My Sky Q Install

joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
Forum Member
Sky sent round this afternoon two Sky Q installers - both cowboys - find out more below, in two different Sky vans

As soon as they arrived they were asking me where is my dish is, how they knew that is anyone's guess,
so I showed them

Then they were moaning a lot about me ordering the Hybrid LNB with Sky

Then they were moaning that I wanted two shotgun cables installed, they said I could only have one installed, maybe fair enough, even though it would not hurt them to install two at the same time by holding two together

Then they were moaning some more about the Hybrid LNB saying that it costs Sky £600 each
and that is how much they are worth and it is only installed in Business Premises,
I told them that I am a Business, they said Oh, it is true as I use my Flat as an office
and a restricted Community Centre
I cannot understand how the Hybrid LNB costs Sky £600 each as Sky produces/makes them
- well actually Amstrad who is owned by Sky

The first thing they did was to run the cable inside my Flat near to the TV to outside,
then the main person took the old dish down and put a new Sky dish on the wall in it's place,
then they run the cable to the dish and connected the cable to the dish
The main person aligned the dish
They then brought the Sky Q Silver box from the van and the main person connected the box through WiFi
to my BT Smarthub Router and updated the software on the box
Then the main person put the Viewing Card in the box and paired the card to the box

Then the main person got his IPad and took a photo of the Sky Q cardboard box that the Sky Q Silver box came in
Then the main person took a Barcode Sticker off the cardboard box and put it on a piece of paper
Then he showed me how the Sky Silver box works using the Touch remote
Then the main person asked me to sign for the Hybrid LNB using the main person's IPad,
which I did using my finger in the box that was shown on the IPad
Then the main person asked me to sign for the Install using the main person's IPad,

Then they said enjoy and then they left

I will upload the Sky Q Manual later

Comments

• BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky sent round this afternoon two Sky Q installers - both cowboys - find out more below, in two different Sky vans

As soon as they arrived they were asking me where is my dish is, how they knew that is anyone's guess,
    so I showed them

Then they were moaning that I wanted two shotgun cables installed, they said I could only have one installed, maybe fair enough, even though it would not hurt them to install two at the same time by holding two together

Then they were moaning some more about the Hybrid LNB saying that it costs Sky £600 each
    and that is how much they are worth and it is only installed in Business Premises,
    I told them that I am a Business, they said Oh, it is true as I use my Flat as an office
    I cannot understand how the Hybrid LNB costs Sky £600 each as Sky produces/makes them

The first thing they did was to run the cable inside my Flat near to the TV to outside,
    then the main person took the old dish down and put a new Sky dish on the wall in it's place,
    They then brought the Sky Q Silver box from the van and the main person connected the box through WiFi
    Then the main person put the Viewing Card in the box and paired the card to the box

Then the main person got his IPad and took a photo of the Sky Q cardboard box that the Sky Q Silver box came in
    Then the main person took a Barcode Sticker off the cardboard box and put it on a piece of paper
    Then the main person asked me to sign for the Hybrid LNB using the main person's IPad,
    Then the main person asked me to sign for the Install using the main person's IPad,

Can i juat point out that you are having sky Q installed not freview. Sky engineers are under very.strict timings for each job and extras cannot be done. Especially if it means drilling more holes etc.
    Never heard that Hybrids vost 600 quid and hybrids are to be used when a dish is feeding other 3rd party equipment either freesat or BT Sport on another set top box.
    Find it strange you signed 2 ipads though. That would suggest 2 jobs in existence which is strange.
    Also ive never had to get a hybrid signed and have used them on legacy sky where customer is getting Q in the future to save someone having to go to the dish
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so I showed them

Cowboys ... What a silly comment!?!

Simple... Because you requested a hybrid lnb!!!
  • 19x19x Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Cowboys ... What a silly comment!?!

Simple... Because you requested a hybrid lnb!!!

