silverside joint in the slow cooker ....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
Forum Member
....i see loads of recipes online , i want someones experience though , so come on , tell all :D

Comments

• LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's basic pot roast beef is the only way I cook beef nowadays. I've long given up on producing a juicy rare roast beef no matter what beef I use, and despite 12 years experience of working in a butchers. I prefer not to eat shoe leather.

I don't even bother browning whatever joint of beef I use in the slow cooker, I just sit it on the bottom of the bowl.

I add peeled whole small onions, big chunks of carrot and swede, salt and pepper, 2 beef oxo cubes, and then around a pint of water.

Put the slow cooker on high for the first hour, then turn it to low for around 8 hours.

The beef just falls apart when it's done (don't expect nice slices even if you let it go cold), and I serve it with the veg, and thickened gravy, plenty or roasties and yorkshires.

My (extremely) fussy white meat eaters only daughters call these veg "special veg" and adore it.
    It;'s the only way they'll eat roast beef.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Do you find you need to top up the liquid level ? ...
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you find you need to top up the liquid level ? ...

No, I never have.

Rather than stick to quantities of liquid though, I'm far more likely to do it by sight. I just make sure the liquid comes approx halfway up the cooker bowl.

I have 2 slow cookers; a regular size one for the three of us, and a big (6 ltr I think) one for when I have the whole family.

Obviously the pint of liquid is nothing like enough when I'm using the big slow cooker.

With a pot roast beef (or rolled lamb shoulder) like this, you generally want a fair bit of gravy, so just keep an eye on the liquid content, bearing in mind that you shouldn't lift the lid too often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I brown it off first, usually with a pepper, rosemary or mustard crust and then pop in slow cooker with a quartered onion, a tattie and carrot/parsnip/sweet tattie. Fill the pot half way with stock (I cheat with oxo) and leave it alone. The longer you can do it the better, but you can get away with 4-5 hours on high if you're pushed for time (6-8 hours medium, 8-10 hours low). Every time you lift the lid, add 15mins to the cooking time.

Once it's done, I leave the meat to rest and drain the stock. At this point, I put the stock on the windowsill to cool and put the veg in a sieve over a pan and mush through for gravy. Once the stock's cooled I skim off the fat and add the fluid to my gravy pan. I then bring to the boil and thicken with cornflour if needed.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Specktater wrote: »
    I brown it off first, usually with a pepper, rosemary or mustard crust and then pop in slow cooker with a quartered onion, a tattie and carrot/parsnip/sweet tattie. Fill the pot half way with stock (I cheat with oxo) and leave it alone. The longer you can do it the better, but you can get away with 4-5 hours on high if you're pushed for time (6-8 hours medium, 8-10 hours low). Every time you lift the lid, add 15mins to the cooking time.

Once it's done, I leave the meat to rest and drain the stock. At this point, I put the stock on the windowsill to cool and put the veg in a sieve over a pan and mush through for gravy. Once the stock's cooled I skim off the fat and add the fluid to my gravy pan. I then bring to the boil and thicken with cornflour if needed.

This sounds seriously yummy! I've never actually done a slow-cooked joint before. I don't have a slow cooker - would this recipe work in a low oven?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    This sounds seriously yummy! I've never actually done a slow-cooked joint before. I don't have a slow cooker - would this recipe work in a low oven?

Yup, that's how I used to do it before I got the slow cooker.

You'll need a pan with a tight fitting oven safe lid, if you don't have one that'll do the job you could use a double layer of tinfoil (make sure it doesn't touch the joint), it's fiddly but it'll work - cook for around 6 hours at 80 degrees.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Specktater wrote: »
    Yup, that's how I used to do it before I got the slow cooker.

You'll need a pan with a tight fitting oven safe lid, if you don't have one that'll do the job you could use a double layer of tinfoil (make sure it doesn't touch the joint), it's fiddly but it'll work - cook for around 6 hours at 80 degrees.

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try it. I'll use my trusty old Le Creuset casserole pot.
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »

Slow coolers work around 95 centigrade , my oven has an 'S' setting , reckon it don't be very economical , for what they cost I would invest in a slow cooker ;)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always cook beef slowly. There would be no point in me buying prime rib or topside to serve it running with bloody juices because my family wouldn't eat it - waste of money therefore. So I buy brisket or silverside, which is usually rolled with string. I take this off, and open the meat out, seasoning with salt and pepper. I brown it on all sides in olive oil in a casserole with chunks of onion, carrot, swede etc. Pour in beef stock, a glug of red wine and a bayleaf or two. Once it's started to simmer, put a tight lid on, and place casserole in the oven pre-heated to 150 - 160c. Just leave it for 3 hours, at which point it will be easy to lift it out with a carving fork. Place in foil and wrap it up to rest. Increase heat in the oven, put your roast potatoes in. Make a gravy with the meat juices in the casserole - you can mash the root veg into the liquid for a thick rustic gravy, and thin it with more stock if you need it. The meat will be falling apart as you carve it, and dark brown ( no pink at all ) and very good. Left over thin slices make lovely sandwiches.
    Forum Member
    i have got a 2.5kg piece of silverside for xmas day , just wondering how long to slow cook it for now ....