HDR fox T2 or Youview box?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
Isn't it just typical? after some time checking out reviews etc. I'd finally decided to replace my PVR with a shiny new HDR Fox T2. Then along comes youview....

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on which to go for?

On the one hand, the FoxT2 has an excellent reputation for both sound and picture quality together with a good user interface. On the other, the extra functionality of having all of the catch-up players available integrated into the guide in the youview box is appealing.

My main thoughts at the moment are:

Will the Humax youview box have the same or better picture and sound quality than the FoxT2? ie will it use the same ADCs etc?

Assuming that the Youview box will have a quicker processor, will this make for a better overall performance?

Has the box been rushed out for the olympics and if so will it be buggy as a very buggy thing??

I realise that only time will answer these questions but I would welcome views from you knowledgeable people. Have I missed anything?

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem in answering your questions is that the people who have the box are testers operating under a non-disclosure agreement. There are a number of things missing from the published specifications of the YouView box at the moment: wireless dongle, DLNA server/client; I would guess they will come but I don't know for certain. The existing HDR-FOX T2 is a mature box that works very well in practice in our experience and their is custom firmware to extend the functionality. I don't think shortage of CPU power limits the HDR in normal operation but a faster may be necessary for some of the other players.

The YouView box has the players; you need to decide how much you would use them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The problem in answering your questions is that the people who have the box are testers operating under a non-disclosure agreement. There are a number of things missing from the published specifications of the YouView box at the moment: wireless dongle, DLNA server/client; I would guess they will come but I don't know for certain. The existing HDR-FOX T2 is a mature box that works very well in practice in our experience and their is custom firmware to extend the functionality. I don't think shortage of CPU power limits the HDR in normal operation but a faster may be necessary for some of the other players.

The YouView box has the players; you need to decide how much you would use them.

Very fair comment! I must admit I hadn't considered the implications of non-disclosure for testers!

This adds weight to my fear that it will take time before I get any meaningful answer to my queries. Not good when I have a new HDTV patiently waiting to be fed on appropriate freeview HD content.....

I take your point about the players being available on the youview box and I suspect that I maybe wouldn't use them that much but If the £50 or so extra bought me that, plus a marginally better PVR then maybe it would be worth paying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rabenson wrote: »
    I take your point about the players being available on the youview box and I suspect that I maybe wouldn't use them that much but If the £50 or so extra bought me that, plus a marginally better PVR then maybe it would be worth paying?
    At the moment it isn't clear whether it will be better. The CPU is more powerful but for standard tasks the HDR CPU is adequate and the experiments with the custom firmware suggest that it only struggles under extreme circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    It is difficult to comment on the YouView product as even reviewers don’t seem to have got their hands on it yet. I would guess the picture quality will be identical to the HDR (although there has been some hardware changes). So it really is down to how much you would use the catch-up services above and beyond the BBC-I player, recently introduced 4seven channel etc. available on the HDR. What you would lose as detailed above is DLNA, FTP and most probably any Custom Firmware as the new box has both Humax AND YouView code to work around. A Wi-Fi dongle is a Must-have YouView specification that Humax seem to be having difficulty with for some reason but it will be there eventually.
    Forum Member
    Dispite one of the reviewers calling their review 'HandsOn', It's clear that both reviews were from a Launch day presention e.g. "We'll bring you a full review of the Humax DTR-T1000 as soon as review samples are available."
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried the suitability app & it says my internet connection isn't fast enoughfor YouView but BBC iPlayer,YouTube work perfectly on both my PVRs Do the YouView functions need a faster connection?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Am not sure that YouView to allow me to see non-BBC programs that I forgot to watch or record "live" or even when repeated 1 hour later on the +1 channels - and then gobbles up my broadband usage limit in a trice exactly floats my boat.

That is not even including the comment that the output of the commercial channels is perhaps a tad on the inconsequential (mindless?) side, not really inviting the "advantage" of being able to see it again.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview for the forgetful.

And you can't skip the ads on the commercial channels.

Where's the extra IPTV channels (like Connect TV)?

What will the on-demand services be like? Free, subscription, pay-per-view? How much?

I'm not clear that YouView would give me much more than my Sony 'smart' TV.

What's the point in marketing a box that can record if it can only record what current Freeview boxes can?
  • MARKIVMARKIV Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    In answer to the original posters question. Get the Youview one, purely as I doubt they'll be many more updates for HDR-T2. Although Sky Player is still supposedly coming, almost 2 years after launch of the HDR-T2 if Humax are to be believed.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARKIV wrote: »
    Although Sky Player is still supposedly coming, almost 2 years after launch of the HDR-T2 if Humax are to be believed.

It's already there for the custom firmware users according to the threads on hummy.tv, just hidden for normal users.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARKIV wrote: »
    Get the Youview one, purely as I doubt they'll be many more updates for HDR-T2.
    Have you actually used the Youview box?
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Youview box currently only has the four catchup services although more services are promised. If you read the released operating manual, there are currently no provisions for media playback from USB devices or home network and you have to question whether this is because it is yet to be implemented by Humax (they are not providing a wifi dongle even as an optional extra on their direct sales site) or if it goes against the Youview philosopy of simple operation for mainstream consumers.
    Forum Member
    Humax (and the other makers, if they ever come to market) have built a YouView product to the YouView specification, It is as if they are making a set-top box for a cable company. They have no control over what the box can and can't do, because they didn't write the spec. As most things are that are designed by a committee, it is flawed in many ways and Humax will not be allowed to change how it operates, that is down to Mr Amstrad's mob
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely record as i use the on demand services. I use the fox hd not hdr but can still record via usb. Box was approx 90 pounds.
    I would buy a youview box on such a basis but it is not worth paying 300 pounds.

The raspberry pi computer 25 pounds can access all main free on demand channels.

Humax i have always been a fan but this time you have not really excited us.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I rarely record as i use the on demand services. I use the fox hd not hdr but can still record via usb. Box was approx 90 pounds.
    I would buy a youview box on such a basis but it is not worth paying 300 pounds.

The raspberry pi computer 25 pounds can access all main free on demand channels.

Humax i have always been a fan but this time you have not really excited us.

The raspberrry pi has a waiting time of 17 weeks from one of the official suppliers.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    The raspberrry pi has a waiting time of 17 weeks from one of the official suppliers.

Not wishing to double post see my post in pc forum.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment it isn't clear whether it will be better.

Isn't it?

The lack of a screen saver is a plus point for me. And also the lack of folders for recordings.

hummytv has listed these additional youview features.
    Is there an Edit Channels option = No
    Can we set up Favourites = No
    Is there a Manual Tuning option = No
    Padding of timers = No padding options
    Manual schedule times = No
    Edit schedule timers = No
    Extend instant Record time = No
    Programme searches = on demand only NOT EPG
    USB Ports = No file Export
    WiFi = available in future (Not Now)
    Can I skip adverts = No
    Can I select multiple recordings to delete = No
    Can I record on demand content = No
    Power up time = 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Power Down time = 6 Mins 7 Secs
    Quick power up = 23 Secs (Requires 16.2 Watt Standby)
    Software updates = Will only be made available via Lan connection. No OTA
    Resolution change options = No
    Aspect ratio change options = No
    Hummytv link: What's the point?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err the post of mine you have quoted is three weeks old and quite a lot of information has emerged in that time.
  • HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Isn't it?

The lack of a screen saver is a plus point for me. And also the lack of folders for recordings.

hummytv has listed these additional youview features.

All of which has been copied from the FAQ's that appeared here overnight

myhumax forum
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I've just purchased the Youview box today after seeing one in John Lewis, was a breeze to set up and I've got a free month to BT Vision which will be cancelled pretty much straight away. I would like to see someway to stream a few different streaming services such as Netflix and lovefilm ect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daz2008 wrote: »
    I've just purchased the Youview box today after seeing one in John Lewis, was a breeze to set up and I've got a free month to BT Vision which will be cancelled pretty much straight away. I would like to see someway to stream a few different streaming services such as Netflix and lovefilm ect.

I'd like to see it turn into a decent PVR rather a waste of space but we can't have everything (and yes I do have a DTR-T1000).