Options

sky comeback offers

2»

Comments

• Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    You sound like you're sponsored by Sky. I'm surprised you didn't sign off with 'believe in better'

Yes I get accused of that often.

I was just explaining how I measure the value of Sky against the criticisms.

When it often costs more to attend one Premier League game a month than your entire monthly Sky subscription, it really highlights the value of the product for sports fans.

If you're not into sports much, don't really care about all the movie premieres every week, and only watch a few entertainment channels, then paying full price for everything would feel quite expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've just cancelled and immediately saw the 50% off for 12 months on My SKy. Should i accept this or hold out for something better?
  • Options
    xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just cancelled and immediately saw the 50% off for 12 months on My SKy. Should i accept this or hold out for something better?

I'm in the same situation as yourself, however I do hear there is a 75% offer about!
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am cancelling sky in November after being with them 20 years. I just don't see the point in paying about £1000 a year .......

Why did you spend so much for so long for content you did not enjoy!?!

You can only watch one channel at a time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xtradj wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation as yourself, however I do hear there is a 75% offer about!

I'll let you know if i find anything
  • Options
    prettyflyguyprettyflyguy Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    My old deactivated on 2nd August account is showing the usual 60% off any package for now.
  • Options
    greeninfernogreeninferno Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »
    Yes I get accused of that often.

I was just explaining how I measure the value of Sky against the criticisms.

When it often costs more to attend one Premier League game a month than your entire monthly Sky subscription, it really highlights the value of the product for sports fans.

If you're not into sports much, don't really care about all the movie premieres every week, and only watch a few entertainment channels, then paying full price for everything would feel quite expensive.

where's this then?

its also absolutely disgraceful that non football fans across all platforms are subsidising those that like EPL football
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My old deactivated on 2nd August account is showing the usual 60% off any package for now.

Is that for 12 months? Do you know how soon after your sub ended it became available? cheers
  • Options
    xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that for 12 months? Do you know how soon after your sub ended it became available? cheers

I was on 60 percent, but i was offered 50 percent off everything including hd today, plus fifty pound credit. I've declined. Still think there is better out there
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    ..... its also absolutely disgraceful that non football fans across all platforms are subsidising those that like EPL football
    They aren't, although I accept that the evidence/argument differs from platform-to-platform; that there are competition issues in respect of Premier league rights, that have caused the costs to escalate; and that there are contradicting arguments.

In respect of Sky's business as it is today, the Premier League was the primary driver of subscriptions that has subsequently enabled them to broaden their investment in other areas, including entertainment, product/equipment development etc.

Sports subscribers- again driven in large numbers by the Premier League- are understood to buy more high-margin services on average- such as HD and multiscreen- than other subscribers.

Sky have a highly profitable business, selling commercial sports subscriptions to pubs/clubs etc., which contributes to the offsetting of sports costs. BT also sell to commercial premises.

Sky are offsetting sports costs by selling day, week & monthly sports passes- priced according to premium content- on Now TV. BT are monetising their rights through EE- now part of the BT Group (Sky are also entering the mobile market and could, potentially, seek to offset some of the cost of its sports content, in a similar manner to BT).

mlt11 did some analysis in another thread, in respect of Sky, that concluded (rightly, in my opinion) that "what it boils down to is that the whole business is built on premium subscribers - who are contributing over 80% of TV subscription revenue".

The mistake, I believe, is to think that if the Premier League was extracted from the equation, then this leads to significant price reductions for non-football fans and the same investment in non-football/sports content, equipment etc.

The evidence in the case of Sky, is that if they were to remove Sky Sports and/or Premier League coverage from their customer offer, this would fundamentally change the offer for a very large proportion of their highest contributing customers. Thus, the Premier League rights and Sky Sports are crucial to supporting the remainder of the tv business and distributing the costs over a larger customer base, buying more additional products/services than non-premium subscribers.

