Anti-gay London bus advertising campaign pulled by TfL

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The advert from religious groups Core Issues Trust and Anglican Mainstream states: "Not gay! Ex-gay, post-gay and proud. Get over it!"

The message is styled in the recognisable format of previous campaigns run by Stonewall, the LGBT charity who launched the "Some people are gay. Get over it!" slogan in 2007.

One user on our Twitter feed had this to say:
@digitalspy I should jolly well think so! What were @TfLofficial thinking? Tut tut.

I absolutely agree with them! The ad campaign was expected to start next week.
@TfLofficial We don’t believe these ads reflect TfL’s commitment to a tolerant and inclusive London

[news]Anti-gay London bus advertising campaign pulled by TfL[/news]

Comments

• academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, it's just a rude and childish response to a childish and rude advert from Stonewall. I especially dislike the 'get over it' bit which always strikes me as a discussion shtdown atthe level of third year school pupils.
    Both parties should get over themselves.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Actually, it's just a rude and childish response to a childish and rude advert from Stonewall. I especially dislike the 'get over it' bit which always strikes me as a discussion shtdown atthe level of third year school pupils.
    Both parties should get over themselves.

As opposed to the high standards of intellectual discourse shown by all the other advertising that appears on buses?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not quite sure what Stonewall were trying to achieve with that advert?

I mean anyone that is anti gay are just going to get enraged by it, it is hardly doing much good to try and reason with people. What is it they were wanting to do? wind people up or try and reason and change opinions?

Same goes for the fools countering the advert... way to go at getting the opposite reaction to what you are after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent a complaint to the ASA about this today. Either I'm scarier than I thought or they'd already decided to pull it.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murky Past wrote: »
    I sent a complaint to the ASA about this today. Either I'm scarier than I thought or they'd already decided to pull it.

Pah. I'M so scary I had only just looked up the phone number when they pulled it.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks as if someone is getting in a bit of advertising on behalf of Digital Spy. I wonder if we should get over that, too!
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    One user on our Twitter feed had this to say:

I absolutely agree with them! The ad campaign was expected to start next week.

[news]Anti-gay London bus advertising campaign pulled by TfL[/news]

I think it is a great shame that the advert wasn't quietly refused at a much earlier stage. Problem now is, that instead of getting publicity on 5 London bus routes they have free national publicity instead. :(
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    As opposed to the high standards of intellectual discourse shown by all the other advertising that appears on buses?

But the other ads are trying to persuade people to buy something.
    The two ads under discussion were both a form of taunting. It's not the same thing at all. But Poster Teddybear is right - national publicity is the result of the withdrawal of the ad. And people will be asking why the first ad was allowed and the second not since one is no better than the other.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    Looks as if someone is getting in a bit of advertising on behalf of Digital Spy. I wonder if we should get over that, too!

Perhaps you should. ;)
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes today I've seen on south london buses "Some people are gay. Get over it!"

Great to see.
  • BRGBRG Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how "most people are straight, get over it" would fly?
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about "There is no God. Get over it."
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This does raise questions, as there are lots of people who would argue there is no 'right not to be offended'. I don't like the ads at all and do not agree with their message. But as to whether they should be banned...?
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm supprised the advert wasn't in breach of anti-homophobic laws :/

However, that said I think both sides are silly and am getting a little bored with these 'advertisements' which are just shoving views/opions/stances down peoples throats. :/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This does raise questions, as there are lots of people who would argue there is no 'right not to be offended'. I don't like the ads at all and do not agree with their message. But as to whether they should be banned...?

If you take out the offense it will cause, you're still left with the issue of truth in advertising. Gay isn't a disease and there isn't a cure.

The Christians are lying!!!!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Pah. I'M so scary I had only just looked up the phone number when they pulled it.

That only wins cos I went to the website, for fear that if they heard the power of my rage the West Midlands would 'splode.... oh wait.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    The two ads under discussion were both a form of taunting. It's not the same thing at all. But Poster Teddybear is right - national publicity is the result of the withdrawal of the ad. And people will be asking why the first ad was allowed and the second not since one is no better than the other.[/QUOTE]

Imo Perhaps because one is designed to include those who historically have been the subject of discrimination, prejudice and in some cases hatred, whereas the other one is designed to be exclusive and put back anti-discrimination, hatred and intolerance years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who started this ad campaign have some ''issues'' of their own to deal with.

because their might be.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRG wrote: »
    I wonder how "most people are straight, get over it" would fly?

I would imagine people would ask "What's the point" including this straight person.

People are already 'over' people being straight since the dawn of time.

Did you really need that explained to you?
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It got changed to "probably".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the Muslim Council of Great britain getting in on the band wagon:

"Some people are Muslim, get over it"

I wonder how that would go down?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the Muslim Council of Great britain getting in on the band wagon:

"Some people are Muslim, get over it"

I wonder how that would go down?

Some people are ignorant and proud of it. Get over it....
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or (to lighten the thread for one reply; my apologies in advance :p) the Institute of Time Lords;

"We can time travel. You got over it."
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stever7 wrote: »
    Or (to lighten the thread for one reply; my apologies in advance :p) the Institute of Time Lords;

"We can time travel. You got over it."

:D:D:cool:
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two ads under discussion were both a form of taunting. It's not the same thing at all. But Poster Teddybear is right - national publicity is the result of the withdrawal of the ad. And people will be asking why the first ad was allowed and the second not since one is no better than the other.[/QUOTE]

Imo Perhaps because one is designed to include those who historically have been the subject of discrimination, prejudice and in some cases hatred, whereas the other one is designed to be exclusive and put back anti-discrimination, hatred and intolerance years.

totally right