Warning, Apple maps can kill!

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    I remember the time when there was a large body of opinion that you didn't need 3G. That seemed to change when the iPhone 3G came out.

And I bet you can find a post from me on that very topic. What I actually believed at the time was that I would rather have a 2g phone with the IOS user interface than something like the N95 which didn't even have touch. Of course 3g was an improvement but not the same sort of quantum leap that the original iPhone UI was.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    i'm going to assume you think i'm a "fanboy" then?
    well my current device is the 4S, but i'm looking at getting a Nexus 4. does that blow your theory out the water then?

ignored the rest of my post then?

I didn't really understand your post in relation to what you think I was arguing against to be honest.

I have galaxy note.

The rest I just ignored yes.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm going to assume you think i'm a "fanboy" then?
    well my current device is the 4S, but i'm looking at getting a Nexus 4. does that blow your theory out the water then?

Did you class me in that category then aswell?

Because i have an iPhone 4 - unsold at this time.
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    And I bet you can find a post from me on that very topic. What I actually believed at the time was that I would rather have a 2g phone with the IOS user interface than something like the N95 which didn't even have touch. Of course 3g was an improvement but not the same sort of quantum leap that the original iPhone UI was.

:D that's fantastic and where do you stand on that now then rather have ios than 3g still.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why would i class you in any category?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    The rest I just ignored yes.

thought you would.
    i've got your cards marked, i know what you're all about. very transparent.
    Forum Member
    thought you would.
    i've got your cards marked, i know what you're all about. very transparent.

Sheet of glass me ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would i class you in any category?

I mean the apple hater category. I thought i was also pigeon holed.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup,

swordman certainly ain't no sycophant flattering to deceive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean the apple hater category. I thought i was also pigeon holed.

my post was suggesting someone putting me in the fanboy category, why would that automatically mean you are in the apple category?

swordman clearly has some sort of agenda, which is why he's constantly grabbing at things to try and make him feel like he is best.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Owning a product from a company you dislike is always odd :D
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yup,

swordman certainly ain't no sycophant flattering to deceive.

Pity the same cannot be said of more on here ;)
    Forum Member
    Sheet of glass me ;)

Yeah, argumets easily crack under pressure :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Owning a product from a company you dislike is always odd :D

Do we have to go over this again? I loved it 2 years ago, just like Gormond.

I thought you didn't own any apple products? Isn't also odd being a fan of something you've never used?
    Forum Member
    Do we have to go over this again? I loved it 2 years ago, just like Gormond.

I thought you didn't own any apple products? Isn't also odd being a fan of something you've never used?

Why did you fall out of love with it?

I don't own any Apple products but have had the original iPhone in the past and had a few Macs to mess with - never knew I was a fan of Apple though...can't say I am a fan of any particular brand...although have a soft spot for Sony phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you fall out of love with it?

I don't own any Apple products but have had the original iPhone in the past and had a few Macs to mess with - never knew I was a fan of Apple though...can't say I am a fan of any particular brand...although have a soft spot for Sony phones.

The OS didn't change in 2 years, where as Android moved on leaps and bounds. I didn't like how they stagnate the OS on old devices on purpose to sell more hardware.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not at all .. if you have to judge a screen solely on ppi feel free but that will be your loss. ppi/dpi is always important as was going back buying pc monitors over a decade ago but to insist on a some silly ppi because a company tells you it's the vital on a small screen is a little silly.

It's not "some silly PPI" though, is it? It's a very significant PPI above the threshold that the human eye, in typical use, can't perceive individual pixels.

You just can't stop yourself from this nonsense about how people only think its a good thing 'because Apple say so'.

It's not - it's because people actually can appreciate the difference.

It's not as though all of this is just something Apple dreamt up. There really is a threshold at which a high enough PPI will have that benefit.
    Forum Member
    Why exactly and even if it meant providing a low standard of service to their customers?

Google had at least a 5 year head start and could afford to take their time. Also, when they started it was not appreciated just what a fundamental cornerstone location would become to mobile services. So yes, Apple cannot afford to take their time. The quickest route is also a painful one, but Apple can afford to take that pain in the interest of a much bigger gain later. As I say, the public's memory is short.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's you get apple users to switch so they can understand ;)

When apple switch to amoled which will happen they will stop bigging up ppi ... you heard it here first :D

My first judgement would always be resolution as in is it HD
    HD is not a marketing term what are you talking about HD has to be a specific resolution to be classed as HD .. retina means nothing and can be anything that is just purely apple marketing.

Not saying a HD screen can't be crap but a better place to start than retina which means nothing

HD ready granted was a fudge but I thought even that had to be minimum 720 horizontal?
    Apple invented retina because they were unable to provide bigger screens so they used the squash more pixels into a smaller screen and call it retina claiming it was they way to go.

just nonsense

I'm bet your glad you mentioned HD now:)

You seem to know a lot about apple and why it does certain things, do you work for them? Or are you just making it up?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OS didn't change in 2 years, where as Android moved on leaps and bounds. I didn't like how they stagnate the OS on old devices on purpose to sell more hardware.

Which 2 year period are we talking about. It seems to me iOS and android are being updated all the time.

The real shame is I still haven't got my promised update on my phone.
    Forum Member
    :D that's fantastic and where do you stand on that now then rather have ios than 3g still.

If I understand your question right (but your sentence is a bit difficult to parse) then yes, I think I would rather have Android or IOS running 2G than a non touch device running 3G.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman, you need to get back on track :)

HD and Retina are both crap marketing terms. Neither is a continuous measure though, hence making them both crap.

Apples is based on apparently what the human eye can see pixel wise from the distance apple think you should hold your device from your eyes.

No! :D

Not the distance at which Apple think.

The minimum distance at which any normal person would hold a phone from their eyes.

What is this barking obsession with trying to suggest that these sorts of things aren't normal or typical, but abnormal or atypical things that Apple have somehow tricked people into thinking or doing?
    Forum Member
    Yeah, argumets easily crack under pressure :D

oooh saucy
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It's not "some silly PPI" though, is it? It's a very significant PPI above the threshold that the human eye, in typical use, can't perceive individual pixels.

You just can't stop yourself from this nonsense about how people only think its a good thing 'because Apple say so'.

It's not - it's because people actually can appreciate the difference.

It's not as though all of this is just something Apple dreamt up. There really is a threshold at which a high enough PPI will have that benefit.

Of course they never dreamt it up it's a scientific fact I stand corrected.
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    If I understand your question right (but your sentence is a bit difficult to parse) then yes, I think I would rather have Android or IOS running 2G than a non touch device running 3G.

really fair enough then