Options

any thoughts on the Isle of Wight ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
i'm curious, have you ever been there ? if so what did you think ?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I'm a very frequent visitor. Do you need to ask my opinion, I've been a frequent visitor for 20 years or more, and will probably retire there.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Went there on a school trip and loved it.

That was nigh on 40 years ago and unfortunately I haven't yet had the opportunity to go back.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been countless times, from the 70s right up until last year. Love the place.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there real wights???
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Who rocked the place :cool:
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely place
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister and her husband have been to the Isle of Wight about ten times over the last five years. They've always had a really nice time and speak very highly of it. The parents of my brother-in-law have a getaway home there, so he and my sister only have to pay for petrol and the ferry. I want to visit the Julia Margaret Cameron museum by Freshwater Bay at some point.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very pretty but seems to be in a strange time warp, like nothing has really changed there for 25 years.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    My dad lives there (near Sandown) so I avoid the place like a leper colony, but it is a beautiful place.

Actually a lot of one side of my family live there only one or 2 do I speak to.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I've been there a few times as I am only a ferry ride away :) It's lovely.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to Ryde 6-8 times a year, but then I went from the ferry terminal to the ice rink car park, to the King Lud pub on the seafront then back to the rink for the hockey game then home.
    Much alcohol was consumed and good times had by all!
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took the kids there summer 2013 for a little break, we stayed at the Featherdown Farms site there and it was lovely.

It was a bit hard getting around since I don't drive and I forgot that the buses wouldn't be like they are here.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was conceived there but he's never been.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it there. I'd love to live on the Isle of Wight, and hope to one day when I'm old!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Went several times many, many years ago, had a fabulous time with happy memories, loved it.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born here, lived here all my life and no desire to live elsewhere.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its an island with people on but thats not important right now
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live there, its a lovely place to live BUT its not utopia, it has the same problems as many places in the UK, high unemployment, lack of affordable housing, drinking culture and run down areas.

It also has a cr*p and very very expensive bus service, and the solent crossing is amongst the most expensive ferry service in the world.

But I would never ever want to live anywhere else, am off work for five days and its been like a holiday, different seaside town every day (although the weather could be better) and you get to go home and sleep in your own bed instead of a hotel at the end of the day
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    My husband was conceived there but he's never been.

My son was conceived there, we've not been back since. Lovely place though, definitely somewhere i plan to go back too.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I've been several times for the Isle of Wight Festival. Always have a great time but can't say I have seen that much of the place! :D

Actually I'd like to go on a mini break there or something soon.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good for a few days holiday. Plenty to see there. Wouldn't live there.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I went there when I was 4. Curiously I remember some of it. I remember the swing boats and trampolines. I remember wearing an orange dress. I remember a little gate in the garden that led to a path to the beach. I remember getting impetigo and having antibiotics that I had a reaction to. I also remember a storm when we were making the crossing back home which meant the ferry couldn't cross. So we were stuck in the car for hours and ate random tings - I guess what ever Mum and Dad could buy nearby. Funny the stuff you remember
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once read, when the world population was just over 6 billion, that you could fit the entire population of the planet shoulder to shoulder on the Isle Of Wight!

I stayed at Ventnor once when I was a boy in the 80's. It seemed a very steep place in certain areas of the town and outskirts. Went in September and it was unusually hot too. I recall Blackgang Chine along the coast was eroding away into the sea. I wonder how much is now left 30 years later. Even saw the HMS Invincible sailing past from Ryde in the Solent back to Portsmouth on return from the Falklands conflict while on holiday there.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 good music festivals.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the place.

My OH's daughter lives in Lake near Sandown and its lovely listening to the birds in the evening, plus there are some great places to go.