Humax 9150T - missing channels since final DSO retune - no issues with other TV sets?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
Forum Member
Before the great digital switchover, we had great reception on all channels.

Since the last prompted retune a few weeks ago, we have a number of channels that show up in the epg, but the reception is either very poor (constant image freezing etc..) or it says no/bad signal.
It affects a lot of the smaller channels like Dave, Quest and a number of the +1s.

Nothing has changed other than doing a full auto tune replacing all channels.

The TV freeview tuner has not had such problems.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since the last prompted retune a few weeks ago, we have a number of channels that show up in the epg, but the reception is either very poor (constant image freezing etc..) or it says no/bad signal.
    It affects a lot of the smaller channels like Dave, Quest and a number of the +1s.

Any ideas?

After the major retune there was an increase in power so reception should be better
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any ideas?
    I expect the "full auto tune" picked up an alternative transmitter and put some channels in the usual places. I expect you will find the 'proper' channels up in the 800s. Delete all the channels and do a manual tune on each of the multiplexes for the correct UHF channels.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member

Any ideas?

After making sure the aerial cable hasn't come loose from the 9150...
    Use the postcode checker at digital uk http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ (tick the detailed view box) to find which transmitter gives the best reception in your area and then manually tune only the channels from that transmitter. Delete all existing channels on the 9150 first. For further info see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/instructions-for-manual-retune.872/

Tuners may have a different scanning strategy when they come across multiple transmitters - some automatically pick the strongest signal, some give you the choice, others take them in scanning order. Clearly your 9150 and TV use two different methods.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    After making sure the aerial cable hasn't come loose from the 9150...
    Use the postcode checker at digital uk http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ (tick the detailed view box) to find which transmitter gives the best reception in your area and then manually tune only the channels from that transmitter. Delete all existing channels on the 9150 first. For further info see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/instructions-for-manual-retune.872/

Tuners may have a different scanning strategy when they come across multiple transmitters - some automatically pick the strongest signal, some give you the choice, others take them in scanning order. Clearly your 9150 and TV use two different methods.

One postcodefinder says my nearest tx is Dover,& I'm in Southend,My nearest are Crystal Palace or Bluebell Hill
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Before I go down the route of deleting and manully adding channels, auto tuning always used to work - why would this not now work after the DSO.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I go down the route of deleting and manully adding channels, auto tuning always used to work - why would this not now work after the DSO.
    Perhaps the 'wrong' transmitters are now powerful enough to be picked up. (Most transmitters increased in strength considerably after DSO.)

You haven't said whether you have any channels in the 800s yet.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote: »
    Perhaps the 'wrong' transmitters are now powerful enough to be picked up. (Most transmitters increased in strength considerably after DSO.)

You haven't said whether you have any channels in the 800s yet.

Yeah, I agree with this as I've had the same issues.
    I use the wolfbane to make sure I'm tuned into the correct UHF channels http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?MAP=661,936
    Forum Member
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    One postcodefinder says my nearest tx is Dover,& I'm in Southend,My nearest are Crystal Palace or Bluebell Hill

If I put in the postcode of the Southend visitor information centre (into digital uk), my interpretation of the results is that CP is the best transmitter (not necessarily the nearest). Best alternative, Dover then BH.

Wolfbane on the same postcode shows CP, BH then Dover.
    Forum Member

In the Central East region, before DSO I could only pick up one transmitter (Waltham). A retune would only pick up Waltham.

After DSO, the power on Belmont and Sutton Coldfield increased a lot. My 9150 will attempt to pick Belmont in preference to Waltham even though the aerial is pointing at least 90 degrees away from Belmont! The only solution is to manually tune.

I do not have intimate knowledge of the transmitters in your area (I'm not sure you've specified where you are and what transmitter you used before DSO) - so I can't tell you if the power has increased on another transmitter. But if another transmitter has had a big power increase at DSO you could well have the problems you describe.
    As other people have asked - do you have duplicates of the channels above 800?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your responses all.

I used the uk digital and wolfsbane pages to find out that my best transmitter would be Tunbridge Wells. I deleted all channels then manually added the 5 MUX channels for this transmitter - 41, 42, 44, 49, 52.

I now seem to have all channels displaying good quality pictures. They were showing Strength of 80% and Quality of 100%. The one problem I have now found is that the EPG only fills up to Friday/Saturday for the channels on MUX 1 (ch. 49, ITV, C4 etc...

The other channels on other muxs go up to 7 days, nut these don't. I had no issues with EPG prior to manual scan.

