Article: Poor pre-launch showing plagues Windows 8

123457»

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    So would the Android app stores be accessible from Win8? Would Microsoft permit that, or would Win8 need to be rooted/jailbreaked/whatever?

This will be a full Windows application, not an app. So there's no way for MS to restrict its usage. Any access to app stores will happen from within this application, I guess. MS may actually like it, it would make the W8 pro tablets more interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    This will be a full Windows application, not an app. So there's no way for MS to restrict its usage. Any access to app stores will happen from within this application, I guess. MS may actually like it, it would make the W8 pro tablets more interesting.

Yes appzone will run exactly the same way as bluestacks does now on win7 and win 8 desktop. and will as bluestacks does have access to google play.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acer are going sell a full Windows 8 (not RT) Core i3 tablet with a keyboard for US$799 - 1080p 11.6in screen with 64Gb SSD storage. It looks a really nice bit of kit.

http://www.zdnet.com/acer-iconia-w700-another-windows-8-tablet-for-799-7000005338/

I really hope they don't swap the dollar sign for a pound sign because that could be a great purchase at £500 to £600 - given that it is x64, not ARM.

Microsoft lighting a fire under the OEM's backsides with Surface seems to be working.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acer are going sell a full Windows 8 (not RT) Core i3 tablet with a keyboard for US$799 - 1080p 11.6in screen with 64Gb SSD storage. It looks a really nice bit of kit.

http://www.zdnet.com/acer-iconia-w700-another-windows-8-tablet-for-799-7000005338/

I really hope they don't swap the dollar sign for a pound sign because that could be a great purchase at £500 to £600 - given that it is x64, not ARM.

Microsoft lighting a fire under the OEM's backsides with Surface seems to be working.

Pretty sure this was already demo'ed at Computex. None of the OEMs knew about Surface until very close to its reveal. It takes a long time to create a product and you wouldn't really be able to see the effect of Surface on OEMs until product released next year. The only impacts visible this year could include lower prices by OEMs (they already operate on thin margins) and some OEMs pulled out of making RT tablets.

I recently read an article about the creation of the Samsung Series 9. The guy in charge of it proudly announced that compared to the usual 40,000 man-hours to create such a machine (in terms of R&D, prototyping, testing etc), they did it in one year in 9,000 hours. This was a laptop, they've been making laptops for years but making Windows tablets is something new for most OEMs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I've been changing my mind regularly about the device I want. I was sold on a Surface Pro before but now I'm thinking a touchscreen ultrabook would be more suitable for me - a Samsung Series 9 with touch sounds great.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Windows 8 tablets be upgradeable to Windows 9? If not this will hurt Microsoft (they didn't update Windows Phone 7x Phones to Windows 8).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Will Windows 8 tablets be upgradeable to Windows 9? If not this will hurt Microsoft (they didn't update Windows Phone 7x Phones to Windows 8).

WP7 phones are not upgradable for technical reasons not commercial reasons. Basically they changed the underlying platform from Windows CE (not real windows) to Windows RT (real windows) and the current hardware on sale is not powerful enough to run WP8. Every WP8 phone you see has at least a dual-core 1GHz processor and more RAM.

Windows 8 is a different story. Windows 8 has lower hardware requirements than Windows Vista and 7.

Whilst Windows has traditionally been on a 3 year upgrade cycle, there are indications this is going to change and it may be yearly or you rent Windows or something. But you should generally be confident.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Windows 8 is a different story. Windows 8 has lower hardware requirements than Windows Vista and 7.

I'm fairly sure the hardware requirement for W8 is the same as W7, but runs slightly faster on the same hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the hardware requirement for W8 is the same as W7, but runs slightly faster on the same hardware.

I recall them being virtually the same but lower in one or two ways. I can't find a source now though so we'll just leave it at, they are the same. It does mean however, that additional performance beyond what was required for Vista in 2006 is not required.

There are some updated technical requirements, e.g. PAE, NX-bit, WDDM 1.2 support, SLAT etc but not things any consumer could be expected to have heard of.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Having been in charge of corporate rollouts... Vista gave us less problems than our pre-rollout trials with W7.

W7 was plagued by this:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/47895404-7329-4922-82f7-e262f62b9799

Not going near W8. It's offers nothing we need, nor many companies, come to that. Moving forward with each new upgrade is for geeks and fanboys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another nice PC with Windows 8 in action:

http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-new-sony-vaio-duo-11
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am impressed, but I'd like the keyboard part to be detachable. Maybe it is, I had to watch without sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I saw that recently at a trade demo.
    The base price will be £999 but you can upgrade to an i7 with more ram and larger SSD.
    Its all one unit, so keyboard does not detach. It was quite chunky s a tablet alone and the keyboard although solid did take some getting used to. If I remember the battery life was only 5 hours but there was an addon to get it to 9 hours. It also has a stylus pen.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    I saw that recently at a trade demo.
    The base price will be £999 but you can upgrade to an i7 with more ram and larger SSD.
    Its all one unit, so keyboard does not detach. It was quite chunky s a tablet alone and the keyboard although solid did take some getting used to. If I remember the battery life was only 5 hours but there was an addon to get it to 9 hours. It also has a stylus pen.

Its already a nightmare keeping the screen clean and that's without it being a touchscreen.

This screen on this new SONY will be unreadable with 5 minutes.

Good job it has a stylus better still, a mouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its already a nightmare keeping the screen clean and that's without it being a touchscreen.

This screen on this new SONY will be unreadable with 5 minutes.
    I have an iPad, and you just wipe it with your sleeve. Same as a phone.

I can see that touching large 'desktop' style screens is a pain, but I don't see the problem with smaller tablets and 'duo' style ultrabooks.