ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think everything of any possible interest in Titanic's story has been wrung out a long, long, long time ago.
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    You could be right. All we have are petty squabbles over unknowables - the Californian saga, did an officer shoot themselves, why did the Titanic steam on briefly after the collision, etc etc. The gross details are well known, but the
    minutiae is a bit of a mystery. I very often feel, like a character said in the movie JFK, "we're picking gnats**t out of pepper."
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't impressed by the first episode. I would have expected better from Julian Fellowes considering the calibre of Downton Abbey. I agree with some posters that there are too many characters - they should concentrate on fewer characters - it was chopping and changing too much between the different characters.
    I will watch the second episode in the vain hope that it is an improvement on the first.
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I just think everything of any possible interest in Titanic's story has been wrung out a long, long, long time ago.

But its an iconic story now like we have a P & P or Emma, or Jane Eyre adaptation every ten years or so Titanic will continue to be 'done' I suppose.
    I wasn't impressed by the first episode. I would have expected better from Julian Fellowes considering the calibre of Downton Abbey. I agree with some posters that there are too many characters - they should concentrate on fewer characters - it was chopping and changing too much between the different characters.
    I will watch the second episode in the vain hope that it is an improvement on the first.

No its a crying shame the way it has been scheduled. Over consecutive nights would be better and it also means that any judgement as to merits and flaws will have to wait until the end of episode four but many people may not tune in that long. I am getting the impression that the story is supposed to be a progressively deeper look at the characters but I don't know how sucessful that approach is with the scheduling.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wasn't impressed by the first episode. I would have expected better from Julian Fellowes considering the calibre of Downton Abbey.

'Calibre'? Really? It wasn't exactly Brideshead Revisited. The first series of DA was entertaining hokum underpinned by storylines taken straight out of soap opera. It was Eastenders with nice dresses but the second series was laughably poor. 'Titanic' is even worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Calibre'? Really? It wasn't exactly Brideshead Revisited. The first series of DA was entertaining hokum underpinned by storylines taken straight out of soap opera. It was Eastenders with nice dresses but the second series was laughably poor. 'Titanic' is even worse.

Downton is a high end soap I don't think anyone would claim it was anything more and the 2nd series was hilarious at time if they go with the first series until it ends well then it will be fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well seeing as there isn't much fun about the show why not talk about the drowned and saved with the fictional characters

My views

Escaped: Louisa Manton, Lady Georgiana Grex, Watson, Annie Desmond, John Batley, Mary Maloney and three of the children, Mario Sandrini.

Drowned: Hugh Manton, Barnes, Paolo Sandrini (I think he will die after being pulled from the water), Muriel Batley, Jim Maloney, Theresa Maloney, Lubov.

Unsure
    Grace Rushton
    Joseph Rushton
    Barnes (only cos I want him to live but I think he will snuff it)
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there has been a single positive comment on this thread so far. I'd be very surprised if the show manages to retain a decent portion of its impressive 7 million opener given how dire ep one has been.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posy wrote: »
    CH 5 Drama/documentary was so much better last week

Agreed:)
  • Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »

There is much more that could be done with the Titanic story. For instance, I am seriously contemplating writing a fictional script where Jack the Ripper has been arrested in 1889 for a crime unrelated to the murders he committed. Unaware that he was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, the authorities release at the end of his sentence in 1912. Wanting to flee to America to escape the eye of the law, The Ripper boards the Titanic. However, his appetite for murdering has not dimished. He finds himself in the perfect position to end more lives and get away with; in the middle of the ocean and amidst the chaos of Titanic sinking...
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be all over in three weeks, then everyone will have something else to complain about.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackboy18 wrote: »
    There is much more that could be done with the Titanic story. For instance, I am seriously contemplating writing a fictional script where Jack the Ripper has been arrested in 1889 for a crime unrelated to the murders he committed. Unaware that he was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, the authorities release at the end of his sentence in 1912. Wanting to flee to America to escape the eye of the law, The Ripper boards the Titanic. However, his appetite for murdering has not dimished. He finds himself in the perfect position to end more lives and get away with; in the middle of the ocean and amidst the chaos of Titanic sinking...

Now that is an interesting concept for a script!!
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...but then the Decepticon rises out of the water, and...
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So most of you didnt like it then? In which case im glad I didnt watch it.
    Why dont you all go watch titanic at the cinema(equally made up shite)
    But with more money thrown at it!
    Forum Member
    Because its just as inaccurate - http://www.paullee.com/jc1997goofs.html - thats why!!!!
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member

Never write ideas like this in a public forum - it will get pinched!!! Personally, I think that you have something there.
    Forum Member
    Got the URL wrong - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/jc1997goofs.html

I like Jack the Ripper as a concept; after all, he's been in Star Trek, so why not the Titanic? The genre is open to so much speculation.

The very best fictional Titanic story I ever read considers what would would have happened if the ship hadn't sunk. The final passage of the story has one passenger, who would have otherwise perished, accidentally run down and kill a character in his automobile a few years after 1912. The last line of the story is set in the autopsy room as the forms are filled out. "Deceased's name: Hitler, Adolf."
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Interesting. Basic premise is similar to the movie Time after Time with Malcolm McDowell, where Jack the Ripper (David Warner) is the secret persona of a well known surgeon and friend of unknowing author H G Wells (McDowell), who has built a real time machine. Jack, when found out, uses the machine to escape into the future and recommences his grisly campaign. The machine jumps back home on its own allowing Wells to pursue him into the future to stop him.

Anyway all this was more interesting that the show!!
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I think you mean Malcolm McDowall though ;)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    DrPL wrote: »
    Indeed. I think you mean Malcolm McDowall though ;)
    Thank you. Edited!! Michael York would have played the part well though!! :D
    Forum Member
    Agreed, an excellent actor, like McDowall.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    DrPL wrote: »

Interesting website :)
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    Never write ideas like this in a public forum - it will get pinched!!! Personally, I think that you have something there.

Premise is a little too much like Crippen though. He tried to escape to America via an ocean liner but Dew of the yard crossed the ocean quicker via the Laurentic.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    shya100 wrote: »
    Because of what it symbolised: The unsinkable ship, the cream and monied of society, the high deaths in steerage, the high male deaths, the fact that very few of the lifeboats came back to help, the association (now) with the first world war and the changing socieities. Lusitania does get a look in but there are some which never do. It isn't the maritime disaster in and of itself which keeps titanic in the public consciousness it is what it stood for.

Like another poster said, the Titanic has been milked for all its worth.

There is a juicy conspiracy to go with the Lusitania though and much of the film could be dedicated to investigating why exactly it sunk so quickly. Was the Lusitania carrying armaments in her hold in order to increase the damage from a torpedo and expedite the sinking and was Churchill implicit in the sinking in order to bring the United States into the War? Ripe for a great film there. Soppy class divided romances and hunts for old necklaces can sod right off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Like another poster said, the Titanic has been milked for all its worth.

There is a juicy conspiracy to go with the Lusitania though and much of the film could be dedicated to investigating why exactly it sunk so quickly. Was the Lusitania carrying armaments in her hold in order to increase the damage from a torpedo and expedite the sinking and was Churchill implicit in the sinking in order to bring the United States into the War? Ripe for a great film there. Soppy class divided romances and hunts for old necklaces can sod right off.

So has any popular 'story', do we need four hundred versions of Jane Eyre no there are plenty of other brilliant books. It's what people like.

Anyway I wish this show had been shown consecutively anyway we will see what happens in the end.