Ideas?
    Forum Member
    I now seem to have all channels displaying good quality pictures. They were showing Strength of 80% and Quality of 100%. The one problem I have now found is that the EPG only fills up to Friday/Saturday for the channels on MUX 1 (ch. 49, ITV, C4 etc...

The other channels on other muxs go up to 7 days, nut these don't. I had no issues with EPG prior to manual scan.

Ideas?

Glad to see you've solved one problem!

(I'm too lazy to look for the link...) If you search the threads on one of the forums you'll find that other people are having problems with the EPG. I don't think there is an obvious easy solution - just tune in to BBC1 and leave the Humax switched on as long as possible - and hope!
    As to why you might not have had a problem before the manual scan - perhaps someone else knows, I can't think of a good reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I put in the postcode of the Southend visitor information centre (into digital uk), my interpretation of the results is that CP is the best transmitter (not necessarily the nearest). Best alternative, Dover then BH.

Wolfbane on the same postcode shows CP, BH then Dover.

When I queried this I was told information is from the BBC but no way can I pick up Dover,when my 3view was still alive it picked up CP,BH & after freeview updates Sudbury,try my PC SS30PH
    Forum Member
    I tried the old, tune into BBC and see what happens thing, but still big gaps. Oddly, ITV now has up to Fri morning, then a gap, then some Saturday to Tuesday, then more gaps!
    Forum Member
    I tried the old, tune into BBC and see what happens thing, but still big gaps. Oddly, ITV now has up to Fri morning, then a gap, then some Saturday to Tuesday, then more gaps!

Same problem where I am.
    Forum Member
    When I queried this I was told information is from the BBC but no way can I pick up Dover,when my 3view was still alive it picked up CP,BH & after freeview updates Sudbury,try my PC SS30PH

Not sure it was advisable to put PC!
    I tried and see what you mean. Wolfbane has all transmitters requiring amplified extra high gain aerials with Bluebell Hill as the best (and nearest). But Digital UK definately does suggest Dover. Very strange! Digital UK makes you believe CP & BH are unwatchable!

Do you actually get a watchable service on all multiplexes?

Just a thought. Do you know anyone at the same PC who can receive Dover?
    I have heard that the signal strength can change quite a bit by moving an aerial a short distance. Perhaps you are just in a dead spot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure it was advisable to put PC!
    I tried and see what you mean. Wolfbane has all transmitters requiring amplified extra high gain aerials with Bluebell Hill as the best (and nearest). But Digital UK definately does suggest Dover. Very strange! Digital UK makes you believe CP & BH are unwatchable!

Do you actually get a watchable service on all multiplexes?

Just a thought. Do you know anyone at the same PC who can receive Dover?
    I have heard that the signal strength can change quite a bit by moving an aerial a short distance. Perhaps you are just in a dead spot.

I wouldn't think over 300 channels is a deadspot,aerial is high on the roof pointing at CP.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't think over 300 channels is a deadspot,aerial is high on the roof pointing at CP.

I meant a deadspot for the Dover transmitter!

Using a loft aerial, I can pick up a distant transmitter if the aerial is in one place. If I move it one or two feet across the loft the signal disappears. Signals from the nearer transmitters remain.

Just wondered if that was a similar effect with the Dover transmitter. I suppose there could always be a tree or building getting in the way that the postcode checker doesn't know about.

I don't suppose it really matters. If you're getting a good enough signal from CP and are not bothered that it's the wrong region, then great. If you actually want the signal from Dover then there is a problem.

And the moral is... you can't rely on the postcode checkers to be 100% accurate. But in many cases it gives a good indication of what you might receive and usually gives alternative transmitters to try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant a deadspot for the Dover transmitter!

Using a loft aerial, I can pick up a distant transmitter if the aerial is in one place. If I move it one or two feet across the loft the signal disappears. Signals from the nearer transmitters remain.

Just wondered if that was a similar effect with the Dover transmitter. I suppose there could always be a tree or building getting in the way that the postcode checker doesn't know about.

I don't suppose it really matters. If you're getting a good enough signal from CP and are not bothered that it's the wrong region, then great. If you actually want the signal from Dover then there is a problem.

And the moral is... you can't rely on the postcode checkers to be 100% accurate. But in many cases it gives a good indication of what you might receive and usually gives alternative transmitters to try.

BH is the same service as Dover as far as I know,I blank out all duplicate channels except BBC1 & ITV from BH & Sudbury so I can choose any of 3 local news channels,does anyone near the Essex south coast receive Dover? I doubt it. As you say cannot rely on PC check sites