Options

Official LOST Season 6 THE FINAL SEASON ON SKY ONE - *No spoilers* (Part 2)

Weeping DreamsWeeping Dreams Posts: 4,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Roll on Wednesday morning when we can get back to good honest old fashioned moaning about how bad the flashes sideways are.:)

Comments

• Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I just thought... you know how Jacob brings people to the island to see if they'll fight and destroy? Does he have to travel off island and laboriously visit various people who will be on the same ship/plane together in the future, at various points in their lives, and... give them a pencil, buy them a lunchbox, have them watch their girlfriend die, etc? And what stops Smokey leaving the island whilst his guardian's off toddling around the US of A buying people chocolate from vending machines?

Also, how is Jacob, a normal human being, ignorant of what's really going on on the island since the one person who knows died without telling him much, able to tell that one day the little girl he brought a lunchbox for will be boarding a plane to Island-ville along with the two Korean guys he touched at their wedding?

Darlton?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps whilst off island he touches hundreds of thousands of people so that anything that crashes on the island has good odds of having a few candidates on it.:)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually when a skeleton is found, it usually requires an expert in bones to tell whether, its been their a year or a thousand years. I see it on TV cop shows all the time. Jack is a surgeon without a lab. He probably made an educated guess that's all. This is real nit picking to be honest.

Jack didn't 'make a guess'. The writers chose what Jack's interpretation was of the skeletons. Whether there's a scientific explanation related to bone decomposition is irrelevant as most viewers won't have that knowledge. The writers claim to have foreshadowed this week's events *way* back in season 1, but the clues they gave us were two skeletons, one male one female, which were nicknamed, by a character and therefore the writers, as Adam and Eve.

They now reveal it to be a Mother and StepSon, from approx 2000 years ago(?). It doesn't contradict what was given in season 1, but no-one is slapping their forehead saying "of course! brilliant"

hey ho. I'm still keeping the faith that little 'nitpick' ;) aside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people keep on using the term stepson or stepmother. I see no evidence that she married the boy's father.:)
    Speaking of the boys father, the chances are he was one of the villagers who were killed if he lived long enough.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    What is the Man in Black's name? Is it it just Man in Black? Jacob got named - and his other mother doesn't bother to name him! Anyway at least now we know how the smoke monster was created. I was amazed when we found out "what" the smoke monster was back at the end of last season - the look on Ben's face when he sees it back as Locke is priceless!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what annoys me is the implication that fans are just being unreasonable because we didn't get the answers we wanted, or things aren't going how we theorized, and that's why we're dissatisfied with the episode.

I dont think that's the case at all. I think it is unreasonable to refuse to watch the episode in the spirit in which it was was written, as some people are doing.

It was meant to be watched and then analysed so we could each reach our own conclusions. But there are people who are just sticking their heads in the sand refusing to accept the episode should be analysed. I do think that's unreasonable.

Someone may analyse it and reach a totally different conclusion to, say, my own. We may disagree but I still respect the other person's conclusions, and at least they went through the process.

Harping on and on about how the episode didnt give any answers and at the same time refusing to analyse it as many people are doing is imo unreasonable.

Personally, I watched it, thought about it and reached my own conclusions. With the conclusions I reached I thought the episode was interesting. Not great, not terrible, but interesting.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,107
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I dont think that's the case at all. I think it is unreasonable to refuse to watch the episode in the spirit in which it was was written, as some people are doing.

Nonsense. Every single episode of a TV show and every single movie were written to entertain in some manner. That doesn't stop Battlefield Earth being a terrible movie and it doesn't stop "Across the Sea" being a load of old nonsense.

I listened to the podcast last night and the criticisms of this episode have surprised Damon and Carlton. I'm not sure what they expected in all honesty. Maybe they expected the viewers to acclaim the episode as a work of art, I don't know. What I do know is that, whilst I'm normally very defensive of these two guys, their explanation of the whole "Questions lead to more questions so don't expect answers" thing.. well.. I simply can't defend. Having defended the show for 6 seasons, told people that it's a series that plays the long game, that doesn't give instant gratification but when the payoff comes it'll be worth the wait.. well, they made a mug outta me thats for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, you just proved my point.

And seriously, you feel they've made a mug out of you? Come on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you, you just proved my point.

And seriously, you feel they've made a mug out of you? Come on!

Actually I disproved your point.

Yep, I was silly enough to believe that they really did know what they were doing. Shame on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    Actually I disproved your point.

I dont think so. You saying you did doesnt make it so. You seem to be refusing to accept anybody's point of view that isnt your own on the matter, or even attempt to try to analyse the episode, which is exaclty what I was getting at. If you had taken the time to analyse the episode and tried to come up with your own answers and then thought it was crap, fair dues, but you havent even bothered to do that. Unless you have, in which case I'd be interested in your analysis. I'm not trying to be confontational here, just open to constructive debate.
    Yep, I was silly enough to believe that they really did know what they were doing. Shame on me.

No, but taking it so personally it's a bit, well, I dont know,,,I mean I admit to being a bit of a fanboy but even then, I can still put it into perspective. It is just a show at the end of the day.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this week's ep last night, so apologies if similar thoughts have been posted previously.

This was the second last episode of one of the best TV programmes of the 21st century, and they give us that? None of the characters we have been following for the past six years even make an appearance? They could have had that episode anytime in the past 100 and it would have made no difference. A couple of eight year olds, a washed up actress from the West Wing, a bunch of hokum about a glowing cave.

For a score out of of 100, I would give that episode a 2. In terms of a disappointment, a solid 100 out of 100.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched every episode of Lost and remain hooked.
    Sadly I don't see any way for all questions to be answered.
    People are just going to have to be grateful for any answers they get and deal with the fact not everything will be answered.

We got another episode to come and then the grand finale.
    Let's not ruin things by jumping to conclusions just yet - save it until the end because you never know how much more will be answered :)

I have a bunch of questions left over but won't post them until its all done and if necessary.

I really want to see whoever is the smoke monster transform in to it. Like, the person presses a button on their arm and shouts "smoke on" - or something like that :D

Only thing I noticed (I think) was the symbols on that board game appeared to be the same symbols on the count down clock in the hatch after the time was up and the numbers were not inputted to reset it.

I still have faith we are in for one big twist at the end and all will be revealed.

The big unanswered question for me is......what am I going to do with my life after Lost???

:o :mad: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont think so. You saying you did doesnt make it so.

And you saying the opposite doesn't make it so either.
    You seem to be refusing to accept anybody's point of view that isnt your own on the matter, or even attempt to try to analyse the episode, which is exaclty what I was getting at.

Nope, you are missing the point. I don't give a monkey's if you loved the episode, if you've found great meaning in what I see as nonsense. That's your call, your prerogative. Opinions are opinions afterall. What bugs me is that you and a few other posters come on here and tell people who hated the episode that we are in the wrong and we are being unreasonable. That the reason we hated the episode is because it's not matching the vision we have in our heads. Do you know how patronising that is? I've seen a few other posters getting annoyed by this too.
    If you had taken the time to analyse the episode and tried to come up with your own answers and then thought it was crap, fair dues, but you havent even bothered to do that.

This isn't some kind of Zen. Three episodes from the end of the series and you think we should still be looking for hidden meanings in the show? Sorry, but that ship has sailed. It was part of the fun during the first 5 seasons but now is the time for conclusions, not riddles.
    No, but taking it so personally it's a bit, well, I dont know,,,I mean I admit to being a bit of a fanboy but even then, I can still put into perspective. It is just a show at the end of the day.

I'm not taking it personally and I'm hardly a fanboy (I have only 1 season on DVD, watch the episodes once sometimes twice). The only thing that has me worked up a bit is the way any negativity is reflected as being the fault of the viewer and not the show/writer. To be honest I'm at the point where I'm likely to write something I might regret or might get me banned so I'm bailing out of this thread at this point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Watched this week's ep last night, so apologies if similar thoughts have been posted previously.

This was the second last episode of one of the best TV programmes of the 21st century, and they give us that? None of the characters we have been following for the past six years even make an appearance? They could have had that episode anytime in the past 100 and it would have made no difference. A couple of eight year olds, a washed up actress from the West Wing, a bunch of hokum about a glowing cave.

