Options

Programmes "on BBC ONE and BBC ONE HD"

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
Obviously, not everything on BBC1 will be made in HD, but given how a number of viewers are so interminably thick they'll think that stretching a 4:3 programme across a 16:9 makes it "widescreen", and that a flatscreen TV makes everything "HD", how are the BBC pointing out to the casual viewer that a programme isn't in HD but is simply upscaled, and what that actually means?

Not having HD, all I can see is, for example, Breakfast being introduced as being on both channels but there's nothing being said to make the distinction that it's not in HD.

And if they're not making any distinction, then they're clearly being misleading.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everything on Sky HD is full HD, but they don't distinguish between the two. Are they being misleading as well?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    And if they're not making any distinction, then they're clearly being misleading.
    Luckily they *are* making the distinction (admittedly not yet with 100% accuracy) so that's all right then.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EPG entry for BBC one HD now states that a programme is in HD by the addition of "(HD)" at the end. The lack of such an addition would therefore indicate SD (or upscaled).

Programme listings in the Radio Times also state the same.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Considering the little bru ha ha created in this forum when the BBC quickly explained what a smart phone was I can only assume complete and utter meltdown if they explained aspect ratios.

I always though people stretched a 4:3 picture to get rid of side bars. Each to their own I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The EPG entry for BBC one HD now states that a programme is in HD by the addition of "(HD)" at the end. The lack of such an addition would therefore indicate SD (or upscaled).

Programme listings in the Radio Times also state the same.

Ta. Do Sky do the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the little bru ha ha created in this forum when the BBC quickly explained what a smart phone was I can only assume complete and utter meltdown if they explained aspect ratios.

Well, when it comes to showing the odd 2.35:1 film, they just seem to let it slip out without explanation and see if viewers will accept through osmosis, which thankfully, they seem to be doing, as the number of films being shown that way on the BBC are increasing (although ITV and Five are being quite lame about it)
    I always though people stretched a 4:3 picture to get rid of side bars. Each to their own I suppose.

I've done that with cartoons, but I can't abide it with TV shows that feature people as the distortion is horrendous.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta. Do Sky do the same?
    Not 100% sure about Sky, I think that I saw a post from someone that said taht it was highlighted in one way, and I recall seeing a post on the Freesat forum stating that the Freesat epg was like this.

I have also seen a comment from someone with Sky who says that 5.1 programming is also highlighted via a different colour
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    Not everything on Sky HD is full HD, but they don't distinguish between the two. Are they being misleading as well?

Sky never say "on Sky *** HD.......", if the programme is not in HD.

The BBC are saying "on BBC One and BBC One HD....", whether the programme is in SD or HD.

That's the big difference. It is misleading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

The BBC are saying "on BBC One and BBC One HD....", whether the programme is in SD or HD.

But is the BBC, SKY, ITV, CHANNEL4 & FIVE shooting in 720 or1080 HD.:confused:
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not. They're saying the programme is available on both channels-which is true. If they were to say 'on BBC One and in high definition on BBC One HD" when it was an upscaled SD programme,THAT would be misleading.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta. Do Sky do the same?

Providing you have the option switched on (unsurprisingly in the "Options" section of the settings menu) true HD programmes are displayed in orange text on the EPG whereas SD ones are in white.
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Sky's way of doing it is easier. Instead of saying "...on ITV1 and ITV1 HD!" or "on BBC One and BBC One HD", it's just "on Sky1 HD" which to me means that you can watch it on Sky1 in SD or Sky1 HD in HD. If they just say "Sky1" then that just means it is only available in SD and if I watch it on Sky1 HD I will be watching upscaled content.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought they said that if the programme ISN'T in HD.

If the programme IS in HD I think they say "on BBC1 and in High Definition on BBC1 HD" or words to that effect.

So they do make a distinction.
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    No it's not. They're saying the programme is available on both channels-which is true. If they were to say 'on BBC One and in high definition on BBC One HD" when it was an upscaled SD programme,THAT would be misleading.

True, but generally people wouldn't think logically like that. By saying "on BBC one and BBC one HD", a lot of people will automatically assume the programme will be in HD on the HD channel (unless it obviously isn't, like a 70s sitcom the other day). It CAN be misleading to some, even though they aren't saying anything incorrect and in my opinion they shouldn't mention BBC one HD if the programme is only upscaled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »

It's a very grey distinction, though. The average casual viewer would be left thinking that something "on BBC ONE and BBC ONE HD" is going to give them HD on the latter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    True, but generally people wouldn't think logically like that. By saying "on BBC one and BBC one HD", a lot of people will automatically assume the programme will be in HD on the HD channel (unless it obviously isn't, like a 70s sitcom the other day). It CAN be misleading to some, even though they aren't saying anything incorrect and in my opinion they shouldn't mention BBC one HD if the programme is only upscaled.