I don't even get that? What's wrong if they asked where the dish was? :confused:
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Quite, how were they supposed to know if it wasn't immediately obvious! :confused:
    It also sounds like you were happy with the job at the end of the day, so why are you calling them cowboys? :D
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Can i juat point out that you are having sky Q installed not freview. Sky engineers are under very.strict timings for each job and extras cannot be done. Especially if it means drilling more holes etc.
    Never heard that Hybrids vost 600 quid and hybrids are to be used when a dish is feeding other 3rd party equipment either freesat or BT Sport on another set top box.
    Find it strange you signed 2 ipads though. That would suggest 2 jobs in existence which is strange.
    Also ive never had to get a hybrid signed and have used them on legacy sky where customer is getting Q in the future to save someone having to go to the dish

Yes, I was having Sky installed and NOT Freesat - Freeview is the terrestrial service, nothing to do with Satellites
    I only signed ONE IPad but on two different pages
    Yes, it was two jobs in existence one was the Hybrid LNB and the other was the Sky Q install
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Quite, how were they supposed to know if it wasn't immediately obvious! :confused:
    It also sounds like you were happy with the job at the end of the day, so why are you calling them cowboys? :D

I am calling them cowboys because they looked at the room and I had to show them where the cable was going, the could see the TV and where they need to drill the hole, it was obvious

How they knew about the old dish on the property, I think they must of had a record of it,
    as I did NOT mention it to them at all and they asked about it straight away
    The old dish was in the back garden and you CANNOT see it from the road or the driveway
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »

Yes, I was happy with the install at the end of the day
    Forum Member
    I don't think I would have any problem with an installer asking me about aspects of the job. It protects them, if nothing else, against any disputes later with the customer saying that they didn't know what was actually being done and how. If the installer asks and consults the customer, that surely can only be a good thing.
    I would only describe someone as a "cowboy" is they did shoddy, untidy or unsafe work, and it doesn't sound as if that was the case.
    If your installers read your OP, I think they would have every right to be angry about it frankly!
    :)
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the most odd discussion!
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding post 1 in this thread to be rather peculiar to say the least!

"Then the main man had a cheese and pickle sandwich"....
  • rscottrscott Posts: 6,798
    Forum Member
    I am calling them cowboys because they looked at the room and I had to show them where the cable was going, the could see the TV and where they need to drill the hole, it was obvious

How they knew about the old dish on the property, I think they must of had a record of it,
    as I did NOT mention it to them at all and they asked about it straight away
    The old dish was in the back garden and you CANNOT see it from the road or the driveway

Given that you'd asked for hybrid LNB, you must have existing satellite based services, hence they knew you had a dish somewhere...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was having Sky installed and NOT Freesat - Freeview is the terrestrial service, nothing to do with Satellites
    I only signed ONE IPad but on two different pages
    Yes, it was two jobs in existence one was the Hybrid LNB and the other was the Sky Q install

Frankly anyone reading this should ignore all comments made. The OP obviously wants to moan for moaning sake.

I also dont believe there was a job for Q and a job for the hybrid as there is no such job for installing a hybrid as they are used as and when theyre needed.
    Its not obvious where to bring the cable in without a full inspection. Especially if no existing infrastructure is in that particular room.

And yes if you asked for a hybrid its slap in the face obvious you have an existing dish.

I catagorically do not believe anything written in post #1
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I am finding post 1 in this thread to be rather peculiar to say the least!
    Actually I thought it was quite normal for one of Joshua's posts!
    :D
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member

so I showed them

I think you just re-wrote the definition of moaning.
    Cheer up.
    Have a pint.
    It's bloody TV.
  • installeroninstalleron Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Running extra cables can lead to displinary say on drilling the hole they caused damage to the property for something that is not related to the product they are installing? What do you think would happen after the investigation? You do not sign twice for anything when the job is completed total nonsense. There has been no official briefing on how much the hybrid lnbs cost and can be used when needed without reprocussins from senior management. So after your moan what do you actually think of SKY Q?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Frankly anyone reading this should ignore all comments made. The OP obviously wants to moan for moaning sake.

I also dont believe there was a job for Q and a job for the hybrid as there is no such job for installing a hybrid as they are used as and when theyre needed.
    Its not obvious where to bring the cable in without a full inspection. Especially if no existing infrastructure is in that particular room.

And yes if you asked for a hybrid its slap in the face obvious you have an existing dish.

This, entirely!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of Ballcocks ........................
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member

I also agree 100%!
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    So after your moan what do you actually think of SKY Q?
    As he's said elsewhere that he's using an old CRT TV, I doubt if he's in much of a position to give much of an opinion on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Joshua. Joshua joshua , Joshua. Your review has been taken in jest i feel!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Oh Joshua. Joshua joshua , Joshua. Your review has been taken in jest i feel!
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell. Winstons broadened his vocab!!
  • Richard_AylottRichard_Aylott Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Any reason why you felt the need to do a step by step of what the engineers did???? Seriously bored me out. To be honest, really couldn't understand what point you were trying to make.

#firstworldproblems
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The usual load of tripe from someone who calls himself a journalist.