Options

Do you feel sorry for people in Council Houses?

dropoutdropout Posts: 625
Forum Member
✭✭
Having always been a homeowner since I left my parents home I always tend to feel a bit sorry for council house people. Mainly because most of them will never ever have any real money so to speak.

Oh ok, they might amass a couple of thousand savings but they will never ever have a big pot of money that an owned house with plenty of equity in it could give them , like £200,000 or something in that region.

Is it because most of them get rent free or is it because most of them know no better and its the way their parents always lived?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because having a couple of hundred grand is the entire point of life? Not seeing it, really.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Money is not everything
    Dont feel sorry for me, I have a lovely 4 bed house in the countryside, with all mod cons and free repairs on tap, a new kitchen due to be fitted in a year or two, and no worries of ever having it repossessed :D

Your baiting thread will be an epic fail ;)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most of them rent because they cannot afford to buy, nothing wrong with renting from the local housing association. houses are well cared for, and most of them are solid and well built. all houses built for the local authority are made to last.
    not like these matchbox new ones. with no character.
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but this just smacks of ''slapping self on back' . I certainly don't feel ''sorry'' for people who live in coucil houses,how patronising would that be?. ..
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Don't feel sorry for me, I live in a council house (Well council flat) and I'm probably as happy as you and as sad as you on your bad days.

Money doesn't count for everything.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love when people say council house tenants live rent free - point me in the direction of these free houses because my rent goes up every year !

And oddly I thought the point of life was to live not amass thousands in the bank but perhaps that is why I am generally a happy person.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I'm in Council Accommodation is, I can't raise the £25% deposit for a mortgage, and pay my rent at the same time.

I may not own my own property but, unlike a home owner, I also don't have to shell out for building repairs, sewer unblocking/repair etc.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd rather see a house as a home, not an investment. The reason housing in this country is now so expensive and first time buyers have effectively been priced out is because people have stopped seeing houses as homes and see them as bricks and mortar piggy banks.

And no, I don't feel sorry for people in council housing. There's nothing wrong with living in a council house - for many people they are the only way they'd be able to have a decent roof over their heads and I wouldn't deny anyone that.

There are of course unpleasant people who happen to live in council housing, but the same can be said for people who live in privately owned housing too.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    the village I live in is mostly council housing or housing association..the houses for buying are like hens teeth here..I'm not going to move out of my nice village just because I need to buy a house..my kids have school and friends here and there's a good percentage that works and pays rent for those council houses..oh and my parents owned their house too..so not because I don't know better
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, more to life than money, Or having a big debt hanging round your neck for the rest of your life.

Then there's your house being worth less than the mortgage, Negative Equity.:rolleyes:

Edited ; spelling
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    dropout wrote: »
    Having always been a homeowner since I left my parents home I always tend to feel a bit sorry for council house people. Mainly because most of them will never ever have any real money so to speak.

Oh ok, they might amass a couple of thousand savings but they will never ever have a big pot of money that an owned house with plenty of equity in it could give them , like £200,000 or something in that region.

Is it because most of them get rent free or is it because most of them know no better and its the way their parents always lived?
    i`d rather rent and i`m not the slightest bit materialistic.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Money is not everything
    Dont feel sorry for me, I have a lovely 4 bed house in the countryside, with all mod cons and free repairs on tap, a new kitchen due to be fitted in a year or two, and no worries of ever having it repossessed :D

Your baiting thread will be an epic fail ;)

Too late. I think you took the bait hook, line and sinker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I do not feel sorry for them.

Owning a home does not make you a better person or enrich your life.

In some ways i envy them, the rent is low meaning more money for them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Too late. I think you took the bait hook, line and sinker.

No, I sussed straight away that it was a baiting thread. The OP probably wanted people to come on here all riled and explode at him, well it did not work did it? everyone has been pleasant and responded in a decent manner.

Baiters arent what they used to be, thats for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    I live in a Housing Association house. Never had a chance to buy because of lack of funds. Then I was in the army and when I came out I moved into this house otherwise we would have been homeless.

It's a lovely house in a lovely area. Sure I pay rent, but I don't have to fork out for repairs and it's a long term assured tenancy. I'm not sure anyone needs to feel sorry for me, but thanks anyway...a little bit of pity never goes amiss! :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry Op but you make it sound like living in rented accommodation is shameful...which I certainly don't think it is.

I have a mortgage, but I can certainly see the benefits of renting, for example my OH is self employed if he is unlucky enough to have no work we have no comeback and risk losing the house, if we cant pay the mortgage.

A house should be a home and it doesn't matter to me whether a person owns it or rents it.

I find your post patronising.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I sussed straight away that it was a baiting thread. The OP probably wanted people to come on here all riled and explode at him, well it did not work did it? everyone has been pleasant and responded in a decent manner.

oopps have i just given them what they wanted lol.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, more to life than money, Or having a big debt hanging round your neck for the rest of your life.

Then there's your house being worth less than the mortgage, Negative Equity.:rolleyes:

Edited ; spelling

Oh, I quite agree.

But then, we bought our house outright-so I feel rather sorry for people with a mortgage. :)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £90 a week for a large one bed flat in Islington? What's to feel sorry for OP? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    icelady wrote: »
    oopps have i just given them what they wanted lol.

No, you were nice and polite( unlike the OP) and got your point across well ;)
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people fare better in the game of life, as it is with all creatures, some are weak and some are great.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Possibly. I just thought he may have been baiting people to describe the type of luxurious council house they've got and how pleased they are with it, when there are tens of thousands of people who aren't entitled to council housing un-able to afford anything close to it. Glad you didn't fall for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you were nice and polite( unlike the OP) and got your point across well ;)

Ahh thank you...I must have had my polite head on this morning lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SO you think that having a mortgage around you neck is great?

Renting is the new buying :) even if I was in a position to get a mortgage, I would not want one.The only way I would ever buy a home is if I had the ready cash, which will not happen, ever,lol
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I quite agree.

But then, we bought our house outright-so I feel rather sorry for people with a mortgage. :)

That would be the only way i'd buy, If i had the money to do so outright.