Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

1473474475476477479»

Comments

• Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Just while I'm here I thought I'd remind everyone that while it looks like Three's 4G rollout "isn't great" in England etc, take a look at Northern Ireland on the coverage checker!

That's right, still not one 4G mast :')

I'm aware they're "trying", but come on, we're not some remote settlement, EE have had 4G in even small towns here for about a year, if not more!

And the Three shops are shamelessly hawking contracts on the back of 4g, when I took out my present contract, it was to be "in a few months" That contract is up in a month and they're still saying it'll be here "shortly"

They still have big stickers in their windows saying "4G It's here" which is true enough, just not on their network. It doesn't bother me as 3g does everything I need, but if you were signing up on the basis of 4G, you'd have every right to be annoyed.

The one thing they have going for them is that the 3G is good out in rural Co. Down.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Also is it my understanding that if I buy a sim only iPhone 6 or a S6 from Amazon or eBay and not from three then I still cannot use volte and therefore the 800mhz?

Not true for the iPhone, but unfortunately true for the Samsung unless you can flash the network branded firmware into the phone (which can invalidate your warranty).
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how damn stupid Microsoft introduced VoLTE in Windows Phone update 1, I like to use unbranded devices so why should we have to have network firmware to use a service. They should be able to push settings out for ALL devices to support this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyway, another mast surrounding my street looks to go 4G in the next few days, work is planned from 26th till 1st June. Poll swap again. That's what happened to the mast closest to my house and the next day it was broadcasting 3 4G.

Also another one between 31st July and 2nd June. Looks like they are beginning to step up their game, in my area at least.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a 1st for three at least for me anyway..
    Got a text today which said:

Hello. There is planned maintenance in the Crewe CW1 3HT area this week. If your service is affected, you can get updates here bit.ly/1L43qYP

So what's this likely to be about then?
    And what makes it different from the rest of the time I have no signal from three then, and what makes them think this mast will have any impact on my coverage? It's near me but still about 5-8 miles away, whereas my nearest mast is half a mile away..
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably just a general text to make sure that any one in the area is aware of the potential outage. It could be 4g upgrades for Three, or if the mast is shared with other networks they could be doing maintenance.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    "A revolution is coming to Three...and it's fury..."
  • iTechiTech Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    "A revolution is coming to Three...and it's fury..."

It had better be good (network) and nothing to do with those bl**dy horses.....I'm getting really tired of the slow coverage expansion and speeds I am getting in some of my commonly used locations (East Croydon station - just over 1 meg on 4G). The network is going from hero (as it was with 3G to zero).
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    This is a 1st for three at least for me anyway..
    Got a text today which said:

Hello. There is planned maintenance in the Crewe CW1 3HT area this week. If your service is affected, you can get updates here bit.ly/1L43qYP

So what's this likely to be about then?
    And what makes it different from the rest of the time I have no signal from three then, and what makes them think this mast will have any impact on my coverage? It's near me but still about 5-8 miles away, whereas my nearest mast is half a mile away..

Well know o2/VF are doing 4g work soon in Crewe. Not sure on 3.

My text today was some bazzare survey they wanted me to complete and offered me some free mins as well for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you check the 3 service status page, and there is worth in your area, it may just give 1 day, but if you check roadworks.org and click on the phone sign were you know a mast is, if it says T-Mobile is doing worth there it may well say a coupe of days, it'll likely be 3 upgrading the mast for 4G, especially when It states a poll change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you check the 3 service status page, and there is work in your area, it may just give 1 day, but if you check roadworks.org and click on the phone sign were you know a mast is, if it says T-Mobile is doing work there it may well say a coupe of days, it'll likely be 3 upgrading the mast for 4G, especially when It states a poll change.

Three coverage checker says work is to be done on a mast on 28th May 2015 on a mast on the other end of my road, although roadworks,org stated 26th May till 1st June.

This what it says,

"HIAB WORKS- Hiab to be placed on the footway to conduct a pole swap. 1.2m of the footway to left for pedestrians."

"CIVILS WORKS- Technicians to work on the cabinets of the telecoms mast. Minor Excavation works to take place."

Best place to check is roadworks.org if you ever think there may be 4G work going on in your area.

This is the same info it gave when the mast closest to my house had work. Mast went 4G the next day after the poll swap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On their website just noticed that Three are running a "furry revolution" promotion on their website. It seems to be tied to big brother so I guess it won't be much. Just wondering if anyone knows anything?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Well know o2/VF are doing 4g work soon in Crewe. Not sure on 3.

My text today was some bazzare survey they wanted me to complete and offered me some free mins as well for it.

The work has already begun on outskirts of Crewe I was in the Village of Hough a week or so ago and the 3G on Vodafone is far better than it used to be so clearly starting to use 3G900 there can't imagine 4G800 is far behind.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drove to Nantwich Today on the A51 and my Vodafone phone (selected to 3g & 4g only) managed to keep a 3g signal all the way, which wasn't there last month so somethings been turned on somewhere, no idea what the speed was as I've got no credit at the moment, but whatever it is its better then what I get on the along that route which is big areas log no signal at all, covered well by Orange masts but let's not go there on that one, the site in question that three texted me about is a jointly used site with many other operators by the looks of things so it might be one of those causing the disruption, I very much doubt three are doing anything.. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On their website just noticed that Three are running a "furry revolution" promotion on their website. It seems to be tied to big brother so I guess it won't be much. Just wondering if anyone knows anything?

Edit: Just noticed this above. Sorry all.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that there does not seem to have been any 4G reception in the North of Harlow for the last couple of days so I'm not sure if it's an outage or if they are upgrading those sites/any other sites?
  • AdamMJones_AdamMJones_ Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I was at Wembley over the weekend for the play-off final.

I was surprised to see the difference between 3 and EE (obviously EE sponsor the stadium...). I was unable to do anything on 3, whereas EE phones were able to stream youtube etc. I had a mix of 3G and 4G but it didn't make the slightest difference.

I thought 3 would add extra capacity there to cope with EE's push being so high!

Continued here: Three 4G Discussion Thread (Part 2)
This discussion has been closed.