Options

Breaking: 'Several injured' in US cinema shooting

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33646707

Appeared on the BBC News site about 5 minutes ago.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guarantee you a white guy with absolutely terrible hair did it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33646707

Appeared on the BBC News site about 5 minutes ago.

Hypnodisc, are you an American member?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc, are you an American member?

No, I'm in the UK. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    KTLA: 2 dead (Including Gunman) Multiple Injured.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more debate about gun crime will ensue, but nothing will change
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No, I'm in the UK. Why do you ask?

Maybe this is more of a concern / breaking news: ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33635962

Although no disrespect to the US victims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Concur !

If we are concerned about US "Breaking News" and gun crime:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33646704
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is it with cinemas...are films just so boring now that people want to start shooting people.....is it the 3D?
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    what is it with cinemas...are films just so boring now that people want to start shooting people.....is it the 3D?

Sadly I think it's the many gathered in confined spaces and fish in a barrel scenario.

Bad times.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

Pretty much. End thread. if Sandy Hook didn't do anything nothing will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The trouble with gun laws are that they are based on a constitutional right and not just a law that they can change more easily. Those are the fundamental rights set up in the making of how the country should be run.

So I think the way to go is education of right-wing republican gun nuts into just way they are obsessed with guns and why they think they are so great - Second thoughts, it would be easier to just try and force a constitutional change rather than try to educate them.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sure you can't stop them having guns, but you could make it the law that they all had to look like this:
    http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50154932/Seahorse_Bubble_Gun.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sure you can't stop them having guns, but you could make it the law that they all had to look like this:
    http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50154932/Seahorse_Bubble_Gun.jpg

Hope you are not planning of traveling through Texas any time soon! :D
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with gun laws are that they are based on a constitutional right and not just a law that they can change more easily. Those are the fundamental rights set up in the making of how the country should be run.

So I think the way to go is education of right-wing republican gun nuts into just way they are obsessed with guns and why they think they are so great - Second thoughts, it would be easier to just try and force a constitutional change rather than try to educate them.

Their constitutional rights are dated and backwards. Changes for the better happen all over the world. It's about time America got with the times, they aren't living in the cowboy days anymore, it's 2015. If they can change the laws on same sex marriage then they can do the same with guns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Their constitutional rights are dated and backwards. Changes for the better happen all over the world. It's about time America got with the times, they aren't living in the cowboy days anymore, it's 2015. If they can change the laws on same sex marriage then they can do the same with guns.

Oh yes, I agree whole heartedly with what you say and it shows how bad things are when they can force the republicans to have gay marriage but don't even think about taking their guns away.

Obama has tried his best and well done for the gay marriage, but it clearly shows what he is up against with not much progress in the gun laws. Not even a first little change of any kind.

You would think that by becoming the President, you would have the power to make change above and beyond anyone else.

The problem is that even if Obama changed the law tomorrow, they would have it thrown out of court by the afternoon as being "Unconstitutional" and so can't be done.

As you say the constitution was drawn up over 200 years ago when they were still under attack from red Indians (Native Americans) and they had muskets. No one needs to defend themselves in that way any more. (Especially if the other person also doesn't have a gun)
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »

A lot of Americans would be willing to go to Civil war over this and if that happens I reckon the side with the guns will win.

Unfortunately nothing will change.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another crazy Yank goes crazy with a gun. Next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, after first writing the first constitution, they brought out some amendments to it (the first 10 of which is the Bill of Rights) so if they could do that back then, why is it wrong not to bring in some new amendments now?

In fact that would be the only way to get anything through: Bring in a Constitutional Amendments Bill to update the constitution and have some things added to the rights as a sweetener (Like the right to free ice cream on Sundays) whilst cutting down or removing the right to bare arms. If they put enough 'sweeteners' in it then hopefully the majority would vote it in against the strong opposition of the NRA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    A lot of Americans would be willing to go to Civil war over this and if that happens I reckon the side with the guns will win.

Unfortunately nothing will change.

Yes but the Presidents side would still have the even bigger guns of the army, if need be.

Still they should still plough ahead with it and not live under threats of what might happen.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well apparently they were showing a Amy Schumer comedy called Train Wreck, so can't see the tin foil hat brigade linking her or the film with this tragedy. So it could just be another day another shooting scenero, something of which will never change over there.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTLA: 2 dead (Including Gunman) Multiple Injured.

Now 2 dead plus the gunman:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33647535

"Police said the attacker was a 58-year-old white male armed with a handgun but did not release any further details."
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same narrative will be told again: white, male, middle-class and mentally ill.

My question is, especially with the younger group - why is there no initiative to identify and tackle the issue of white guys going on shooting sprees?

Though rare, there is a clear pattern.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well apparently they were showing a Amy Schumer comedy called Train Wreck, so can't see the tin foil hat brigade linking her or the film with this tragedy. So it could just be another day another shooting scenero, something of which will never change over there.

Obama did an interview with John Sopal from the BBC yesterday, where he stated that getting nowhere with gun control was his biggest frustration. I suspect that the conspiracy nuts will accuse him of staging it to back up his comments. They'll grasp at anything!
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the USA and visit often but not their obsession with guns. There was a thread not so long ago on a trip advisor Vegas forum where Americans were really concerned that children shouldn't be subjected to the sights of ladies in little shorts and tops but carrying a piece as they call it in full view of children was no problem.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Obama did an interview with John Sopal from the BBC yesterday, where he stated that getting nowhere with gun control was his biggest frustration. I suspect that the conspiracy nuts will accuse him of staging it to back up his comments. They'll grasp at anything!

That's the kind of coincidence that the truthers live for.