Why does it seem like the Police beat up and injure far more people on...

Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
Forum Member
✭✭
...student protests than they do at EDL meetings. The last protest has seen some poor sod left needing brain surgery after being smashed in the head by a police officer. Alegedly.

I know that the EDL are provocative and have many of their ranks there simply to cause trouble and fight but they seem to come out of it comparitively unscathed.

Do the police have more sympathy for the EDL than they do for students or are there some officers who see the students as an easier target less likely to fight back and injure them.

Or is it just me? Again.

Comments

• BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the EDL riot through the middle of London on a regular basis?
  • 4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think you're looking for, and finding reasons that aren't there.

The EDL are well versed and practised at pushing the law to it's absolute limits without stepping over the mark, even so there are plenty of their protesters who will be arrested and alledge police brutality in the process. Whether or not their claims are proved true, it doesn't receive the same amount of media attention because it's an expected and well proven outcome - despite the fact they regularly make a negative impact - physically and emotionally - on those in the locations they choose to march in.

Linking that to the police force been sympathetic to their cause is dangerous, false and frankly verging on the desperate in terms of wanting people to side with a cause on the premise of 'they're all racists'. It's a cheap shot with no foundation in any facts.

Get yourself some evidence and hard provable facts, perhaps find a real link between the morals of the majority of the police staff and then link it to the student protests if thats a route you feel is valid, rather than attempt to initiate a witch hunt.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the EDL riot through the middle of London on a regular basis?
    And do they vandalise buildings, shops and set fires whilst rioting?
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4pounds64 wrote: »
    Actually I think you're looking for, and finding reasons that aren't there.

The EDL are well versed and practised at pushing the law to it's absolute limits without stepping over the mark, even so there are plenty of their protesters who will be arrested and alledge police brutality in the process. Whether or not their claims are proved true, it doesn't receive the same amount of media attention because it's an expected and well proven outcome - despite the fact they regularly make a negative impact - physically and emotionally - on those in the locations they choose to march in.

Linking that to the police force been sympathetic to their cause is dangerous, false and frankly verging on the desperate in terms of wanting people to side with a cause on the premise of 'they're all racists'. It's a cheap shot with no foundation in any facts.

Get yourself some evidence and hard provable facts, perhaps find a real link between the morals of the majority of the police staff and then link it to the student protests if thats a route you feel is valid, rather than attempt to initiate a witch hunt.

The reasons you list above are why I use the word "seems" and why I aknowlege at the end that I am aware that this might just be my own biased view.

I should have worded it better because the point I wanted to make was simply that it seems to me like the police go easier on the likes of the EDL than they do on students and to suggest to people that they consider this. With hindsight I should have taken a different aproach to raise this.

My judgement is obviously slightly clouded by lack of tea so I will remedy that first and then continue.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the real question is how come in this social climate that the homophobic and racist EDL and the like are more well behaved and civil compared to their Left Wing comrades in the Students Union and University.

It's not the case of the Police treating the EDL with kid gloves because they sympathise with the EDL, which is what you are implying, but the fact that whilst the EDL are loathsome they do not stoop to the level those students have done so.

These riots are not even about the tuition fees, they never have been, but merely anti-Tory sentiment from the Students Union and Left Wingers in general.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're just less of them and they haven't (to my knowledge) demonstrated in the middle of central London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the police are mostly bullies and it makes sense. Getting a few whacks in on a harmless student is fun; provoking an 18 stone skinhead is dangerous.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    Remember the police are mostly bullies and it makes sense. Getting a few whacks in on a harmless student is fun; provoking an 18 stone skinhead is dangerous.

That's what I like to see, a balanced post with no sweeping generalisations.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on now. Disgusting as the EDL are I've not noticed any of them vandalising private property, attacking stupidly located Royals, or defacing national monuments. The students really have not helped their own cause this week, and the police have responded as they would in any riot situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or is it just me? Again.

Probably... Have you ever been to a riot? Have you ever seen what happens when you get thousands and thousands of people and a relatively small percentage of police? I would not do their job for all the tea in china.

The EDL protestors are a bit more canny than the students. As others have said, they know how to play the game.

I think using that to suggest the police are sympathetic to them is a cheap shot. In fact, just a thinly veiled excuse for another cop bashing thread.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    These riots are not even about the tuition fees, they never have been, but merely anti-Tory sentiment from the Students Union and Left Wingers in general.

Because students don't learn how to engage their brains until the third year. They haven't yet acquired the art of PR.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »

Still claiming not to be right wing?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably... Have you ever been to a riot? Have you ever seen what happens when you get thousands and thousands of people and a relatively small percentage of police? I would not do their job for all the tea in china.

The EDL protestors are a bit more canny than the students. As others have said, they know how to play the game.

I think using that to suggest the police are sympathetic to them is a cheap shot. In fact, just a thinly veiled excuse for another cop bashing thread.

Just what we need:mad:
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    If the information about "police beatings" comes from the student leaders I would wonder where they got their figures from - they probably can't add up some of them anyway so they probably got 2 and mulitiplied at by 25.

The police had every right to go in and sort out and arrest those being violent and causing damage.

Idiots who hi-jacked a probably peacefully started official protest - and they weren't even students.

The privately educated rocker's son who was swinging from the Union Jack on the Cenitaph just says it all.

That photo will represent the student protest for ever more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the information about "police beatings" comes from the student leaders I would wonder where they got their figures from - they probably can't add up some of them anyway so they probably got 2 and mulitiplied at by 25.

I also wonder how many students were injured by "friendly fire" from their own side. There were certainly a lot of missiles being thrown.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Still claiming not to be right wing?

Still making unconstructive pokes at other posters and their posts and not actually contributing to the thread topic?

I agree that the riots are more about sticking it to the Tories in general than tuitiion fees. It's a generalisation, but the Tories represent the antithesis of the government wanted by the type of people who are more inclined to go out and riot.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I also wonder how many students were injured by "friendly fire" from their own side. There were certainly a lot of missiles being thrown.

And by that if you are taking missiles to what is supposed to be a peaceful official protest - you are breaking the law the minute you step out.

I have no sympathy for students any more. I know there were probably some who were there officially and peacefully but they have been taken over (and therefore their cause lost) by the minority hell bent on violence, then automatically blame the police.

Student is now a dirty word.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the police are mostly bullies
    No, they really aren't. They are mostly people doing an often dangerous job in order to protect people like who, who have no respect and certainly no gratitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they really aren't. They are mostly people doing an often dangerous job in order to protect people like who, who have no respect and certainly no gratitude.

I have respect and gratitude when they do their job properly.

But 43 protesters were injured versus 12 police - that's not protecting people, that's brutality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But 43 protesters were injured versus 12 police - that's not protecting people, that's brutality.

Hold on though. How many students were injured by student missiles? And if you look at the number injured as a percentage of those there, the police sustained a higher percentage of injuries as there were considerably fewer of them than students.

It is a ridiculous argument to use the numbers to support a claim of police brutality!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...student protests than they do at EDL meetings. The last protest has seen some poor sod left needing brain surgery after being smashed in the head by a police officer. Alegedly.

I know that the EDL are provocative and have many of their ranks there simply to cause trouble and fight but they seem to come out of it comparitively unscathed.

Do the police have more sympathy for the EDL than they do for students or are there some officers who see the students as an easier target less likely to fight back and injure them.

Or is it just me? Again.

Probably has to do with the fact that the EDL are less volatile and more restrained than a group of young students. We may dislike the EDL intensely, but they are probably not as stupid as some on here paint them to be, certainly as far as demo behaviour is concerned.

Besides which they are fully aware that each town they march in will be looking for any excuse to ban them from ever marching there again.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What were the injured students doing, at the time they were injured :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There were far more protestors than police, so as a percentage, probably more police got hurt. :p
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    What were the injured students doing, at the time they were injured :confused:

Falling to the floor ?
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Falling to the floor ?

From what I heard, some of the protesters were attacking the police, throwing missiles, and vandalising property.

Surely at least some of the injured were involved, in some of that behaviour :confused: