MS Office for iPad released today

GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

MS Office is now available for the iPad from today.

- Microsoft Word for iPad
- Microsoft Excel for iPad
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad

Its free to use the app for reading documents but an Office 365 subscription is needed to edit or create documents.

I have been playing about with it and I am quite impressed, all the apps seem to work rather well.

Gormond.

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time. Apparently it was ready ages ago, but they've been sitting on it, to help Surface have a USP I guess.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well another string in the bow for Apple but why would anyone want to pay for an App when there are free or cheaper Apps available that do the same thing?.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    Well another string in the bow for Apple but why would anyone want to pay for an App when there are free or cheaper Apps available that do the same thing?.

These offer far better compatibility to MS Office on the Mac/PC than any other apps I have tried, they are also very user friendly with a nice clean interface.

Also if you pay for Office 365 for the PC/Mac then you get these apps for no extra charge.

Also many universities give you Office 365 so many students will also get this for free.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm it's not accepting my pre-existing Office 365 subscription. It wants an Apple ID. Either a bug or Apple wants a 30% cut.

Edit:: ignore the above seems you have to choose View for free, then choose activate. Then it works no problem after that. However it is true that Apple will get the 30% cut on new subscriptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Hmm it's not accepting my pre-existing Office 365 subscription. It wants an Apple ID. Either a bug or Apple wants a 30% cut.

Edit:: ignore the above seems you have to choose View for free, then choose activate. Then it works no problem after that. However it is true that Apple will get the 30% cut on new subscriptions.

Strange, I didn't have to do that.

I just opened the app and clicked login and entered my username and password and it worked first time.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »

Indeed, why would they? But if they already have the subscription then fair enough.

I've been using Quick Office and Google Docs on the iPad when I've needed to do stuff for work, and never had any problems with compatibility. I think people are wise enough now to realise that there are perfectly good free alternatives to MS Office on mobile devices.

:) Mark
  • Robin7Robin7 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    What benfit is this to the end user when there are existing free or cheaper Apps available that do the same thing?. How many end user's worldwide are going to be screaming from the roof top's?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin7 wrote: »
    What benfit is this to the end user when there are existing free or cheaper Apps available that do the same thing?. How many end user's worldwide are going to be screaming from the roof top's?

You may have a subscription already. Then you get it with no additional cost. It won't get more compatible with MS Office than with MS Office. Or to paraphrase, if you don't have an MS Office, well you don't have an MS Office :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    You may have a subscription already. Then you get it with no additional cost. It won't get more compatible with MS Office than with MS Office. Or to paraphrase, if you don't have an MS Office, well you don't have an MS Office :p

Yeah for me the programs are free and offer better compatibility than any other third party apps, also the interface is actually done very well.

I wouldn't pay $70 a year just to use this app but if you already have Office 365 it's a no brainer really.

Also if you main use on the iPad is just being able to read documents and not edit then these offer that for free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah for me the programs are free and offer better compatibility than any other third party apps, also the interface is actually done very well.

I wouldn't pay $70 a year just to use this app but if you already have Office 365 it's a no brainer really.

Also if you main use on the iPad is just being able to read documents and not edit then these offer that for free.

I think this may act as a motivation for new subscriptions, you get it for your PC/mac and for iPad(s). In this case you'd probably set it up on your computer first, then mobile devices. In which case Apple gets 30% of nothing.
  • TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are free apps aren't they? Same as they are on Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryH wrote: »
    These are free apps aren't they? Same as they are on Android.

Free for viewing/presenting. You need Office 365 subscription for editing.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see the need for a full Office suite on iPad to be honest. Any extra capability you need from MS-Office over the likes of Apple's included Pages, Numbers etc. and you aren't going to be creating those documents on a tablet. All seems a bit "me-too", as well as being two years too late to make it an essential app to have.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free for viewing/presenting. You need Office 365 subscription for editing.

Yep, it would be much better titled as 'Office Viewer'.
    Standard Freemium trickery I guess.
  • TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yep, it would be much better titled as 'Office Viewer'.
    Standard Freemium trickery I guess.
    I've just tried on my Android phone, signed in with a Microsoft account (not with Office 365 sub) and can quite easily create new documents and edit others.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this may act as a motivation for new subscriptions, you get it for your PC/mac and for iPad(s). In this case you'd probably set it up on your computer first, then mobile devices. In which case Apple gets 30% of nothing.

It's good for companies who provide their teams with iPads. If the company is already deploying Office 365 at an enterprise level, this enables their employees to edit Office docs on the go with no additional cost.
  • Millie1366Millie1366 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Good morning - just a question.

Now must get down to buying Microsoft Office 365 as I want MS Outlook. I have gone through the buy outright, etc. Now leaning towards subs via Amazon and if I get a second hand tower (as mine has issues) then could be easier having extra 'user' capability.

Now my question is my brother has an IPad so could he be one of the users? Would I be right in thinking it would need to be my e-mail or something to access it to avoid 'sharing'? I know I would be paying the sub but how does it work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Millie1366 wrote: »
    Good morning - just a question.

Now must get down to buying Microsoft Office 365 as I want MS Outlook. I have gone through the buy outright, etc. Now leaning towards subs via Amazon and if I get a second hand tower (as mine has issues) then could be easier having extra 'user' capability.

Now my question is my brother has an IPad so could he be one of the users? Would I be right in thinking it would need to be my e-mail or something to access it to avoid 'sharing'? I know I would be paying the sub but how does it work?

Taken from the Office 365 faq
    How do I add members of my household to my subscription? What if I want to remove them?

You can add members of your household to your subscription by logging in to www.office.com/myaccount and clicking Add user. In the dialog box that appears, enter the email address of the household member you want to invite to share your subscription and then click Send invite. To add more members, repeat the same steps.
    The household member you sent an invite to will receive an email with the steps they need to follow to share the subscription. Once they have accepted and completed the sharing steps, they and the installs they are using will appear on your My Account page.
    To stop sharing your subscription with a household member or remove a device they are using, log in to www.office.com/myaccount, click Remove (to stop sharing with member) or Remove device and confirm the action in the dialog box that appears.
    Forum Member
    Thank you lettice - really interesting. My brother does not live at my address - so he is not actually a 'household member' so I wonder if this will cause any issues?

Do you think MS want it to be restricted to members of the actual household i.e. living at same address or is it something they would not concern themselves about as long as the sub is paid each year?

It just occurred to me that if I am paying I would like to use the 5 computers in the price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thank you lettice - really interesting. My brother does not live at my address - so he is not actually a 'household member' so I wonder if this will cause any issues?

Do you think MS want it to be restricted to members of the actual household i.e. living at same address or is it something they would not concern themselves about as long as the sub is paid each year?

It just occurred to me that if I am paying I would like to use the 5 computers in the price.

No issues at all restricting to your household and he is Family anyway if that makes you feel better anyway :)

The 365 personal and home products are compared here for their device usage.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/buy/

If you use onedrive, remember that the onedrive storage offered increases to 1tb for all 365 users later this month, a big add on if you use cloud storage.
    https://blog.onedrive.com/new-onedrive-storage-plans/
    Forum Member
    So I can discuss this option with my brother - good. Have just looked through link and I must admit I find the wording MS Outlook and Outlook/Hotmail confusing.

If you think I should post my questions below under another topic I understand. -

1. I have just looked on my new laptop and I can try Office 365 for a limited time. If I did I wonder if I would be offered to 'update' from there to buy subs? If I wanted to go via Amazon if it was cheaper could it get complicated?

2. Do you think it is already downloaded onto my laptop and just needs to be activated? In other words might save the downloading time on my slow internet.

I am sure you can tell from my questions I really do not know a lot..... the cloud seems a mystery to me and I am not sure how secure it makes me feel.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    So I can discuss this option with my brother - good. Have just looked through link and I must admit I find the wording MS Outlook and Outlook/Hotmail confusing.

If you think I should post my questions below under another topic I understand. -

1. I have just looked on my new laptop and I can try Office 365 for a limited time. If I did I wonder if I would be offered to 'update' from there to buy subs? If I wanted to go via Amazon if it was cheaper could it get complicated?

2. Do you think it is already downloaded onto my laptop and just needs to be activated? In other words might save the downloading time on my slow internet.

I am sure you can tell from my questions I really do not know a lot..... the cloud seems a mystery to me and I am not sure how secure it makes me feel.

:o Millie1366, before you embark on a subscription future, had you considered the free alternatives such as those listed below:

http://www.google.com/docs/about/

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-gb/app/metromail/e5dda0fa-ffa9-45e8-9334-0ee9b4341811
    Forum Member
    Oh! My goodness even more to think about:confused: Busy tomorrow but will have a look later as I am for saving money if I can. Is this something that I can transfer my MS Office Docs over into and also have a calendar like MS Office that I am 'hooked' on?

I did see something about 'sharing' etc and are these docs saved to the cloud?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Oh! My goodness even more to think about:confused: Busy tomorrow but will have a look later as I am for saving money if I can. Is this something that I can transfer my MS Office Docs over into and also have a calendar like MS Office that I am 'hooked' on?

I did see something about 'sharing' etc and are these docs saved to the cloud?

In which case, what you could do is maintain your existing set up on your PC and use one of the many free online file storage and sharing services such as those listed here: http://socialtimes.com/top-15-free-online-file-storage-sites-2_b117246