Unable to see Humax HDR1000s on network

tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying to stream video from my Vista PC to my Humax HDR1000s but am having no luck.

I can see the PVR on the routers "network" page and it connects to the internet (youtube, iPlayer etc perfectly fine) but in the media sharing section on the PC I can only see my WDtv Live and the Xbox and laptop.

Is there some setting that I have missed?

I've been at this for hours and it's driving me nuts!!!!

I am still using my WDtvlive to stream but I was looking for a single box solution as the Humax is meant to be DLNA compliant.

I have tried/am trying WMP and Twonky and have rebooted both the PC and the PVR but still no joy. :confused:

Thanks,

Comments

• REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason why you cannot see the HDR-1000S on your network is that it has no shared resources.

The HDR-1000S is a DLNA client but currently, at least, is not a DLNA server. There were plans to add a DLNA secure server, hopefully this is still the intention.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a shared folder with videos in it as my WDtvlive access it.

I have Twonky running and have that folder listed as the source.

I'm thinking the problem may be related to the fact that the Humax doesn't show up with the Xbox and WDtvlive????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to pull content to the HDR-1000S using the HDR-1000S user interface.
    Home > HUMAX > (OK) Media Share.
    It will find DLNA servers.
    Select what you want from that listed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies,

When I navigate to Media Share on the Humax it just says "No Items"

When I start Twonky I can hear the HDD plugged into the WDtv Live power up so I guess the Twonky server is doing something but still nothing on the Humax.

Any ideas as to why the PVR is not showing up on the PC (Xbox and WD and laptop do)????

Thanks
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

When I navigate to Media Share on the Humax it just says "No Items"

When I start Twonky I can hear the HDD plugged into the WDtv Live power up so I guess the Twonky server is doing something but still nothing on the Humax.

Any ideas as to why the PVR is not showing up on the PC (Xbox and WD and laptop do)????

Thanks

Because it doesn't have a DLNA server only a client. Without a server there's nothing you can access on the box remotely.

My HDR1000S can see other DLNA servers on my network. A Foxsat-hdr, A HDR FOX T2 and my laptop all show up OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried it with WMP 11 as well. Isn't that a server?

Also tried Serviio and Plex ??
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it can act as a server. Which means the Humax should see any media shared through WMP. But the computer running WMP will not see the Humax because the Humax is not a server.

You need to work out why the Humax is unable to see the DLNA servers on your network, not why they cannot see the Humax. So either the DLNA servers are incorrectly configured or the Humax is.

Can the WDTV Live box see the media shares on the computer? If it can't then that suggests a problem with the set up of the computer. If it can and can stream media OK from the computer then that suggests a problem with the Humax.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does your on demand services work ?

If you select Home Humax Mediashare do you not see a list of Shared Servers ?

Locate the IP address of your box. Settings System Information Network Info. Open a cmd window and Ping the address, do you get a return ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In media share on the PVR I can see my laptop even though I have done nothing on it to try to get it to connect????

I have pinged the Humax ip address and got

4 packets sent and 4 received with a return time of 1mS

I'm guessing that's right :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In media share on the PVR I can see my laptop even though I have done nothing on it to try to get it to connect????
    If you have a DLNA server running on the laptop then the DLNA client on the Humax stands a chance of finding it. Which it appears to have done. If you had any shareable media files on the laptop then the Humax should be able to play them. provided they are in a format the Humax understands of course.
    I have pinged the Humax ip address and got

4 packets sent and 4 received with a return time of 1mS

I'm guessing that's right :D
    If the Humax is connected to the network correctly then that is exactly what you want to see happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check in the control panel (Network and sharing centre - Advanced settings) that media sharing is on and the options allow the device.

Next, verify the folder that contains the files had been added to WMP's video library and lastly that the content is something that a DLNA client can understand like MPEG-2 (.MPG).

Lastly ensure any firewall software allows access to the local LAN..
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need Windows7 and WMP12 to act as a DLNA server, WMP11 on Vista wont do the job, but Serviio should work just fine.

I use it and have no problems seeing content on my PC from my HB1000S box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the helps,

Streaming works fine from a Win8 laptop. Guess I#ll stick to the WDTV live for now.