Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the City Slickers episode that we are currently up to, DM asks Sam Oakwood's parents whether he has been "jabbed" for TB. And Anthony Oakwood says something like, oh yes, we definitely would inject him with a poisonous substance.

Is there in fact an inoculation for TB?
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    In the City Slickers episode that we are currently up to, DM asks Sam Oakwood's parents whether he has been "jabbed" for TB. And Anthony Oakwood says something like, oh yes, we definitely would inject him with a poisonous substance.

Is there in fact an inoculation for TB?

Here's some info:

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/tuberculosis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thanks, Connie. I know that I never heard of it when my kids were little and also that when I worked in a hospital more recently, I was tested for TB and inoculated for Hep B (or C?) but nobody ever mentioned TB vaccine for me. Yet another cultural difference between UK and US it seems.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I don't think this forum is for a back and forth on this subject. Let's keep it to something we agree on which is the enjoyment we derive from DM

That's fine, Lemster, but, please, in the future, it would be nice to not criticize in a vague manner first, and then suggest we move on.

However, I agree that moving on is best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “The anger when the wedding didn’t happen on the various forums. . .I had to get Jack Lothian to write a nice happy ending to the fourth series. And the same with this (the 5th) series.”

“What’s really fun about Ruth is that she’s like the Doc – she’s an Ellingham. She hates the dog, too. She keeps trying to give him back the dog.”

“I was sulking a bit when it was announced that the next series of Doc Martin would be the last, and said it would be a shame if the only thing I did for ITV between then was a documentary or two.”

Asked if he’s as grumpy as DM: “If people are annoying, then I get annoyed. But I have a sunny disposition. I’ll go around trying to make everyone like me, unless they don’t deserve to like me. Or if they let it be known that they don’t like me, well what can I do with that? I can’t work with that. . .If you work in the theatre, you walk on stage and you think, at least three people can’t stand me in this room. . .You end up playing to them just out of spite – you’ve got two hours of this, mate. Next time she says we’re going to the theatre, just say no.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I had the most wonderful dream last night - with Martin Clunes! Somehow I was part of MC group, and we all climbed into a car. I got into the backseat, and Martin (I feel like we're on a first name basis now) got into the front seat. For some reason he reached his hand around to the backseat, and touched my leg! :eek: He touched my leg! :D. I'm never, ever, going to wash my leg again. :):p:D
    Btw, I'm so glad I had shaved my legs. ;)

Hm, maybe I should shave my legs and then think Martin Ellingham thoughts as I fall asleep tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Also, we discussed the interesting interaction of LG and DM as they stood together after Mrs. T was taken away with Penhale and AR, and they were alone. The camera shots are interesting with DM towering over her. We realized that in that brief interaction LG is acting more like a child, insecure, looking down a lot, and asking for him to say he loves her over and over. That goes way back to LG's main issue, which her mother referred to earlier, that LG was going to be abandoned with her mom and DM leaving. And, we've discussed on this list that LG has, perhaps, a deep abandonment issue, which is understandable given her childhood.

In this scene she is like a child finally being convinced she is not going to be abandoned by someone she loves.

DM, meanwhile, towering over her, strong, solid, steady in this scene is the Man who always wanted to have a family to take care of. Here he is being that strong, towering male figure, ready to take care of LG, and love her, and their baby. The camera work really magnifies that.

So, both of them in that scene are shown to be finally getting the dreams they both needed since childhood--LG the love that won't abandon her, and DM, the wife and child he always wanted to care for.

Very cool!

Thanks for posting this, Mona. You put into orderly words some of the things we talked about when rewatching this wonderful episode.

I know we leaped out of order in the rewatch (today I rewatched the "correct" episode & will post some comments shortly), but that conclusion to S5 is such a beautiful, emotional, feel-good ep, it's always good to watch it again.

