EastEnders pays Corrie Tribute

garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
Forum Member
SHE is the grand old dame of Walford - but it seems Dot Branning's heart really lies in WEATHERFIELD.
EastEnders viewers will soon see Dot telling Kat Moon she loves Coronation Street.

The reference to watching Corrie's 50th anniversary episode is believed to be the first time one soap has given a nod to a rival.

Dot, played by June Brown, tells Kat (Jessie Wallace): "I'm heading home to crack open a bag of marshmallows with Jim and watch the Corrie 50th special. I love Corrie, never miss it."

The December 9 episode will sit in between two Corrie specials on ITV1 featuring a devastating tram crash. An EastEnders insider said Dot's support was a tribute to the "soap that started it all".

The source added: "We did it as a tribute. Hopefully they will return the favour when we turn 50!"

EastEnders often refers to current events, recently mentioning England's World Cup failure.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3253926/Branning-is-Dotty-about-Corrie.html#ixzz16r4laZcv

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats line sounds so forced and cheesy.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    thats line sounds so forced and cheesy.

Maybe but I think its a nice gesture.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Corrie will return the favour?

I don't see what all the fuss is about
  • sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    SHE is the grand old dame of Walford - but it seems Dot Branning's heart really lies in WEATHERFIELD.
    EastEnders viewers will soon see Dot telling Kat Moon she loves Coronation Street.

The reference to watching Corrie's 50th anniversary episode is believed to be the first time one soap has given a nod to a rival.
    Dot, played by June Brown, tells Kat (Jessie Wallace): "I'm heading home to crack open a bag of marshmallows with Jim and watch the Corrie 50th special. I love Corrie, never miss it."

The December 9 episode will sit in between two Corrie specials on ITV1 featuring a devastating tram crash. An EastEnders insider said Dot's support was a tribute to the "soap that started it all".

The source added: "We did it as a tribute. Hopefully they will return the favour when we turn 50!"

EastEnders often refers to current events, recently mentioning England's World Cup failure.

At the risk of being a soap-geek, I remember Ron Dixon comparing Bev to Hilda Ogden in Brookside circa 1996
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have mentioned Corrie before. Nick Cotton once said to someone from the north 'Get back to Coronation Street Land' and when Arthur and Pauline (I think) were on a TV quiz one of the questions was 'Who played Elsie Tanner on Coronation Street'
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think thats quite nice really! :)
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    EE mentioned Corrie during a game of charades at Xmas 87. Michelle Fowler shouted it out I think. From what I remember, everyone around sort of gave her a funny look. lol
  • JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice touch from EE for them to do this....rivalry, what rivalry? :D
  • Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I don't like the sound of this!!

It would have been much better if Dot mentioned an awful tram crash in Manchester or something.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    so EE is real and Corrie is just a programme :eek::D
  • Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    so EE is real and Corrie is just a programme :eek::D

This is why I don't like it. It would have been better and nicer for them to talk about an awful Tram crash in Manchester rather than mentioning Corrie directly. I know EE has before back in the 80's but I think it takes away from all the shows when they make a direct reference.
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's mainly becuase Daran Little has written the episode and cos of his history with Corrie he probably wanted to pay tribute.
  • jlighthijlighthi Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    I think it's mainly becuase Daran Little has written the episode and cos of his history with Corrie he probably wanted to pay tribute.

Well I think it is a lovely idea. Other shows reference the soaps. Well done to EastEnders.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too many Eastenders characters (including June Brown) have featured in Corrie so it will be stupid
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    If Dot says that to Kat, shouldn't Kat's head explode considering her "mother" Liz McDonald hails from that fictional show!? ;)
  • Blue-DoveBlue-Dove Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    It's lovely that they are doing this but I agree with previous posters. Referencing the train crash would have been better. Something about mentioning the soap by name seems cheesy.

But fair play to EE.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done EE :) I like it :D
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I agree with those who reckon a mention of tram crash would have been better, similar to Mick Johnson reading about Emmers plane crash back in the day

seeing as June Brown had been in Corrie interacting with a main character (Ena Sharples), it's a bit silly/pointless to do a "Corrie's just a programme" reference

and so should after the very funny (imo) East Street
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I think people are reading way too much into it. I think it's nice. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Dot will give a little wink to the camera afterwards, she so obviously prefers EastEnders. :D

Hollyoaks have mentioned Corrie and EE before, but I don't remember the 2 big ones doing so. :)
  • smashboxsmashbox Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a nice gesture =)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    *sorry if posted...I searched and couldnt find*

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a290781/eastenders-to-feature-corrie-reference.html

Is this a 1st? Have any soaps mentioned other soaps before?

EDIT- just found other thread!!
  • LenfaircloughLenfairclough Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I think people are reading way too much into it. I think it's nice. :)

Agree, it's just a reference and shouldn't be analysed as anything more than a nice little homage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, it's just a reference and shouldn't be analysed as anything more than a nice little homage.

Totally agree!!! Really nice gesture for a show which has been on tv for 50 years!!!!!!! Quite an achievement!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a nice little way to mention it, which they didn't have to do at all. I must admit when i heard they were going to make a reference I expected it to be someone saying something on the lines of 'Have you heard about that huge explosion and Tram crash in Manchester'.