Media spin on racial incident in U.S.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently, the media has been spinning some facts that are not actually facts in the Trayvon's case.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/trayvon-martin-shooting-details-emerge-facebook-twitter-accounts-180103647.html

I am not sure we should be judging the victim but this came out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120504/Trayvon-Martin-case-He-suspended-times-caught-burglary-tool.html

George has a side too, why are some media outlets not willing to hear it?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-26/news/os-trayvon-martin-zimmerman-account-20120326_1_miami-schools-punch-unarmed-black-teenager

I think it's shameful Obama uses this for political gain. Where is he when black teens kill other black teens?

http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104707&article=9954327&sa=U&ei=7NdxT-jNDOfu0gHp7JnaAQ&ved=0CCIQqQIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFB2yrf6KGVLmVFv7gOZ_817Dw1AA

The New York Times describes Zimmerman as a "white hispanic" why do they do that? Was this even about race?

Comments

• JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    The USA seems to be more politically correct than even the UK.
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media spin on this has been disgusting. They are portraying Martin as a small boy skipping home from the shop with a bag of sweets and a bottle of iced TV. In reality he was a 17 year old gold-toothed "gangsta" (or wannabe "gangsta") with a rap sheet a yard long. I just hope the truth gets out there and people realise that the media is lying to them.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Iced TV"?
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Trayvon's"?
  • upintheairupintheair Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    "Iced TV"?

Yes, its was a lie that the TV was invented in the early 1900s.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Wonder why the media aren't going overboard with the James Cooper and James Kouzaris case which is currently in the Floridian courts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The facts are that Zimmerman shot a 17-year-old dead and wasn't even questioned by the police. I don't think the US posters on DS are showering themselves in glory with their anxiousness to sweep this under the carpet and claim Martin wasn't "as innocent as he seemed" and that it's definitely nothing to do with race, oh no, Zimmerman would have shot a white kid too...
  • LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    The media spin on this has been disgusting. They are portraying Martin as a small boy skipping home from the shop with a bag of sweets and a bottle of iced TV. In reality he was a 17 year old gold-toothed "gangsta" (or wannabe "gangsta") with a rap sheet a yard long. I just hope the truth gets out there and people realise that the media is lying to them.

"Rap sheet" a yard long? Hardly.

To what extent they are "lying" is questionable.

Right wing sources brush away Zimmermans dubious past and focus on the negative aspects of Martins character, left wing do the opposite.

It's not lies really, it's just what we have come to expect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Wonder why the media aren't going overboard with the James Cooper and James Kouzaris case which is currently in the Floridian courts?
    Maybe because it's...in the Floridian courts, which the Martin case wasn't until the media started making a fuss?

Edit: Actually, even now it's an FBI investigation, which isn't really "in the courts".
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »

Erm- perhaps BECAUSE it's in the courts? The big deal about this one is the perception, whether right or wrong, that the correct procedure hasn't been followed.

There is no such doubt in the other case.

EDIT- oops! pickwick got in there first.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Maybe because it's...in the Floridian courts, which the Martin case wasn't until the media started making a fuss?

Edit: Actually, even now it's an FBI investigation, which isn't really "in the courts".

The FBI isn't magic or a dictator, if the state attorney's couldn't manage to find a crime to charge him with, what could the Fed's possibly do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI isn't magic or a dictator, if the state attorney's couldn't manage to find a crime to charge him with, what could the Fed's possibly do?
    If the state attorneys can't manage to find a crime when someone shoots someone else dead in the street, America's f*cked.

Of course, it helps if you LOOK for a crime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the state attorneys can't manage to find a crime when someone shoots someone else dead in the street, America's f*cked.

Of course, it helps if you LOOK for a crime.

I'm no expert but self defense is law here. And while I haven't the first clue about "stand your ground" the expert's in Florida do and they can't seem to put the pieces together to make his actions fit into a chargeable offense. You can't just make up law's to satisfy media induced hysteria and the accompanying bloodlust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That last link has to be the most contrived thing I've ever seen.
    Forum Member
    I'm no expert but self defense is law here. And while I haven't the first clue about "stand your ground" the expert's in Florida do and they can't seem to put the pieces together to make his actions fit into a chargeable offense. You can't just make up law's to satisfy media induced hysteria and the accompanying bloodlust.

The question is how hard they tried. I also don't know anything about the stand your ground law, except the fact that it should certainly be under review if they genuinely couldn't find any reason to keep investigating this case.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The facts are that Zimmerman shot a 17-year-old dead and wasn't even questioned by the police. I don't think the US posters on DS are showering themselves in glory with their anxiousness to sweep this under the carpet and claim Martin wasn't "as innocent as he seemed" and that it's definitely nothing to do with race, oh no, Zimmerman would have shot a white kid too...

Why don't you name names instead of making generalizations, because I have done no such thing. I questioned the handling of this case from the start, and I have yet to change my stance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    This video may be of interest of some people

Geraldo Rivera basically saying it was Trayvon Martin's own fault for wearing a hoodie.

He has since apologised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liloleme wrote: »
    The question is how hard they tried. I also don't know anything about the stand your ground law, except the fact that it should certainly be under review if they genuinely couldn't find any reason to keep investigating this case.

I'm no fan of the cops, but I don't think they "slack" off on any investigation. Unless there is real hard evidence to show they were busy getting donuts, sleeping, or purposefully acted negligently in carrying out the investigation to their department's guidelines, I don't think you or anyone can say the police weren't trying "hard" enough to find evidence.
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of the cops, but I don't think they "slack" off on any investigation. Unless there is real hard evidence to show they were busy getting donuts, sleeping, or purposefully acted negligently in carrying out the investigation to their department's guidelines, I don't think you or anyone can say the police weren't trying "hard" enough to find evidence.

They may well have tried but to simply accept that they did a good job, there by putting them above repute, is rather naive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liloleme wrote: »
    They may well have tried but to simply accept that they did a good job, there by putting them above repute, is rather naive.

To assume the opposite means our entire system of law enforcement and justice is effed. Call me naive or an optimist I guess.
    Forum Member
    To assume the opposite means our entire system of law enforcement and justice is effed. Call me naive or an optimist I guess.

I don't always assume the UK police do a bad job but I don't assume they always do a good one either. There is good and bad there, like in most professions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Why don't you name names instead of making generalizations, because I have done no such thing. I questioned the handling of this case from the start, and I have yet to change my stance.
    Sorry, you're right of course! The ones who are talking about being American and how the laws and the cops must be right and racism is exaggerated - PlatinumSteve, TxBelle, Leanna, BrooklynBoy.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you know better than that. No one is wanting to sweep it under the carpet. But, you were not there and neither was I. I want justice to be served whichever way it goes but justice is never in the court of public opinion.
    Forum Member
    TxBelle wrote: »
    I think you know better than that. No one is wanting to sweep it under the carpet. But, you were not there and neither was I. I want justice to be served whichever way it goes but justice is never in the court of public opinion.

Again good point, sadly though it seems this case would never have had a full investigation without public outcry.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, you're right of course! The ones who are talking about being American and how the laws and the cops must be right and racism is exaggerated - PlatinumSteve, TxBelle, Leanna, BrooklynBoy.

Obivously you've not read a word I have written.:rolleyes: