone checks the WiFi is open and working before switching. As some WiFi you have to go online first before and accept ts and cs first

It presumably won't "switch" until it successfully connects to the EE gateway, and it looks like EE are working on the issue of public wifi (like on the London Underground where they use the SIM card for automatic authentication)
  • wathmanwathman Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Anyone getting message failed when sending Text to someone without an iPhone on wifi calling but message is being delivered???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wathman wrote: »
    Anyone getting message failed when sending Text to someone without an iPhone on wifi calling but message is being delivered???

I was getting that for the last 2 weeks before WiFi calling was introduced.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    It presumably won't "switch" until it successfully connects to the EE gateway, and it looks like EE are working on the issue of public wifi (like on the London Underground where they use the SIM card for automatic authentication)

As mentioned, O2 and The Cloud switch to EE WiFi Call with no user intervention. (passed by Costa/Nero/Superdrug and O2 shop). This will cause issues with calls initiated/received when passing by these shops then going out of range.

Not tried the BT Wifi with FON yet which I can access as part of my infinity bb.
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Anyone here using wc on a s5 901f?
    spoke to ee abouth something else and moved it round to wc.
    was told wc will work on lolipop and kitkat. my a/c is set up for wc, but i missing the menu to turn it on/settings. he gone to find out why and call me back. hmmm.....
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparky93 wrote: »
    Anyone here using wc on a s5 901f?
    spoke to ee abouth something else and moved it round to wc.
    was told wc will work on lolipop and kitkat. my a/c is set up for wc, but i missing the menu to turn it on/settings. he gone to find out why and call me back. hmmm.....
    All reports of WiFi calling on the S5 have been with lollipop. I reckon KitKat is unlikely to have the required settings for WiFi calling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's quite an echo on the call quality when someone calls you.
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Denco1 wrote: »
    All reports of WiFi calling on the S5 have been with lollipop. I reckon KitKat is unlikely to have the required settings for WiFi calling.

yea, and hmmmm, i was hoping not, seems loli is still buggy and a drainer of batteries. and other wifi drop outs.
    colleague at work did lolipop update and is not impressed. even after a hard reset.