Options

The Stephen Gately Condolences and appreciation thread

louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been reading the other thread about Stephen Gately and feel there should be a thread in which to put your condolences on, and also any nice memories you have about Stephen and also about Boyzone.

There are a lot of fans who are hurting, and may not want to read what is being written and discussed in the other thread at the moment. So please use this thread for good memories you have or to say goodbye.

RIP Stephen

Louise x

Comments

• Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Thank you for setting this up loulou. :)
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I feel so sad that you have gone Dear Stephen but I know you are happy in Heaven.

Sleep well Stephen xxx
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rest in Peace ,Stephen ,
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis
  • Options
    minnie1957minnie1957 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    RIP Stephen. May you rest in peace.
    My thoughts are with Andrew and Stephens family and friends.
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you Stephen for 16 years of happy memories and joy. You always put so much effort in to the performances and looked like you were having a blast up on stage with your brothers when I saw you back in June. You will never be forgotten and all the music and videos will continue to bring a smile to my face for many many years to come.

So wherever you are right now, I hope you are at peace and looking down, seeing just how much you are loved.

May your star always shine brightly and your song always be sung. God bless you Stephen xx

My thoughts and prayers are with Andrew, all your family and friends and Mikey, Keith, Ronan and Shane.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Stephen, my condolences to Andrew, your family, Ronan, Mikey, Shane and Keith and anyone who knew him x
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good idea Louloubelle. Wasn't a boyzone fan (I was too old) but Stephen seemed like a lovely young lad. One of the good guys. My condolences to his family and husband. RIP Stephen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen, such a lovely lovely guy...RIP, I know you are going to be one of the brightest stars shinning in the sky looking down on us all.....

To all your family, and to Andrew, Ronan, Shane, Keith, Mikey and all your friends, my thoughts and prayers are with you all xxx

Sleep Well Stephen, thanks for the memories xxx
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    hey guys

i've opened a chat room for the all nighter you can join if you want

http://tinychat.com/boyzoneallnighter
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    swwetdreams stephen
    watching your tour with boyzone at manchester you looked so happy x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P sweet Stephen.My deepest sympathies to your family husband and friends xx
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You always had the sweetest voice with a disposition to match, and the warmest most genuine smile I have ever seen....you're singing with the angels now doll, and they're lucky to have you. Thank you for brightening up my teen years, R.I.P xxx

MY thoughts and prayers are with Stephen's loved ones.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    we got a message to the boyz about the all nighter and they said thankyou bless them :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    May you find everlasting peace young Stephen. In life you made so many people happy and you will not be forgotten by those who like and love you. God bless you.
  • Options
    Julie JJulie J Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for setting this thread up
    R.I.P Stephen and you won't be forgotten
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Stephen. :(

My condolences to husband Andrew, the boyz, Stephen's family, friends and fans everywhere.

Nice idea, OP. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we got a message to the boyz about the all nighter and they said thankyou bless them :cry:

That's lovely :) I'm so glad they know that the fans will be with them tonight. I wish I could stay up with you but I suspect work will be hard enough to concentrate on tomorrow without falling asleep too.
  • Options
    louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its no worries. I'm glad everyone thinks its a good idea.

I couldn't believe the vitrol and downright nastiness in the other thread.

Really no need, especially the night before the funeral.

I posted this last night in the other thread, but I fear it got loss amongst the angst...

RIP Stephen Gately
    I've always been a Boyzone fan.
    I never ever felt embarrased by it either. I may have been a sad "Brit Pop Indie Kid" and my friends may have laughed that despite this fact, I had all of Boyzone's albums and can be found singing along to "Picture Of You".
    I have always liked the sing-along cheesiness aspect to their songs, that I felt the likes of Take That did not really have.

When I heard "No Matter What", I thought what a lovely song for Stephen's voice. He sounded as sweet as all the comments I've heard said about him who had met him.

A few years ago I was blaring this song again from my bedroom (My flatmates despaired of me by this point, and were used to my sporadic "Boyzone" moments" but even they started singing along to it, and the 5 of us in our late 20's- 2 die hard Oasis fans, one punk Rocker, myself and a depressive Smiths fan, had a random loud sing-along to it with harmonies and everything, which I still remember to this day

This past June, my boyfriend, who is not a fan, took me to see Boyzone in concert. We had a massive argument outside, and I nearly ended up missing the concert as he wanted to go home. I wanted to go in and not miss it and my boyfriend said "Its not as if you will never get to see them perform again" He's a bit sheepish today.

Yes Boyzone was my guilty pleasure, and knowing that there will be no more, that kind of guts me. Yes they can carry on, but Stephen was instumental to the group as much as Ronan was.

Thirty-Three years old is absolutely no age to go. He was only 2 years older than me for chrissakes. Someone so full of life, and from what we know, more or less clean living. So many years ahead of him...

Ok, so the passing of Stephen Gately may not be as massive to some as the passing of Micheal Jackson or even in my case, Kurt Cobain (I cried bucket loads and wore black for a week much to the dismay of my mother - I was 15!!!) but it is as important, as a number of people have lost a brother, a friend, a member of their group, that although you may not have been a fan of their music, that band (with Stephen) touched a lot of lives, some as small as a random sing-a-long on the stairs, to all the fans that saw them live, and of course to a family who may have no idea how their loved one was taken from them.

RIP Steven Gately x
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    My first concert was a Boyzone concert I must have been about 12 me and my best friend back then loved them. Stephen was our favourite :) My thoughts are with Andrew, his family, his friends and Boyzone. Instead of flowers Stephen's family have asked for donations to Caudwell Children in just 2 or 3 days they have raised nearly £9000!

http://www.justgiving.com/StephenGately/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    This is such a nice thread and I only wish I could stay up and join in. I will be here in spirit. My message is in a previous post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for starting this louloubelle, its a great idea :)

Your tribute to Stephen has just made me cry again, you sound exactly like me. I've loved Boyzone since I was 11 and even when all my other music was indie and rock (and pretty depressing tbh), I still kept following them. They always seemed so close as a band and had such appreciation for their fans. Their music was always fun and made me feel good. I went to see them in concert last year and I had such a good time. It felt like I was 15 again and I loved seeing how much they enjoyed performing together again. I honestly can't imagine how the band can continue without him now. Not only were his vocals a huge part of their music but they were like brothers, it will never be the same again :( My heart goes out to Andrew, Stephen's family and the rest of the guys. RIP Stephen, you will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan from the begining. Saw the boyz in concert 3 times including this summer. Stephen always looked so happy still can't beleive he's gone. I remember the night they announced on children in need that they were getting back together Stephen was so excited
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member

Im not a Boyzone fan but this is why they are one of the best loved groups. A group of genuine family orientated guys who deeply care about each and everyone.

RIP Stephen, my thoughts and prayers are with Andrew, your family, Boyzone and everyone who knew you.
  • Options
    goldenhatgoldenhat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I am a lot older than most of you lovely people on here, but always loved Stephen, Boyzone are the one band I wanted to see but never did.

The band looked distraught when Ronan read their statement.

My heart goes out to Andrew, Stephen's parents, the boys, and all their fans.

Rest in peace Stephen, we will never forget you.

Lots of love xx
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'm 49 - and have always loved Stephen and Boyzone!
    I'm so sorry he has gone from us.
    Bless him, and his family and friends,
    Love Steve, xxx