There's a longer discussion of this at http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2148652
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had 50% offers appear as soon as I cancelled, ignored it, few days later they phoned up and offered 50% with 30 quid credit, little bit of haggling got 50 quid credit and I took that, not tied into a contract either
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    After cancelling the TV package a couple weeks ago and not happy with their offers over the phone, I received the 60% off deal along with something pertaining to Sky Q in the mail yesterday. It went in the trash, with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV [passes going really cheap on the net!] & VPN is all a person needs nowadays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After cancelling the TV package a couple weeks ago and not happy with their offers over the phone, I received the 60% off deal along with something pertaining to Sky Q in the mail yesterday. It went in the trash, with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV [passes going really cheap on the net!] & VPN is all a person needs nowadays.

Mostly agree. I live abroad and would buy freesat now, but if Sky offer good enough deal will prob stick with it as don't want hassle of losing recordings.
    I had 50% offers appear as soon as I cancelled, ignored it, few days later they phoned up and offered 50% with 30 quid credit, little bit of haggling got 50 quid credit and I took that, not tied into a contract either

That's very good, are you sure no contract? - all the deals I've seen/been offered require new 12 month contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member

(it's disappeared now - perhaps they're watching this thread!)
  • Options
    arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    (it's disappeared now - perhaps they're watching this thread!)

I wouldn't be worried. I cancelled back in February and get an email every month with the 50% offer. It went to 60% at one time but has now reverted to 50%
  • Options
    prettyflyguyprettyflyguy Posts: 14
    Forum Member

My old account is now showing through the left sky in last 12 months option.

60% off and £75 credit off any package although no sky Q mentioned and 12 month contract. Dont know when this offer appeared as just clicked link this morning.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left Sky in May. I got the usual 50% off emails and phone calls. Yesterday I decided to go on live chat and see what I could get. Initially it was the same 50% plus stuck in a contract. I declined. Then it was 50% off with no contract, I declined, then it was 60% off in a contract, I declined, then 60% with no contract, I declined. then it was 60% off with £50 credit and a contract, I declined. I eventually settled on 60% off with £50 credit and no contract.

So it comes to £26 per month for everything minus movies. Not to bad I guess.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left Sky in May. I got the usual 50% off emails and phone calls. Yesterday I decided to go on live chat and see what I could get. Initially it was the same 50% plus stuck in a contract. I declined. Then it was 50% off with no contract, I declined, then it was 60% off in a contract, I declined, then 60% with no contract, I declined. then it was 60% off with £50 credit and a contract, I declined. I eventually settled on 60% off with £50 credit and no contract.

Be careful, last year I had 60% discount with £100 credit with 'no contract' so when I cancelled 10 months later I was told I owe them money because I was still in a 12 month contract. So while it is still a decent deal I would take the contract thing with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful, last year I had 60% discount with £100 credit with 'no contract' so when I cancelled 10 months later I was told I owe them money because I was still in a 12 month contract. So while it is still a decent deal I would take the contract thing with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for the tip, I must check that out today just to be sure.
  • Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can i ask you do you get sports in HD for that £26 a a month?
    And do they send you a copy of your contract saying its a rolling monthly contract, and not a 12 month fixed contract. thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can i ask you do you get sports in HD for that £26 a a month?
    And do they send you a copy of your contract saying its a rolling monthly contract, and not a 12 month fixed contract. thanks

No I couldn't get hd without a contract. It wouldn't let me.
  • Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I couldn't get hd without a contract. It wouldn't let me.

Have you any idea how much the cost would have been with the HD pack included for the sports?
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you any idea how much the cost would have been with the HD pack included for the sports?

It was an extra £6 when i was negotiating a couple of months ago, i didn't bother with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    It was an extra £6 when i was negotiating a couple of months ago, i didn't bother with it.

Correct it would of taken me to £32 odd per month.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »

I ignored the sports HD as well, it's so pathetic to still have to pay extra for that.