Options

EE: Linda Henry's annual break

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Get a grip

I'm gripped quite fine thanks.

I was merely stating my views on it, that lengthy breaks spoil my enjoyment and i don't see why these actors should get them when people in the real world don't.

Not everybody has to agree and many clearly don't - fair enough, i'm not stressing about that.

If you don't agree, just say so - no need to be insulting, implying I'm hysterical when I'm not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    This is true. And with Phil, they just bung him in prison every year.:D

Which i also dislike.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I've also had to approve holiday and everywhere i've worked it has been made clear by HR, even to the extent of being in the company handbook, that the only exception to more that 14 consecutive days was once in a lifetime events such as marriage and honeymoons where you'd need a day or so before the wedding and then the time for flights for an exotic wedding. Other than that, you'd have to apply for a sabbatical which you couldn't do unless you'd been with the company for over 5 years and it would be limited to once every 10 years and dependent on your role.

Basically, their belief is that anything more than 2 weeks would involve hiring agency staff to cover the role which is an expense to the company or the work wouldn't get done which would also cost the company money.

One of my best friends who worked with me is Australian. She has always had to visit family over xmas to make use of the bank holidays to get round the maximum 10 days rule and even then, they are very sniffy about her in effect being away for 3 weeks. When she's had to go back for funerals, she's only been allowed 2 weeks so had to only be out there for 10 days.

There are also very strict rules about how many people can be off at one time to ensure cover of work - different you'd think but when you get the situation of a lot of main characters going missing at the same time due to panto season, i do think it has some relevance here.

Everywhere is different of course and maybe it's just the industries i've been in (Advertising, PR, Poublishing and a brief spell in Industry) but i've worked for about 15 different companies over 25 years (had a spell as a contractor) and they have all been the same.

Goodness.

I think it depends on how many staff you have. I could afford to have two away on hols at any one time and still cover without any problem. Sickness and maternity were the things that gave me headaches, because they came on top of the holidays and training courses. And of course you can't plan those things in advance.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the obsession with Linda's annual holiday a bit weird.

She can't win first people are sick of her on screen then she dares to take some holiday and people are outraged.

That pretty much sums up DS.:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. All of the actors are entitled to their holiday entitlement breaks but Linda is allowed to have a big break and it's her decision. I have noticed many people saying that Shirley is "overused" because she is at the top of the episode appearance count but when Shirley leaves Walford for 2 months, she will drop down in the episode appearance count. When characters aren't appearing for weeks, I think the actors are on "holiday leave". Linda probably wants to go abroad and spend time with her family and I think she has family abroad? I will miss Shirley when she leaves the show temporarily but at least she's not leaving for good :)

Agreed, the count isn't indicative of how much screentime a character has had, also I think Carol is joint top with Shirley though I don't believe either have been overused. However Shirley will drop significantly due to LH's break.

I think so, I think I read that her husband is Greek so visiting family abroad would make sense.

Same, I will too and am also glad it is just holiday leave and not permanent, great actress and great character, IMO.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which i also dislike.

They probably ought to think of something new to accommodate Steve McF's panto break. Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    They probably ought to think of something new to accommodate Steve McF's panto break. Lol.

It's a tradition now that Phil gets falsely accused of a crime just after Christmas every year...maybe he's the next one who'll be accused of Lucy's murder.;-)

At least Shirley's exits are in character...when the going get's tough Shirley always does a runner.:D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be annoying having an actor take time off to do panto every single year. It means Phil can't be used at xmas and new year at all. They should call Steve's bluff at some point. It's not as if EE doesn't pay him enough for him to feel the need to do panto.
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gripped quite fine thanks.

I was merely stating my views on it, that lengthy breaks spoil my enjoyment and i don't see why these actors should get them when people in the real world don't.

Not everybody has to agree and many clearly don't - fair enough, i'm not stressing about that.

If you don't agree, just say so - no need to be insulting, implying I'm hysterical when I'm not.

I just think a bit of perspective is needed. You may think actors taking lengthy breaks spoils your enjoyment of the show but when an employed actor decides to take leave has absolutely nothing to do with you.
    You may think it unfair that you can only take 14 days leave max in one go but that's life. Every profession is different and acting is notorious for having long spells where people are unemployed and between jobs. It's swings and roundabouts. Just because an actor is providing an entertainment service to the public doesn't mean the public have a right to have an opinion on when they go on holiday. How would you like it if linda Henry questioned your annual leave?
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to Patsy Palmer she was on maternity leave the first time and the second I believe she has a miscarriage.

Ronnie disappeared for large periods through out 2014 and 2015 and barely appeared, although SW said that was down to storyline decisions on why she didn't appear on screen for near 5 months so who knows.

I can see why it does irk some people, when big named actors disappear for around 2-3 months normally autumn/winter time doing panto or whatever, means the soap is left filing up January/February full of filler stories/episodes, it means there left having to come up with stupid cover stories and is normally a really two low months for EE.

However it's the actors decision and it's up to the bosses who granted it, if they want to do it then there entitled to that.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how many of you seem to be obsessed with certain soap stars and their business. What's it got to do with you and why do you even care? Jesus... :)
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    To be fair to Patsy Palmer she was on maternity leave the first time and the second I believe she has a miscarriage.

Ronnie disappeared for large periods through out 2014 and 2015 and barely appeared, although SW said that was down to storyline decisions on why she didn't appear on screen for near 5 months so who knows.

I can see why it does irk some people, when big named actors disappear for around 2-3 months normally autumn/winter time doing panto or whatever, means the soap is left filing up January/February full of filler stories/episodes, it means there left having to come up with stupid cover stories and is normally a really two low months for EE.

However it's the actors decision and it's up to the bosses who granted it, if they want to do it then there entitled to that.

Why should it irk people? They are entitled to holidays, and well eastenders has loads of other cast members too. Madness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should it irk people? They are entitled to holidays, and well eastenders has loads of other cast members too. Madness

Of course they entitled too, that's what I said and why I do not care myself what they do, I can see some people's point of view on the subject on how it affects the show, that is all.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how many of you seem to be obsessed with certain soap stars and their business. What's it got to do with you and why do you even care? Jesus... :)

He took 40 days and nights off too! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Harlowe;79630827]To be fair to Patsy Palmer she was on maternity leave the first time and the second I believe she has a miscarriage.

However it's the actors decision and it's up to the bosses who granted it, if they want to do it then there entitled to that.[/QUOTE]

She had three breaks

One was for maternity leave.

Second was to spend time with her kids during the summer and the start of the school year. This led to Bianca going back to prison for six months

Third was the same as above. Bianca was written out for a few months when she went back to manchester to finish off her fashion course. While there, she met and fell in love with Terry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just think a bit of perspective is needed. You may think actors taking lengthy breaks spoils your enjoyment of the show but when an employed actor decides to take leave has absolutely nothing to do with you.
    You may think it unfair that you can only take 14 days leave max in one go but that's life. Every profession is different and acting is notorious for having long spells where people are unemployed and between jobs. It's swings and roundabouts. Just because an actor is providing an entertainment service to the public doesn't mean the public have a right to have an opinion on when they go on holiday. How would you like it if linda Henry questioned your annual leave?

If she wasn't paid (one of the things i've had to do in the past as my job is pay Artistes fees) because my work wasn't being covered because i'd had too long a break in one go I'd think she'd have every right to.

Now of course, this isn't my salary being affected, but it is a small part of my enjoyment in my leisure time.

Nobody's annual leave is anybody else's business unless it has an adverse effect on them in some way.

I am entitled to voice an opinion if i feel that the product that I watch is being damaged.

I don't, by the way, blame Linda Henry, or any of the other actors involved. If they are permitted to do this, then good for them. I suspect most would if they could.

My argument is more with the producers that agree to it and then don't come up with better ways to accommodate it within the fiction of the show.

Of course that's life, I'm not a child and know that life isn't fair or equal. Also, that my profession has benefits that something like acting doesn't.
    That isn't really the primary issue for me - i just bring it up when people use the "they are entitled to annual leave like everybody else' argument.

It is, whether it damages the product. For me, it does.

Re perspective, no, it's not a big deal. It's just a television show - it's not as though I lie awake seething about it. I have much more important things to concern myself with. But, when it s being discussed in a thread then i feel i have a right to voice my opinion and reasons for holding that opinion.

Others, as i've said, have every right to disagree.

ETA". Of course actors have a right to decide along with their bosses how their leave works and don't have a any kind of 'duty' to the viewers over it. It is their lives. But, if somebody's job is in the public eye, then it will be commented on and they must realise that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one's obsessed.