I think there's been discussion here previously about the brilliant choreography of so many scenes in Doc Martin. That scene after Mrs. T had been taken away, with Martin standing calmly facing Louisa, the sea in the background, with her looking somewhat childlike, was obviously well thought out. He does tower over her. Despite what he said to her via Mrs T, she's obviously still feeling vulnerable and unsure. Her mother has even touched on her abandonment issues earlier in the episode (and, as Mona said, Eleanor should certainly know!). Now Louisa needs, more than ever before, reassurance from Martin. Amazingly, he calmly and quietly tells her his feelings. No goofy, "You look busy", or "I look forward to it", or "urine-like" perfume, or silly stalking comments. He's really got it together now. We can only hope this lasts in some form or another.

It occurred to me while we watched that DM is always set in the often sunny and warm spring and summer. If they were to begin S6 immediately after this S5 conclusion, surely we'd end up moving into fall and early winter. I therefore expect there to be a skip in time to get us back to their prime season, spring or summer. I wonder if we'll see a wedding in flashback, or if a period of months goes by before it happens.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Connie. I know that I never heard of it when my kids were little and also that when I worked in a hospital more recently, I was tested for TB and inoculated for Hep B (or C?) but nobody ever mentioned TB vaccine for me. Yet another cultural difference between UK and US it seems.

I remember getting what I think was a TB vaccination back in the early 1970s or so. I must have been in my late teens/early twenties. The reason I remember it so well is that it was the only time I have ever fainted in my life. I was in the doctor's office and I remember it being a bunch of little pokes on the inside of my forearm. Don't know why, but shortly after the nurse left the room they were picking me up off the floor.

Maybe it wasn't a TB vaccine but a TB test?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched City Slickers.

Clearly, no one on that show knows anything about us elderly people. Mrs. Averill looks 85, maybe 90 -- certainly not 75! That's just preposterous.

Love the scene where DM stops by the school to tell Louisa about the possibility of TB and she says you could have just called me -- I think he actually smiles a little but it goes out of frame so quickly I can't tell. He does seem a bit flirtatious at that moment, as does she. Very cute.

Anthony Oakwood is even more obnoxious than I remembered.

Eileen Essell who played Mrs Averill was born in 1922 so she is 90 now. Don't know why they would try and pass her off as 75???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched City Slickers.

Clearly, no one on that show knows anything about us elderly people. Mrs. Averill looks 85, maybe 90 -- certainly not 75! That's just preposterous.

Love the scene where DM stops by the school to tell Louisa about the possibility of TB and she says you could have just called me -- I think he actually smiles a little but it goes out of frame so quickly I can't tell. He does seem a bit flirtatious at that moment, as does she. Very cute.

Anthony Oakwood is even more obnoxious than I remembered.

I agree with you 100% about Mrs. Averill. There's nothing about her that looks 75. The way she walks, the way she dresses, her hair, everything about her screams at least 85, if not more. This is one of my few complaints about this episode. In fact, I do love the Mrs. Averill character. She's a hoot.

What's with that cigarette tin thing she has in her bag, by the way? Are there cigarettes sold in the UK in a metal tin that looks almost like it should hold something medical, lozenges or something? I don't remember seeing anything like this from my brief time in England. Could someone fill me in?

About the Oakwoods, I do want to say that those two actors did so well portraying completely irritating people. In fact, among Shop Girl's cool DM photos at flickr, there's Anthony Oakwood, literally looking irritating.

Whenever I watch this ep, I find myself talking to the screen, urging Louisa to just hand them the corkscrew through the door. Don't let 'em in, Louisa! But once it's done, it's done, and in some ways I can understand her inability to kick them out. She's just not the type, and the Oakwoods are so overbearing and worm themselves in, even going so far as to suggest that Louisa wants them all to eat together.

I love Doc chasing Sam through the narrow paths and alleyways, ending at the badger-burning scene. LG and DM standing united as they try to inform the Oakwoods that it's their duty to teach their child right from wrong -- well, that's just a great scene. We find out in subsequent series how significant it was.

There are several other pleasing lines and scenes. I always enjoy that "driving too close to the hedge" business, especially when AJ throws it back at DM. I always laugh in the slap-cheek scene when DM suggests someone might have kissed or licked Elliott. LG's reaction to the "licked" line, cocking her head at DM, is hilarious.

New Park, yes, when Martin actually comes to the school to talk to Louisa about TB when he could have simply called is fun and rare. For once, he's taking the initiative, obviously not just "passing", and sitting down on a child's desk as though he's ready to just pass some time with Louisa. He does seem flirtatious in this moment. I love it.

My favorite line from the episode: "Just don't come running to me when you die." :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I remember getting what I think was a TB vaccination back in the early 1970s or so. I must have been in my late teens/early twenties. The reason I remember it so well is that it was the only time I have ever fainted in my life. I was in the doctor's office and I remember it being a bunch of little pokes on the inside of my forearm. Don't know why, but shortly after the nurse left the room they were picking me up off the floor.

Should we call you Morwenna?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Eileen Essell who played Mrs Averill was born in 1922 so she is 90 now. Don't know why they would try and pass her off as 75???

Well, there you go. Maybe the script called for a 75 year old patient and, when they ended up hiring an older actress, they didn't change it. Seems odd though. They're usually so careful about things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    Google Maps has a new feature allowing to "drive" from place to place with street view.

Here's your chance to tour Port Isaac on the cheap.

http://www.brianfolts.com/driver/#start=4%20roscarrock%20hill%2C%20port%20isaac&end=11%20fore%20street%20port%20isaac

That's cool. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

I checked back in my medical records I still have of my children even though they have long since flew the nest, and I have a record of one of my daughters who in early 1980's had a TB test and the instructions were to look at right forearm on Monday (few days later than test given) - if skin is red at any of the points to call dr.'s office, so yes, it was a TB test, not a TB vaccine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

“I was sulking a bit when it was announced that the next series of Doc Martin would be the last, and said it would be a shame if the only thing I did for ITV between then was a documentary or two.”

.”

Do you remember when he made the comment above? Was it sometime after S5 screened when he was making a lot of similar comments ? Do you think it means that he is actively contemplating a S7?

I do think that part of his recommissioning deal with ITV was their commitment to casting him in some of their productions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you remember when he made the comment above? Was it sometime after S5 screened when he was making a lot of similar comments ? Do you think it means that he is actively contemplating a S7?

I do think that part of his recommissioning deal with ITV was their commitment to casting him in some of their productions.

Yes, it was after the screening of S5, after he had just landed the two recent roles, but before they were shown. I think you're right about ITV actively agreeing to make MC happy as part of the deal. And why wouldn't they? Also I think the more he stretches himself in roles like this last one in The Town, the greater his chances of getting more offers. I just don't want to see him fading into the sunset as a presenter. We'll see what happens with these next two documentaries coming up. But I thought on balance the manta ray and, certainly, the lemur ones were weaker than the islands, dogs and horses.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hopeful that the series might go on after Series 6 as in the Daybreak interview - August 16, 2012, MC said S6 "would be the last - probably - almost definitely." But then "never say never" again.

And again in the Woman's Weekly interview with Martin Clunes - August 28, 2012, he did say "We're keeping our options open about a seventh series. Never say never." And then he does go on to say they want to keep it fresh, and from becoming a soap opera. So the bets are being hedged.

I do wonder if because series are recommissioned one at a time, it seems, that nobody, not even our wonderful MC, counts their chickens before they are hatched. And I do feel we've seen the drama of "will there be another series" play out before for the other DM series.

And didn't MC reveal there'd be a series 6 a long while before ITV made their official announcement? With it being their production company, is it not possible that they would make a series 6 regardless, especially since the show is such a hit and being shown in so many other countries, that someone would pick it up? I really don't know how all this TV business works but a successful series is worth $$$$ in more ways than one.

