Injecting in the office

PeronessDSPeronessDS Posts: 168
Forum Member
Hi,

Not sure if i'm wrong to think this, but my colleague has diabetes and every lunchtime has to test his blood and then unbutton his trousers to inject himself. There is then the odour of antiseptic in the office. This just as I'm about to eat my lunch....I just think it is out of order and inconsiderate. I've asked him why he doesnt do it in the bathroom and he said it's just for cleanliness reasons (its a large, clean and new bathroom so this doesnt wash with me). I asked another diabetic about this and they said the doctors encouraged them to do it whenever and where ever.

I just wondered what others thought about this, am I being unreasonable? it winds me up lol :(

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Type 1 diabetic here. I inject (in a shared office with two other people) before I eat every day. Admittedly I've never unbuttoned my trousers (!!!!!!) to do this - and neither of my work colleagues has ever mentioned an odour of antiseptic in the office. Insulin does have that odour - but you'd only notice it if you within two feet of the insulin, the odour disappears after 30 seconds, and as I inject the insulin into my body, I don't squirt it around the office, I doubt very much whether anybody has ever noticed this odour. Put it this way, the odour of food is much stronger and will overpower the scent of the insulin as soon as sandwiches are unwrapped/chips are opened/soup is warmed up etc etc etc.
  • BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I worked with someone with diabetes, too.

One day, I didn't realise she was injecting and I walked up behind her to ask a question.
    As I was coming from behind her, I said her name and put my hand onto her arm to get her attention which startled her and made her drop what she was injecting.

I hadn't seen what she was doing and felt awful about it. I felt I should have been more considerate and aware.

I think doing that in an open office is dangerous. Anything involving needles should not be carried out in public.
  • PeronessDSPeronessDS Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Type 1 diabetic here. I inject (in a shared office with two other people) before I eat every day. Admittedly I've never unbuttoned my trousers (!!!!!!) to do this - and neither of my work colleagues has ever mentioned an odour of antiseptic in the office. Insulin does have that odour - but you'd only notice it if you within two feet of the insulin, the odour disappears after 30 seconds, and as I inject the insulin into my body, I don't squirt it around the office, I doubt very much whether anybody has ever noticed this odour. Put it this way, the odour of food is much stronger and will overpower the scent of the insulin as soon as sandwiches are unwrapped/chips are opened/soup is warmed up etc etc etc.

hmm thanks ChasingShadows, maybe it's just me then! I am squeamish to be fair. Yes the odour doesnt linger..it just reminds me what's happening. He needs to inject in his groin area for some reason.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    PeronessDS wrote: »
    hmm thanks ChasingShadows, maybe it's just me then! I am squeamish to be fair. Yes the odour doesnt linger..it just reminds me what's happening. He needs to inject in his groin area for some reason.

He shouldnt be injecting in his groin in a public office.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to inject in his groin area for some reason.

No he doesn't. The top of the thigh is one of the recommended areas for injecting insulin - though this is normally where you would have your overnight long lasting insulin, as it takes longer for the insulin to be absorbed from here than from (say) the abdomen or the arm.

For fast acting insulin - which you would take five minutes before a meal - you would normally inject in the abdomen or the upper arm, neither of which would involve unbuttoning the trousers. Though if he wears long sleeved shirts, it can sometimes leave a slight bloodstain on the shirt (that's why I wear t-shirts in the office, so I can roll the sleeve completely out of the way, and if it bleeds I can wipe the blood off before it hits my sleeve).
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another type 1 diabetic here, and even though I use an insulin pump now, I never liked the idea going into a bathroom (particularly a dirty public one) to inject, as though I was doing something illicit I should be ashamed of. Diabetes is a pain in ass, and quite honestly, a little consideration from those around us goes a long way.

Re: his injection site- maybe he gets better absorption in his thighs.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say 'bathroom' do you mean in the toilets? My daughter is diabetic and I hate that she has to inject in the toilets, it's nasty and unhygienic.

The other issue - as others have pointed out, unless he's very skinny then there's no need to unbutton his trousers. The injection has to go into fat, so the stomach or upper arm are ideal as long as there's enough fat to inject into.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    how about you going to the bathroom whilst he does it?
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Not sure if i'm wrong to think this, but my colleague has diabetes and every lunchtime has to test his blood and then unbutton his trousers to inject himself. There is then the odour of antiseptic in the office. This just as I'm about to eat my lunch....I just think it is out of order and inconsiderate. I've asked him why he doesnt do it in the bathroom and he said it's just for cleanliness reasons (its a large, clean and new bathroom so this doesnt wash with me). I asked another diabetic about this and they said the doctors encouraged them to do it whenever and where ever.

I just wondered what others thought about this, am I being unreasonable? it winds me up lol :(
    Yes I think you're being unreasonable.

Also wondering why it winds you up and why the lol?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

To a certain extent I think you are being unreasonable. Most diabetics can quietly test their blood and give themselves an injection without anyone even realising unless they are staring straight at them. I find it slightly troubling that he says he has to unbuttoned his trousers and inject into the groin. Are you sure he doesn't' t mean his abdomen? Even then, if he was to inject into the upper abdomen, there would be no reason to undo his trousers....just pinch up some fat around his middle!

The odour is probably either the insulin or a mediwipe used to clean the injection area and will dissipate within a few seconds.