For a score out of of 100, I would give that episode a 2. In terms of a disappointment, a solid 100 out of 100.

It wasn't the second last episode, there's another three including the two part finale. The kids were never 8 years old. They were 0 then 13 then 43.

There are two main schools of thought. The majority who believe they should be giving answers and a minority who think you should watch it and make up your own interpretation..
    I sit in the middle. I want a mystery to be mysterious and want to analyse it and unravel the mystery bit by and find the answers. But in doing so I like to know that there are definite aswers to everything that takes place. I don't think it's particularly smart writing for everything to be so ambiguous that thousands of people can come up with their own interpretations and none are right and none are wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    And you saying the opposite doesn't make it so either.

We'll just agree to disagree then.
    Nope, you are missing the point. I don't give a monkey's if you loved the episode, if you've found great meaning in what I see as nonsense. That's your call, your prerogative. Opinions are opinions afterall. What bugs me is that you and a few other posters come on here and tell people who hated the episode that we are in the wrong and we are being unreasonable. That the reason we hated the episode is because it's not matching the vision we have in our heads. Do you know how patronising that is? I've seen a few other posters getting annoyed by this too.

I'm not missing the point. Many of the people who hated the episode havent taken the time to try to come up with their own answers, they are refusing point blank to do so. Instead they have spent all their energy complaining about it.

And, like I said, I didnt love this episode, I didnt find great meaning, but I did find it interesting.
    This isn't some kind of Zen. Three episodes from the end of the series and you think we should still be looking for hidden meanings in the show? Sorry, but that ship has sailed. It was part of the fun during the first 5 seasons but now is the time for conclusions, not riddles.

And here you go, a point blank refusal to analyse the episode.
    I'm not taking it personally and I'm hardly a fanboy (I have only 1 season on DVD, watch the episodes once sometimes twice). The only thing that has me worked up a bit is the way any negativity is reflected as being the fault of the viewer and not the show/writer. To be honest I'm at the point where I'm likely to write something I might regret or might get me banned so I'm bailing out of this thread at this point.

If that's not admission that you are taking it personally I dont know what is.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Probably just me but I thought that Claudia looked like the young Rousseau
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    Probably just me but I thought that Claudia looked like the young Rousseau

Before or after she had her face caved in with a rock?
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here you go, a point blank refusal to analyse the episode.

Well that's the rub right there - 'analyse'. I've no problem with joining the dots myself on less-consequential happenings, but as Rooks says, this is the time for answers, for the end of the journey, for the point of the show to be made clear. No episode should have to be 'analysed' to derive some hidden meaning, where that meaning is directly relevant to the show's being.

Althought I think they dropped the ball big-time with ATS, I'm not ready to give Darlton a flaying until I've seen the next 210 minutes at least twice.

(... but if it ends in any way analagous to BSG, I'm hirin' me some pitchforks...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Well that's the rub right there - 'analyse'. I've no problem with joining the dots myself on less-consequential happenings, but as Rooks says, this is the time for answers, for the end of the journey, for the point of the show to be made clear. No episode should have to be 'analysed' to derive some hidden meaning, where that meaning is directly relevant to the show's being.

Well there is no handbook that says that...but seriously, I do get what you are saying, there are logical reasons for not having this type of episode at this late stage of the game. From a narrative point of view it's clumsy and a very danerous thing to do. But they have done it, and it cant be changed now. So what do we do with it? We let dissapointment/anger etc get the better of us, or if for nothing more than for the sake of the years we've invested in the show, have a think about it. Personally I've gone for the later, not because I think I'm superior or anything like that, but simply because I just find it more rewarding.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    This was a disappointing episode and I doubt I'll ever watch that one again. Usually I rewatch episodes a few times. The problem was that we don't really care about those characters although I suppose the backstory had to be told.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was meant to be watched and then analysed so we could each reach our own conclusions. But there are people who are just sticking their heads in the sand refusing to accept the episode should be analysed. I do think that's unreasonable.