But with all that being said, I can also totally understand that at some point both Martin and Philippa might get tired of playing in the DM sandbox. Creative minds ready to move on to new projects, etc. etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was after the screening of S5, after he had just landed the two recent roles, but before they were shown. I think you're right about ITV actively agreeing to make MC happy as part of the deal. And why wouldn't they? Also I think the more he stretches himself in roles like this last one in The Town, the greater his chances of getting more offers. I just don't want to see him fading into the sunset as a presenter. We'll see what happens with these next two documentaries coming up. But I thought on balance the manta ray and, certainly, the lemur ones were weaker than the islands, dogs and horses.

I am reminded of the fact that Men Behaving Badly was cut by ITV after 2 series, and the producer, Beryl Vertue, shopped it to the BBC where it ran for 4 more series, a Christmas episode, and a final short series of 3 eps to wrap it up. It seems as though ITV made a programming error there.

I'm looking forward to the heavy horse doc as a horse lover and because it seems to involve one of his biggest interests. But heaven knows, I'll be watching whatever he's in with interest.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm looking forward to the heavy horse doc as a horse lover and because it seems to involve one of his biggest interests. But heaven knows, I'll be watching whatever he's in with interest.

The heavy horse doc is supposed to air next month on ITV according to MC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

I remember the first time I went to England, while I was in London it was reported there was a very angry man on the roof of his home who had been throwing shingles at the police. Throwing shingles!

I must say I think that you no doubt choose whatever is easiest at hand if you are feeling angry. So if you don't have a gun shingles are a good alternative. :D

For a country with so few guns I think that an alarming number of residents of Portwenn seem to have rifles at the ready and are not afraid to use them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

It occurred to me while we watched that DM is always set in the often sunny and warm spring and summer. If they were to begin S6 immediately after this S5 conclusion, surely we'd end up moving into fall and early winter. I therefore expect there to be a skip in time to get us back to their prime season, spring or summer. I wonder if we'll see a wedding in flashback, or if a period of months goes by before it happens.

What a sacrilege!!! It is ALWAYS (well, nearly always) sunny in Portwenn (at least in DM time).
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    For a country with so few guns I think that an alarming number of residents of Portwenn seem to have rifles at the ready and are not afraid to use them!

Portwenn, like Port Isaac, is in a rural area and many farmers own shotguns for pest control reasons. (In DM "pests" of course, can take various forms!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    In fact, I do love the Mrs. Averill character. She's a hoot.

About the Oakwoods, I do want to say that those two actors did so well portraying completely irritating people. In fact, among Shop Girl's cool DM photos at flickr, there's Anthony Oakwood, literally looking irritating.

Whenever I watch this ep, I find myself talking to the screen, urging Louisa to just hand them the corkscrew through the door. Don't let 'em in, Louisa! But once it's done, it's done, and in some ways I can understand her inability to kick them out. She's just not the type, and the Oakwoods are so overbearing and worm themselves in, even going so far as to suggest that Louisa wants them all to eat together.

I love Doc chasing Sam through the narrow paths and alleyways, ending at the badger-burning scene. LG and DM standing united as they try to inform the Oakwoods that it's their duty to teach their child right from wrong -- well, that's just a great scene. We find out in subsequent series how significant it was.

There are several other pleasing lines and scenes. I always enjoy that "driving too close to the hedge" business, especially when AJ throws it back at DM. I always laugh in the slap-cheek scene when DM suggests someone might have kissed or licked Elliott. LG's reaction to the "licked" line, cocking her head at DM, is hilarious.

New Park, yes, when Martin actually comes to the school to talk to Louisa about TB when he could have simply called is fun and rare. For once, he's taking the initiative, obviously not just "passing", and sitting down on a child's desk as though he's ready to just pass some time with Louisa. He does seem flirtatious in this moment. I love it.

My favorite line from the episode: "Just don't come running to me when you die." :D

Love all this especially the:
    "Enjoy your polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and don't come running to me when you die!!!!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    The heavy horse doc is supposed to air next month on ITV according to MC.

Oh, goodie! I hope we all can look forward to seeing it. Is another Connie magic going to happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Portwenn, like Port Isaac, is in a rural area and many farmers own shotguns for pest control reasons. (In DM "pests" of course, can take various forms!)

Like the local doctor and your neighbour. :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.