As for injecting in the ' bathroom' - this should be avoided as much as possible. Even in a regularly cleaned toilet area, it is highly likely that there will be bacteria or microscopic particles of faecal matter in the air. Emergency use only.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Hi,

As the mother of a Type 1 diabetic . Yes you are being unreasonable . He is injecting a needle into his skin so why would he go to a toilet to do that , its unhygienic and awkward for him .
    What antiseptic woud that be may I ask ? A tiny little swab or a hand wash ? For heavens sake its hardly a bucket of bleach .

I am quite sure he doesnt complain when you hand around sweets or eat cake or whatever .Tolerance would be nice for someone who has to inject life saving insulin .
    My own daughter works in a large office and everyone is so supportive and helpful .Its lovely to see that and helps a great deal for her to be comfortable .
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unreasonable. I would not expect to have to go into the bathroom to inject myself, if I was a type 1 diabetic. I'd feel it was unhygienic and also it's not something to be ashamed of, so why not do it in the office. I'm not saying shove it in peoples faces, as some people are weirded out by the idea of needles but they shouldn't have to hide it either.

I'm sure he's not ecstatic about the idea he has to inject himself routinely for the rest of his life, but just gets on with it.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

If it bothers you that much eat your sandwiches in the toilet if its so large, clean and new.)

Honestly, some people are ridiculous.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister is a type 1 diabetic and wouldn't inject in a bathroom. When she needs to inject, she is going to inject, no matter where she is. Her attitude is 'You wouldn't take away a disabled person's wheelchair - why are you trying to stop me having access to something which enables me to keep going?' It's not as though she's injecting for fun - she's injecting because if she didn't, she would get sick very quickly. If she had to wait until she could jab in private, it would mess with her blood sugars. She does it when she needs it, where ever she needs it, and I don't see why anyone else would have a problem with her doing it?
    If we expected diabetics to leave the room every time they had to jab themselves, they'd feel like social pariahs.
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    My sister is a type 1 diabetic and wouldn't inject in a bathroom. When she needs to inject, she is going to inject, no matter where she is. Her attitude is 'You wouldn't take away a disabled person's wheelchair - why are you trying to stop me having access to something which enables me to keep going?' It's not as though she's injecting for fun - she's injecting because if she didn't, she would get sick very quickly. If she had to wait until she could jab in private, it would mess with her blood sugars. She does it when she needs it, where ever she needs it, and I don't see why anyone else would have a problem with her doing it?
    If we expected diabetics to leave the room every time they had to jab themselves, they'd feel like social pariahs.

Same with my daughter , when she needs it she needs it and I cannot understand anyone who has an issue with it . The more I read the OP the more peed off I feel if I am honest . FGS its not like its fun injecting insulin. If the OP would prefer it he could avoid the injections by eating his lunch in the clean and new bathroom
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's outrageous that someone with a medical condition should take their vital medicine in the most hygienic place. Honestly, you'd think they'd have a bit of consideration for those more fortunate than themselves.

Basically, OP, in answer to your question- Yes. Yes, you are being unreasonable.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Hi,

you are being unreasonable.

You obviously think you are being reasonable. but to the rest of us it reads the same as something like 'there's a disabled guy in the office and i'm just sick of the site of his wheel chair.'

why don't you go and eat your dinner in the toilet?
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I inject slow release insulin and fast acting insulin - and I do it wherever and whenever I need too. I have injected in restaurants, offices and even in the street (in the thigh for slow acting and the abdomen for fast acting - it can even be done through thinner clothing) but would never inject in a bathroom/toilet. Diabetics do not use massive cartoon like hypodermics these days, but a simple pen-like unobtrusive item.

No one has ever commented or complained about my injecting - and I've been a diabetic for over 20 years. The OP is being unreasonable and should perhaps count their blessings - you never know, diabetes may hit them one day.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Having asked others opinions, shows you are not totally unreasonable and shows a degree of consideration. I agree that you have to be tolerant but if I hadn't read your post, I would have guessed you were asking if it would be unreasonable to hang yourself in the office.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP for me you are being very unreasonable here, I know a good few T1 Diabetics and they would never inject in a public toilet, they would also never inject in the groin area. As posted it is either upper arm or abdomen.

If it upsets you so much that he is injecting then go somewhere else while he does it as for the smell of medi wipes you must be over sensitive to their smell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackmanta wrote: »

One day, I didn't realise she was injecting and I walked up behind her to ask a question.
    As I was coming from behind her, I said her name and put my hand onto her arm to get her attention which startled her and made her drop what she was injecting.

I hadn't seen what she was doing and felt awful about it. I felt I should have been more considerate and aware.

I think doing that in an open office is dangerous. Anything involving needles should not be carried out in public.

Heh, just noticed this post.

You could have also startled her while she was holding a cup of coffee, scalding both of you. Should we stop consuming hot beverages in public?
    Forum Member

Just to clear up a fact for anyone reading this post .Diabetics use Flextouch pens now and not a six inch injection needle .Honestly I dont believe some people and their small minded intolerance

http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/insulin-novorapid-novorapid-flextouch-prefilled-pens-p-2359.html

http://www.novonordisk.com/images/diabetes/devices/flexpen.jpg
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Heh, just noticed this post.

You could have also startled her while she was holding a cup of coffee, scalding both of you. Should we stop consuming hot beverages in public?

Or God forbid maybe an open biro that might cause an ink stain on the poster ..........:eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member

Here's a top tip, for use in life not just offices- don't creep up behind people ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or God forbid maybe an open biro that might cause an ink stain on the poster ..........:eek::eek:

Outrageous!

I test my blood sugar sometimes ten times a day. If I had to excuse myself from my desk every time, the OP would probably complain it was unfair I was getting so many breaks.