Someone may analyse it and reach a totally different conclusion to, say, my own. We may disagree but I still respect the other person's conclusions, and at least they went through the process.

Harping on and on about how the episode didnt give any answers and at the same time refusing to analyse it as many people are doing is imo unreasonable.

Personally, I watched it, thought about it and reached my own conclusions. With the conclusions I reached I thought the episode was interesting. Not great, not terrible, but interesting.

But first of all though, it's a terrible mystery show if one, it's forcing viewers to reach their own conclusions and two, these conclusions differ wildly from viewer to viewer. They set this mystery up, and presented us with questions and clues. Sure, we can theorize and wonder what's going on, but in the end it's down to them to provide the main answers, not us.
    It keeps coming back to the murder mystery thing. You don't read or watch a murder mystery where the murderer is never revealed and you are forced to guess yourself whodunnit, then applaud the writers for letting you use your imagination.

(EDIT: Though I see you guys already had this discussion a couple of posts ago :p)

Secondly, even ignoring the whole 'this is gonna answer soooo many questions!' side of things, this was a pretty bad episode in general. There was none of the emotion, or humour, or entertainment that we have seen in other LOST episodes. It was hard to care about the characters. I was never made to laugh, or brought to sadness, or really felt anything, unlike in other episodes. And it totally ruined the pacing of the season, featuring none of the main characters (flashback not counting here) when such big things happened last week.

People say Niki and Paolo's centric was terrible, but at least it made me laugh. At least it featured some of the main characters. At least I cared, even if only a tiny bit, what was going on with the people featured in the episode.
    At least in Ab Aeterno, I cared about Richard, and was interested in his story, sad about the death of his wife, scared as he was chained on the ship, etc. In Across The Sea it was just hard to care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But first of all though, it's a terrible mystery show if one, it's forcing viewers to reach their own conclusions and two, these conclusions differ wildly from viewer to viewer. They set this mystery up, and presented us with questions and clues. Sure, we can theorize and wonder what's going on, but in the end it's down to them to provide the main answers, not us.
    It keeps coming back to the murder mystery thing. You don't read or watch a murder mystery where the murderer is never revealed and you are forced to guess yourself whodunnit, then applaud the writers for letting you use your imagination.

Hi, we seemed to have cross posted, I think what I posted to nate1970 a couple of post up would also be my reply to this point.
    (EDIT: Though I see you guys already had this discussion a couple of posts ago :p)

Secondly, even ignoring the whole 'this is gonna answer soooo many questions!' side of things, this was a pretty bad episode in general. There was none of the emotion, or humour, or entertainment that we have seen in other LOST episodes. It was hard to care about the characters. I was never made to laugh, or brought to sadness, or really felt anything, unlike in other episodes. And it totally ruined the pacing of the season, featuring none of the main characters (flashback not counting here) when such big things happened last week.

Oh there's no getting round that it was played out pretty low key, underwhelming in tone some might say.
    People say Niki and Paolo's centric was terrible, but at least it made me laugh. At least it featured some of the main characters. At least I cared, even if only a tiny bit, what was going on with the people featured in the episode.
    At least in Ab Aeterno, I cared about Richard, and was interested in his story, sad about the death of his wife, scared as he was chained on the ship, etc. In Across The Sea it was just hard to care.

As much as I disliked Paulo & Niki, I actually quite liked that episode :o. I enjoyed the Tales of the Unexpected type ending.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . But they have done it, and it cant be changed now. So what do we do with it?

Go on interweb forums in our hundreds and have a moan, in the hope that future writers of hit television series take note.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not a murder mystery show though. Darlton have said, no more than a season or so ago, that they hadn't given all the information for people to 'figure things out'; it's a story with mysteries, not a puzzle to solve.

BTS is *almost* a filler episode, I think that there was demand for a bit more Jacob backstory, and the timing of it was good, a catch-your-breath before plunging headlong into the last 3 1/2 hours, without worrying that the distant past still needs to be covered.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comment that MIB made to Jacob about "you look down at us from above" could that mean that Jacob and his Mother live near the volcano and the lightpool could erupt,like the cork popping from the wine bottle?
    Does anybody else think this could happen?