My Last Summer - Channel 4, Wednesdays 10pm

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got married - aw. This is so hard to watch.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so distressing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Sonia, my heart is breaking for her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That has to be the saddest thing I ever saw on tv, heartbreaking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A part of me wonders if its right to film someone, if it was so soon after? but then I imagine she wanted people to see what it was like for her/them both.

I seriously need tissues now(!).
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I watched that, it was so distressing. The poor poor woman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou (the mum with MND) said in the programme she lost her best friend because that friend couldn't handle it. Jane on the programme also said her husband didn't handle it at all and so they separated. Annette (Andrew's wife) said some people drift away after a while, they make a fuss at the initial diagnosis and then disappear.

It's hard, some people don't know what to say. At times I didn't with my sister, I felt anything I said was trite and insignificant TBH compared to what she was going through. I felt if I talked about anything happy or the future that I was somehow rubbing it in. Sometimes she didn't want to talk at all. We'd just sit together in the front room of my parents house, her doing some sewing, me reading the paper and just "be".

Others just cannot face death and loss and so run fast in the other direction. It's all so individual and complex, and this programme is examining that, and I'm glad they included it from the carers/husband/wifes side too.

Sorry I didn't reply before. That makes sense. It is a hard thing to deal with, of that ive no doubt. It must be hard to know what to say (as a friend, loved one or relative of someone with a terminal illness), without risking putting your foot in it. If one things for sure, this show does make you think, about the fragility of life and how we view/fear death etc.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Deary me, don't know what to say after that.
    That's one recording, I won't be watching again.

All the more distressing because I've kinda go to know her.
  • ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never cried at anything on TV as much as I cried tonight. Poor Sonia, her grief was so raw...I just wanted someone to hug her. Put the camera or the mike down, go to her and hug her! I'll be thinking about that episode for a long time.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never cried at anything on TV as much as I cried tonight. Poor Sonia, her grief was so raw...I just wanted someone to hug her. Put the camera or the mike down, go to her and hug her! I'll be thinking about that episode for a long time.

I know, it was one of the saddest and also most powerful things I have ever witnessed on tv. I bawled my eyes out. I truly wish Sonia all the love and strength to get through her live without Junior:(
  • ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, it was one of the saddest and also most powerful things I have ever witnessed on tv. I bawled my eyes out. I truly wish Sonia all the love and strength to get through her live without Junior:(

She was so honest too. You could see the hurt, the anger, the humour, the love. Like you, I really wish her all the best. I hope she has great support around her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Junior died in December 2012, I hope they return to Sonia before the end of the series so we can see how she is getting on now. That was one of the saddest things I have ever watched, I hope someone gave her a huge hug at the end of the filming :(
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Sonia first appeared I was convinced I knew her from somewhere. Realised in the last couple of episodes that it's just because she reminds me of a couple of women I know. I love her matter of fact honesty. It was startling when she said that if he hadn't got ill Junior wouldn't have stayed with her because "once a player ..." No sentimental illusions for her. I truly hope that the past 18 months have been kind to her and if she hasn't already, finds happiness soon.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stop crying. Very powerful and so very sad.
  • MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    When Sonia first appeared I was convinced I knew her from somewhere. Realised in the last couple of episodes that it's just because she reminds me of a couple of women I know. I love her matter of fact honesty. It was startling when she said that if he hadn't got ill Junior wouldn't have stayed with her because "once a player ..." No sentimental illusions for her. I truly hope that the past 18 months have been kind to her and if she hasn't already, finds happiness soon.

I thought that also, then I figured she looked like one of the Appleby girls from the 1980s pop group Mel & Kim, where one died from cancer ironically enough

Never before have I witness raw grief. Felt for her
    its coming up to Jaynes 1st anniversary of her death on 15th July 2014. Bless her, Such a smart loving sophisticated lady, and she came across so positive and well looking RIP Jayne xxx
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that also, then I figured she looked like one of the Appleby girls from the 1980s pop group Mel & Kim, where one died from cancer ironically enough

Never before have I witness raw grief. Felt for her
    its coming up to Jaynes 1st anniversary of her death on 15th July 2014. Bless her, Such a smart loving sophisticated lady, and she came across so positive and well looking RIP Jayne xxx
    Yes she did look like an Appleby! I'm still haunted by the grief on her face at the funeral. Junior got it spot on with his funny impersonations of old West Indian ladies talking about the newly deceased but so at odds with the pain Sonya was suffering.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Junior died in December 2012, I hope they return to Sonia before the end of the series so we can see how she is getting on now. That was one of the saddest things I have ever watched, I hope someone gave her a huge hug at the end of the filming :(

Agree with this.

I just cried during this weeks programme. It was horrible seeing Junior so ill (all that blood on the phone pictures was :o) but I thought it was right to show it.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad I watched this. I like how they went from the person who's ill to the spouse/carer to the kids in the most recent episode. Each episode looking at it from the different perspectives as it really does affect everyone.

The last half hour of last week's was quite difficult to watch with Junior's rapid deterioration. I'm glad he got to celebrate his birthday and marry Sonya. It's seldom you see the nasty horrors of cancer like that. My heart broke for Sonya, I don't think he would've lasted as long without her. I hope we get an update on how she's doing.

A really interesting, thought-provoking documentary and I'm sure many have identified with it.
  • MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What upset me most of all was the fact whilst Junior was hospitalised for the very last time, his mouth was full of DRIED blood It seems Junior had been left to rot. It seems the staff just didn't bother tending to him, or cleaning his haemorrhage

How can anyone working in the NHS be so heartless? OMG I wouldn't even leave an animal like that!!
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone watching tonight?
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Some very strong opinions on there tonight. I am pleased that Jane with the son she gave up for adoption heard some news about him. Can't believe she went so quickly.

I thought the chap with lung cancer was very inconsiderate smoking outside the hospital doors.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed was abit inconsiderate he seems to not really care much anymore, one thing I was wondering was what happens when there is just one person left, what support will they get no one to talk to etc
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    agreed was abit inconsiderate he seems to not really care much anymore, one thing I was wondering was what happens when there is just one person left, what support will they get no one to talk to etc

I was thinking that too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartbreaking. So sad. Can't stop thinking about Ben dying on his own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Yes. Some very strong opinions on there tonight. I am pleased that Jane with the son she gave up for adoption heard some news about him. Can't believe she went so quickly.

I thought the chap with lung cancer was very inconsiderate smoking outside the hospital doors.

What i couldn't understand is he why would continue with palliative treatment and still continue to smoke.