Telegraph — More to come?

CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wonder if the Telegraph will dig up some stored up crud about contenders when the Labour leadership contest gets in full swing.

They will all have to be squeaky clean. I do not expect Labour politicians will be exempt if the Telegraph find they can make some money out of them.

Comments

• debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure the Telegraph has a whole dossier just waiting to be revealed. However I would like to know a bit more about how our Lords and Ladies are cared for at our expense? Do they have the same or similar perks!?

And then there are charities also. I have said in a previous post I was once employed by a National Charity and was SHOCKED at how much they spent on expenses!:eek:
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I just wonder if the Telegraph will dig up some stored up crud about contenders when the Labour leadership contest gets in full swing.

They will all have to be squeaky clean. I do not expect Labour politicians will be exempt if the Telegraph find they can make some money out of them.

If there is anything there to expose about them then of course the Telegraph will reveal all. So if the contenders have anything to hide they'd be wise to fess up now ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice attempt at deflection or is it wishful thinking?

Ed Milliband's expenses are relatively low and David Milliband's figures are quite high. John McDonnell is a London MP and his expenses were very low considering the high level of service his constituents receive.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter9999 wrote: »
    Nice attempt at deflection or is it wishful thinking?

Ed Milliband's expenses are relatively low and David Milliband's figures are quite high. John McDonnell is a London MP and his expenses were very low considering the high level of service his constituents receive.

Who knows what the Telegraph may come up with it may not just about expenses? All sorts of things can be dragged up about peoples past as apparently the Telegraph has no bounds when it comes to finding some sort of story to make money and I cannot imagine they will miss this opportunity of getting their investigative journalists to dredge their editorial slop buckets to find some dregs to create a story to grace their pages.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much the DT originally paid for all this info? Whatever it was it seems to have been one hell of a bargain!
  • nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    Didn't they have a stolen CD when it all kicked off? (after being tipped off ofc!)

They already want Dave Milliband to win, suggesting they have dirt on him ready to be unleashed :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Good for the telegraph, the more they dig up the better because after all, we pay politicians so any exposure of misdoings is welcome IMO.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    If there is anything there to expose about them then of course the Telegraph will reveal all. So if the contenders have anything to hide they'd be wise to fess up now ;)

Not good tactics. wait for the leader to be installed, and then undermine at the most opportune time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press dont care when they are in or not, its all good news for them. But if it takes the press to out them then so be it. No matter what party they are in....if they are dipping there snouts in the trough.......out you go.

Public money, maybe the people can report them to the police....lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't really need to find wrongdoing - just find a way of presenting the facts in a negative light.

Last year when MPs had obeyed the rules they were attacked for claiming excessively.

This year we have the David Laws scandal where he broke the rules but claimed less than he was entitled.

Then we were treated to Danny Alexander who failed to pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of a house that wasn't subject to it.

The Torygraph will happily just keep making shit up until they get whatever it is the Barclay Brothers want.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course they have, you think they'd be stupid enough to release ALL their info at the same time?
    this whole thing could go on for YEARS!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben wrote: »
    They don't really need to find wrongdoing - just find a way of presenting the facts in a negative light.

Last year when MPs had obeyed the rules they were attacked for claiming excessively.

This year we have the David Laws scandal where he broke the rules but claimed less than he was entitled.

Then we were treated to Danny Alexander who failed to pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of a house that wasn't subject to it.

The Torygraph will happily just keep making shit up until they get whatever it is the Barclay Brothers want.

No, he claimed money he was not entitled too..and he knew it.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They will all have to be squeaky clean. I do not expect Labour politicians will be exempt if the Telegraph find they can make so someme money out of them.

In addition aggrieved MPs will still slink off to various newspapers to give them all sorts of tittle tattle to peddle as news. Mandelson and Campbell will still be up to all of their old tricks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those posters who think The Telegraph is muck raking I suugest having a read of Tony Benn's diaries. The press were camped outside his house for most of 1981 going through his rubbish etc. And what about Arthur Scargill? If you can't find anything just invent it.

By an amazing co=incidence Tony Benn has just been on Five Live telling the story of the paper's inventing his millions in a Cayman Island bank.
  • nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    In addition aggrieved MPs will still slink off to various newspapers to give them all sorts of tittle tattle to peddle as news. Mandelson and Campbell will still be up to all of their old tricks.

It was almost certainly Vince Cable who told them

http://order-order.com/2010/06/01/whodunnit/
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »

Oooo. If it's from a blogger, it MUST be true! Oooo...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »

That's tittle tattle - no one knows why The Telegraph looked more closely at the situation and we will never know for certain. It does't even matter.

My own opinion is that as soon as the LibDems got into power the newspaper took a closer look at all of them.

And the tittle tattle and sly hints and innuendoes will continue from all sides.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you know they will. Do you know something we dont.
    The good old DM already printing things to detract from the Laws scandal. see link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283212/After-civil-servants-soaring-pay-20-rise-bonuses.html

Cameron earns £142000, but he doesnt have to pay for mucu. I havent calculated how much he is better off but I guess his overall earnings could amount to £400000.

Cameron and co are now in government. They dont have to behave like they are in opposition, which is what they are still doing. No hesitation in using the right wing press to do their dirty work.

Why is it everytime someone brings up something about the coalition, people bring up Mandelson and Campbell. Surely there are other things that can be used as ammunition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish they'd draw a line in the sand, it was once brilliant now it's a pain in the arse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    How do you know they will. Do you know something we dont.
    The good old DM already printing things to detract from the Laws scandal. see link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283212/After-civil-servants-soaring-pay-20-rise-bonuses.html

Cameron earns £142000, but he doesnt have to pay for mucu. I havent calculated how much he is better off but I guess his overall earnings could amount to £400000.

Cameron and co are now in government. They dont have to behave like they are in opposition, which is what they are still doing. No hesitation in using the right wing press to do their dirty work.

Why is it everytime someone brings up something about the coalition, people bring up Mandelson and Campbell. Surely there are other things that can be used as ammunition.

Campbell and Mandelson have a proven track record and Campbell has a book to promote right now. Mandelson's improprieties are on record.

I have no idea what the Daily Mail has got to do with it.

Laws is news in every single daily and Sunday newspaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's tittle tattle - no one knows why The Telegraph looked more closely at the situation and we will never know for certain. It does't even matter.

My own opinion is that as soon as the LibDems got into power the newspaper took a closer look at all of them.

And the tittle tattle and sly hints and innuendoes will continue from all sides.

Andrew Pierce, former Telegraph Assistant Editor, said on the radio that they hadn't bothered scrutinising the LibDems as they considered them relatively unimportant at the time. Now however...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nightstar wrote: »
    Andrew Pierce, former Telegraph Assistant Editor, said on the radio that they hadn't bothered scrutinising the LibDems as they considered them relatively unimportant at the time. Now however...

Good point.

Furthermore, the Tories are not used to having to deal with a hostile press and they don't appear to know how to react.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. And they tried so hard that even a non news like Alexander is dragged through mud for not doing anything wrong with his supposed CGT fiasco.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree - I think that the LibDems have lived in a little bubble off-stage but now they are in the spotlight. In power and under scrutiny.

Andrew Pierce has always struck me as a fair minded journalist and the Telegraph published everbody's expenses bar none.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter9999 wrote: »
    Good point.

Furthermore, the Tories are not used to having to deal with a hostile press and they don't appear to know how to react.

They've barely set foot in the door yet, labour had years of honeymoon.