But then it's no different than the people who make a living writing stuff about whether Beyonce's marriage is on the rocks or whether Gaga's recent outfit was good or bad. It's none of their business what Beyonce or Gaga get up to. It's also none of people's business when certain storylines happen, certain actors cast, certain characters who leave and many things in general that happen in soaps. But this is a forum and we are free to discuss what we choose. No one is being nasty and no one is going against the rules. If there is something someone is talking about that you don't agree, there is an easy solution of simply ignoring it and letting people get on with it. I do it nearly every day on here. Instead of going on that thread and moaning about what people are discussing. You are entitled to your own opinion but it's not as if you were forced to come in here and be subjected to see what we were talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she wasn't paid (one of the things i've had to do in the past as my job is pay Artistes fees) because my work wasn't being covered because i'd had too long a break in one go I'd think she'd have every right to.

Now of course, this isn't my salary being affected, but it is a small part of my enjoyment in my leisure time.

Nobody's annual leave is anybody else's business unless it has an adverse effect on them in some way.

I am entitled to voice an opinion if i feel that the product that I watch is being damaged.

I don't, by the way, blame Linda Henry, or any of the other actors involved. If they are permitted to do this, then good for them. I suspect most would if they could.

My argument is more with the producers that agree to it and then don't come up with better ways to accommodate it within the fiction of the show.

Of course that's life, I'm not a child and know that life isn't fair or equal. Also, that my profession has benefits that something like acting doesn't.
    That isn't really the primary issue for me - i just bring it up when people use the "they are entitled to annual leave like everybody else' argument.

Re perspective, no, it's not a big deal. It's just a television show - it's not as though I lie awake seething about it. I have much more important things to concern myself with. But, when it s being discussed in a thread then i feel i have a right to voice my opinion and reasons for holding that opinion.

ETA". Of course actors have a right to decide along with their bosses how their leave works and don't have a any kind of 'duty' to the viewers over it. It is their lives. But, if somebody's job is in the public eye, then it will be commented on and they must realise that.

You should of felt no need to defend and explain yourself at all. I don't see an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    He took 40 days and nights off too! :p

On the other hand he didn't live to enjoy his retirement.:(:D
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It does affect the credibility of the stories when certain characters disappear at the same time every year for a variety of reasons. The ones that do take long breaks for whatever reason ie panto seem to be the actors with more clout and TPTB don't want to lose them so let them take very long breaks. I'm not bothered about certain characters being away but I have missed The Carters when they weren't around for a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Goodness.

I think it depends on how many staff you have. I could afford to have two away on hols at any one time and still cover without any problem. Sickness and maternity were the things that gave me headaches, because they came on top of the holidays and training courses. And of course you can't plan those things in advance.

Indeed, it does depend on staff.

Sickness was one of the reasons there used to be a limit on the number of people allowed holiday at the same time. Basically, the department should be able to run for a couple of weeks 2 or 3 down, but if 3 were on holiday and then a fourth called in sick then the work wouldn't get done no matter how many hours the people that were in worked - and that would be without pay by the way as there was no paid overtime. Therefore, there needed to be a contingencyin case somebody was sick, which as you say can't be predicted.

However, veering off topic and of course that is very different to a soap where generally a characters lines can't just be given to somebody else so there isn't 'cover' in the same way. In the case of sickness they'd just have to delay filming the scenes to another day and it must be a nightmare both logistically and financially.

Your point about Shirley's disappearances being in character as she always runs when in trouble is very valid, to be fair and as such, more believable than things like Alfie going to Australia for a month when any money he would have made would have been used up by the air fare.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ha! Very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't mention the licence fee, paying their wages, people go mad about that, subject! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Don't mention the licence fee, paying their wages, people go mad about that, subject! :D

Oh, i didn't mean it that way, wasn't referring to the license fee.

What i meant is, as part of my job, i have been responsible for actually paying actors appearance and repeat fees (via their Agents) for adverts they appear in - therefore if I'm off and not covered, they don't get what is in effect their salary.

So, my being absent for a prolonged period of time would have an effect on their lives, therefore they would have a right to question whether it should have been allowed.

As an aside, Equity would have had a case to sue the Ad Agency i worked for, hence costing the company money.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meh, we all have a cross to bear! :D