Agreed. The average viewer doesn't have any real understanding of things like that.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Sky's way of doing it is easier. Instead of saying "...on ITV1 and ITV1 HD!" or "on BBC One and BBC One HD", it's just "on Sky1 HD" which to me means that you can watch it on Sky1 in SD or Sky1 HD in HD. If they just say "Sky1" then that just means it is only available in SD and if I watch it on Sky1 HD I will be watching upscaled content.

I don't watch a hell of a lot of Sky1 (HD), and very rarely anything that's SD-only, but if their strategy of promoting/introducing programmes is anything like it is on Sky Sports, I doubt they'd ever just say "Sky1" these days. They're so busy pushing HD that it'll only ever be "Sky1 HD" that they say, even if it's not being shown in HD.

Indeed the Sky1 HD DOG is permanently present these days, whether the programme being shown is in HD or not. That never used to be the case until a few months ago. And, for some reason, they feel the DOG needs to be bigger if it's an SD programme than if it's an HD one, like we wouldn't be able to read it against an SD background picture. :confused:
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    IThey're so busy pushing HD that it'll only ever be "Sky1 HD" that they say, even if it's not being shown in HD.
    You have not been reading correctly - that's NOT what Sky do!
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

Okay - if that's the case, then fair enough. I was just comparing it to what they often do in Sky Sports promos now, and thought it might be the same.
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 only carry the HD logo if the broadcast is HD which is the way it should be.
    BBC1HD has the logo all the time which will mislead people and does not help to encourage HD takeup.

Visitors will see the BBC1HD logo on an upscaled programme and see how shit it is and be convinced that HD is just a ripoff.

IIRC Sky One HD only has the HD logo if its HD too
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    I do think Sky's way of doing it is easier. Instead of saying "...on ITV1 and ITV1 HD!" or "on BBC One and BBC One HD", it's just "on Sky1 HD" which to me means that you can watch it on Sky1 in SD or Sky1 HD in HD.
    I'm sure they used to say "..on Sky1 and on Sky1 HD" or something similar at one point. They certainly used to always put a banner accross the bottom of the picture saying 'even better in HD on Sky Channel 170' (or something like that). Interestingy, I think they only changed that when Sky1HD launched on VM :)
    I don't watch a hell of a lot of Sky1 (HD), and very rarely anything that's SD-only, but if their strategy of promoting/introducing programmes is anything like it is on Sky Sports, I doubt they'd ever just say "Sky1" these days. They're so busy pushing HD that it'll only ever be "Sky1 HD" that they say, even if it's not being shown in HD.
    BKM wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me; and I watch a lot of Sky1 ;)

For the record, I don't have HD so only watch the SD version of any channel. Does Sky1 have seperate continuity announcements on their HD channel?
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay - if that's the case, then fair enough. I was just comparing it to what they often do in Sky Sports promos now, and thought it might be the same.

Pre-recorded promos and live plugs when done properly don't refer to the HD channel if the show isn't in HD (i.e. the Soccer AM Xmas Special at the moment is being trailed as on Sky Sports 1)

Occasionally, the Sky Sports News presenters will get it wrong and automatically refer to say Sky Sports HD1 when the program is only in SD.

The channel idents have a pre-recorded "You're Watching Sky Sports in HD" regardless of whether the programme is actually HD or not.

The DOG on the HD channels drops the 'HDx' bit when upscaled content is shown. I believe most of Sky's other channel DOGs do the same.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    ITV1 only carry the HD logo if the broadcast is HD which is the way it should be.
    BBC1HD has the logo all the time which will mislead people and does not help to encourage HD takeup.

Visitors will see the BBC1HD logo on an upscaled programme and see how shit it is and be convinced that HD is just a ripoff.

Thats how I see it, STV, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky only show the HD logo if a program is in HD. For the BBC not to do the same is confusing for people unsure on what HD is. I expect better from from the BBC. :(
  • Options
    KevraniKevrani Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Channel 4 do the same. It's really frustrating that the BBC won't follow the same pattern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevrani wrote: »
    Channel 4 do the same. It's really frustrating that the BBC won't follow the same pattern.

Get rid of them altogether and just TELL people when something's in HD. :rolleyes: