Telegraph — More to come?

2»

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. And they tried so hard that even a non news like Alexander is dragged through mud for not doing anything wrong with his supposed CGT fiasco.:rolleyes:

Wasn't it the Daily Mail that went for Alexander?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the liberals, as it always has been is their 'holier than thou' approach which was clearly nonsense but it got a lot of idealistic students on board. Of course when you have to implement policy or have your private life under scrutiny things change. I do however think it's more than a tad unfortunate one of top stars of Parliament had to depart the scene over something that could have been sorted ages ago if he was in the tory/lab party.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Wasn't it the Daily Mail that went for Alexander?

No. DM tried to jump into the bangwagon and went for his WIFE. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onenation wrote: »
    They've barely set foot in the door yet, labour had years of honeymoon.

That may or may not be true but so what? The Tories seem to have no thought out strategy to deal with a hostile press and no-one with the balls to implement it.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you serious, Peter9999? They are barely one month into their job! Where's the time to do 'press engineering'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. DM tried to jump into the bangwagon and went for his WIFE. :D

You're right.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you serious, Peter9999? They are barely one month into their job! Where's the time to do 'press engineering'?

If I knew what "press engineering" was I could respond.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onenation wrote: »
    The problem with the liberals, as it always has been is their 'holier than thou' approach which was clearly nonsense but it got a lot of idealistic students on board. Of course when you have to implement policy or have your private life under scrutiny things change. I do however think it's more than a tad unfortunate one of top stars of Parliament had to depart the scene over something that could have been sorted ages ago if he was in the tory/lab party.

I think the Telegraph's way of going about this is having a serious negative effect on Parliament which is not good for politics or the country. If they have evidence of wrongdoing, let them bring it out, bring down the relevant politicians' careers and then shut up about it! It's this petty, piecemeal, keeping us all waiting for further revelations which distorts how we perceive the politicians which is doing harm.

There must be quite a few MPs who are wondering whether something in their past will come to light or be reported in a particular way which makes them seem worse than they are, but carry on hoping it doesn't happen.

I'd like to see a complete declaration by the Telegraph for the good of us all. Maybe a court order demanding disclosure of all information, with a chance to publish it in a short period so they do get the benefit but not the power of holding back and drip-feeding juicy snippets to publish at the most damaging time, not just for the individual but for smooth running of the country. They may use the threat of revelations to influence MPs or be selective about who to bring down which worries me too. The Telegraph is acting like gutter press.

I don't want the rogues protected, I want to flush them out! Let's have a flurry of by-elections and get on with government!
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter9999 wrote: »
    Good point.

Furthermore, the Tories are not used to having to deal with a hostile press and they don't appear to know how to react.

Cameron and Osborne may not be used to a hostile press but I'm sure there are lots of Tory MPs from the cabinet and the back benches who are and who will be able to advise them ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I think the Telegraph's way of going about this is having a serious negative effect on Parliament which is not good for politics or the country. If they have evidence of wrongdoing, let them bring it out, bring down the relevant politicians' careers and then shut up about it! It's this petty, piecemeal, keeping us all waiting for further revelations which distorts how we perceive the politicians which is doing harm.

There must be quite a few MPs who are wondering whether something in their past will come to light or be reported in a particular way which makes them seem worse than they are, but carry on hoping it doesn't happen.

I'd like to see a complete declaration by the Telegraph for the good of us all. Maybe a court order demanding disclosure of all information, with a chance to publish it in a short period so they do get the benefit but not the power of holding back and drip-feeding juicy snippets to publish at the most damaging time, not just for the individual but for smooth running of the country. They may use the threat of revelations to influence MPs or be selective about who to bring down which worries me too. The Telegraph is acting like gutter press.

I don't want the rogues protected, I want to flush them out! Let's have a flurry of by-elections and get on with government!

The did bring it out and good for them. Hence our cynicism of all MPs expense claims and the new system in place to monitor them which would never have happened if not for The Telegraph..

They can publish what they like when they like as far as I am concerned - as long as they publish facts about people whose duty is to serve us and govern.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tories have been to this dance more than once........they know exactly what to expect.
  • AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    The did bring it out and good for them. Hence our cynicism of all MPs expense claims and the new system in place to monitor them which would never have happened if not for The Telegraph..

They can publish what they like when they like as far as I am concerned - as long as they publish facts about people whose duty is to serve us and govern.

If it is in the public interest to publish (which I think it was last year) then they should all have been published before the election when we had the chance to do something about it.

Drip feeding a year or more later at the most damaging times to destabilise the government when the country is in a mess is not in the public interest.

Especially in situation like Alexander where there is no wrongdoing anyway. It becomes harassment at that stage.
  • Highland RubyHighland Ruby Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    AhlS wrote: »

Especially in situation like Alexander where there is no wrongdoing anyway. It becomes harassment at that stage.

The harassment is only going to get worse. The Mail on Sunday were phoning my work today to try and get hold of Danny's father. The journalist had travelled all the way to Inverness only to find he didn't live there at the moment and was hell bent on getting contact details. Quite unpleasant apparently. So I would definitely expect more "dirt" in this weeks MoS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AhlS wrote: »
    If it is in the public interest to publish (which I think it was last year) then they should all have been published before the election when we had the chance to do something about it.

Drip feeding a year or more later at the most damaging times to destabilise the government when the country is in a mess is not in the public interest.

They were - in full - everybody's.

And something was done about it.

They changed the rules and set up a new supervisory body.

It's all on the UK Parliament site.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were - in full - everybody's.

And something was done about it.

They changed the rules and set up a new supervisory body.

It's all on the UK Parliament site.
    So what's this thread for? does the Telegraph have more ammunition, or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, I am getting sick of all these Telegraphs revealations period. For a paper who claimed it was acting in the ''national interest'' when it revealed all of the MPs Expenses a year ago, they have been sitting of information for sometime now instead of acting in the ''national interest'' and telling us that information at the time. We know Barclary & Barclary care more about the ££££££ then the ''national interest''.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    QUOTE=PrincessPerfect;40656989]TBH, I am getting sick of all these Telegraphs revealations period. For a paper who claimed it was acting in the ''national interest'' when it revealed all of the MPs Expenses a year ago, they have been sitting of information for sometime now instead of acting in the ''national interest'' and telling us that information at the time. We know Barclary & Barclary care more about the ££££££ then the ''national interest''.
    [/QUOTE]

Name your source ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    So what's this thread for? does the Telegraph have more ammunition, or not?

I have no idea what the Telgraph has and neither does anyone else apart from senior staff at the Telegraph.

I was referring to all the details of all the MPs expnses published last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH, I am getting sick of all these Telegraphs revealations period. For a paper who claimed it was acting in the ''national interest'' when it revealed all of the MPs Expenses a year ago, they have been sitting of information for sometime now instead of acting in the ''national interest'' and telling us that information at the time. We know Barclary & Barclary care more about the ££££££ then the ''national interest''.

They haven't been sitting on Alexander's expense claims - they were publsihed in full last year. What he claims during this year will be published on a monthly basis by the Parliementary body responsible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what the Telgraph has and neither does anyone else apart from senior staff at the Telegraph.

I was referring to all the details of all the MPs expnses published last year.

How lucky the coalion will be if it's only major "enemy" is the Daily Telegraph.