In your opinion who are the best vocalists the show has ever had technically speaking

Comments

• my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    ^You mean her voice was unpleasant. That's not the same as technical ability. That's what we're discussing. You can measure technical ability, by the vocal range, how it is used, and other factors. However, I wouldn't say tone is part of technicality.

kind of begs the question why worry too much about technical ability if it's still horrible to listen to?;)

We respond to singers who express emotion, convincingly. Technical ability is all very well but is a means to an end, and not worth getting excited about without the more important human qualities.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Ruth Lorenzo and Melanie Masson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis and Rhydian Roberts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Cardle for the emotion, range and musicality.
    Leona Lewis for her naturalness.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my view
    G4
    Rhydian
    Joe
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Yes G4 (particularly Jonathan ansell from that group) was masterclass and knew about delivering 'technical ability' in all genres!!:D
    Misha B.....she just delivered different ranges to her songs, but not always technically 'perfect';)

Loved them both for their performances on the show alone....and that to me was what made the show interesting each week!! :D;)

Leona, although not a fave, did deliver in technical ability, but each week it sounded the same to me...regardless of the song title she was given...louis complained about it so often during her time on the show!!:rolleyes: (one of the few times i DID agree with what he said)

Amelia Lily......wow what a powerhouse on the show.....didnt quite bring it to the fore though, once the show was over....her songs since hasnt lived up to the hype, but she is better when she sings LIVE!!:)
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Ansell (G4)
    Rhydian
    Jahmene
    Joe Mcelderry
    Leona Lewis
  • carlyxxxcarlyxxx Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Lucie jones XD
    Jahmene douglas
    Olly murrs
    Leona lewis
    Amelia lily
    Craig colton
    Carolynne poole
    Ella henderdon
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I personally feel that Chico had the edge.

Loved Chico ;):D:o
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Female, Leona, Alex, Ruth, Brenda, Rowetta

Male, Rhydian, Joe, Jamie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I loved Kitty Brucknell from her first audition, she stands out and has amazing vocals. I've been a dedicated Kitty Diva since Day 1 and still support her now.

Kitty has been working so hard since the X Factor, doing a China tour as well as having many gigs around the UK and in Europe. Kitty has a lot coming up in 2013, including an official single called 'No Tomorrow' due to be released later this year.

So if you want to keep up to date with Kitty, or get to know her Divas, than go to her website --> www.kittyofficial.com . To meet Divas, click on forum and become a member.

Kitty's official pages are;

Twitter - @kittybrucknell
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/kittybrucknell
    Youtube - www.youtube.com/kittybrucknell
    Tumblr - www.kittyofficial.tumblr.com (Her Tumblr also has links to her instagram, soundcloud, youtube, facebook and twitter pages)

Phoebe
  • clara_sclara_s Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    No mentions for Shayne Ward? His OTR was out of this world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    Alexandra Burke
    Leona lewis
    Rhydian roberts
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona, Alexandra, Rhydian, Matt (the high notes were immaculate) and Jahmene.
  • joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in another field (not music but literature). And can I say this: technical ability is not simply something that can be objectively measured, if so the world would be much simpler but also much less interesting. Experts in any craft (an expertise usually means technical expertise) will value different techniques differently and thus make different judgments about this or that instance or artist. You can't separate out technique from judgment: assessments of technique are thus always subjective as well objective (it is not only subjective: there are criteria of course, that we come up when we make judgments but they are rarely undisputed).

In my humble opinion Leona has the best technique but actually I love her more for her emotionality and tone anyway :p:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona was a fantastic, fantastic singer but her lower register was very weak. Same with Ruth Lorenzo. However when they really belted it out they gave me goosebumps and were definitely world class. Put the likes of Madonna, Rihanna, Katy Perry etc to shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara_s wrote: »

Yeah what about Shayne Ward, he's a tad Underrated...:)
  • etamineetamine Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zayn Malik (not so much on the show but he is excellent now), Perrie Edwards, Leona, Rhydian.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    clara_s wrote: »

I was reading through the thread waiting for somebody to say this. His voice was fantastic
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joaniponi wrote: »
    I work in another field (not music but literature). And can I say this: technical ability is not simply something that can be objectively measured, if so the world would be much simpler but also much less interesting. Experts in any craft (an expertise usually means technical expertise) will value different techniques differently and thus make different judgments about this or that instance or artist. You can't separate out technique from judgment: assessments of technique are thus always subjective as well objective (it is not only subjective: there are criteria of course, that we come up when we make judgments but they are rarely undisputed).

Thank you for this lovely reply. Some people on this thread keep on saying that there is a completely objective way to judge singing abilities, and I don't agree with it either.

I also wonder why people would ask that question on a discussion board full of people who have no real expertise on singing, are merely viewers -especially if they are going to attack their replies because they are not valid according to them and their expertise.
    If there is no opinion and only objective facts to make once and for all the assesment, then this is not a question to ask to people on a discussion board.
  • Mr Hunny BunnyMr Hunny Bunny Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    etamine wrote: »
    Zayn Malik (not so much on the show but he is excellent now).

Yeah Jedward are getting good now as well.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume this is sarcasm, if not then, No no no no no no, they may be getting better but they are still very average singers, they shouldn't be mentioned in this thread. :p
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed:

Jedward - Hero - (Enrique Iglesias cover) - Neptune Stadium Cork - July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77sw-6xtb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JEDWARD - HEY THERE DELILAH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9B5JSoAD8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Leona is a class of her own. She's been compared to Whitney and Mariah which is no easy or small comparison. She's by far the best vocalist to ever be on the show, and she's one of best vocalists of this generation, and I say that as someone whose not a particularly huge fan, but her vocal ability can't be denied her.

Jahmene's technical ability is vastly overrated; he had very little nuance or control of his voice. He frequently went sharp, and was incredibly susceptible to going shrill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Facts proven by who though? Where are the facts that say Alexandra is vocally the best? Record sales? Because her last record sales weren't all that and a bag of chips either. It purely is down to opinion.

There aren't any facts that suggest that Alexandra Burke is technically and vocally the best - because, imo she really isn't and I still stand by my statement that Niki Evans was technically and vocally better, it was the young and single Zachary that started making it a competition on who is better.

If I was too chose who is the best vocally to walk away from
    X Factor, I would say Leona Lewis - which I did originally say.
    No disrespect, but I totally agree with Zack. You can personally prefer one voice or another, but you can't say one singer has better technique if it's not true. Technique isn't like tone; it's objective. Either you have good technique and ability or you don't as simple as that. Don't get mad at Zack if you're the one having trouble understanding the concept that vocal technique is not subjective, it's objective.