Options

SKy Go Extra & Sky Q

PhoenixPhoenix Posts: 346
Forum Member
When Sky Q was launched the publicity issued by Sky stated that Sky Go Extra was included in both the basic Sky Q bundle and the Sky Q Silver bundle...

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/skyq/press-releases/2016/sky-q--the-next-generation-of-tv-goes-on-sale-in-february-with-a-set-up-cost-from-just-99

However why would a Sky Q customer need to use Sky Go Extra when the Sky Q app is available?

Comments

• Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the Sky Q app you can only watch live TV when you are connected to your home network whereas using Sky Go you can watch live TV when you are out and about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    With the Sky Q app you can only watch live TV when you are connected to your home network whereas using Sky Go you can watch live TV when you are out and about.

However according to Sky you can use the Sky Q app to watch live TV when you are away from home...

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-sky-q-app
  • Options
    19x19x Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I've posted in another thread about having issues registering devices with the Sky Q app. I'm guessing that when you're away from home if you use the Sky Q app to watch live TV that somehow links to your Sky Go account.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    At the moment, the Q app is only on tablets.. Sky Go works on phones, PC & Mac .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »
    At the moment, the Q app is only on tablets.. Sky Go works on phones, PC & Mac .

Thanks for that clarification. I currently use Sky Go on a tablet so I assume when I get Sky Q and the Sky Q app the Sky Go app on my tablet will be redundant.
  • Options
    19x19x Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    You can watch shows from the Sky Q box across as many devices as you like when you're at home, but only one at a time if you have a Sky Q 1TB box, or two if you have the Sky Q 2TB box.

The first time you try to watch live TV or on demand shows when you're away from home, or download shows to your device, you'll be asked to enter your Sky iD. This will register your device.

You can register up to four devices and manage them online. Your device limit includes Sky Q app, Sky Kids app, Sky Cinema app, Sky Sports app and Sky Go. So, for example, if you have Sky Q app and Sky Kids app on your compatible device it counts as one registered device and if you have Sky Q app on one device and Sky Kids app on another, it counts as two.