• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they will never go bust.

people wanna see these films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It''ll probably burst the moment Warners/DC actually make their minds up about Justice League.

Such corporate guff. How many genres are superheroes suitable for? Isn't the superhero film a genre itself now?

These films are sold on the characters, and the characters are superheroes. They can spin it however they like, but in a way they'll always be superhero films, and that's how some will always see them.

You realise comics are just a format for media, right?

There are horror comics, sci fi comics, spy stories, etc

Marvel have characters like Werewolf by Night, Man Thing, Dracula, Morbius, Blade, Damion Hellstom The Son of Satan etc

They also have characters like the Deviants, Celestials, Eternals, Inhumans etc that are superhuman races that visit or hide on Earth. The War Of Kings saga could be their version of Game Of Thrones.

We're seeing the spy stuff with SHIELD and the story from Cap 2 will likely carry over into the next film as well.

Blade was a successful action horror franchise, they now have the rights to him back if they want to reboot him.

Thor allows them to do sci fi fantasy films.

Captain America has allowed them to do a pulp nostalgia film and a 70s political thriller using the character.

Iron Man allowed them to look at sci-fi mech tech/corporate conspiracy thrillers/buddy comedies.

So, ignorance to suit your personal perception might be your prerogative but you just have to look at the existing canon of movies to see that they are using the characters in different genres. Otherwise you might as well suggest 2012, Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure are all the same because they have sunken ships in them. Similarity does not mean they are the same.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You realise comics are just a format for media, right?

There are horror comics, sci fi comics, spy stories, etc

Marvel have characters like Werewolf by Night, Man Thing, Dracula, Morbius, Blade, Damion Hellstom The Son of Satan etc

They also have characters like the Deviants, Celestials, Eternals, Inhumans etc that are superhuman races that visit or hide on Earth. The War Of Kings saga could be their version of Game Of Thrones.

We're seeing the spy stuff with SHIELD and the story from Cap 2 will likely carry over into the next film as well.

Blade was a successful action horror franchise, they now have the rights to him back if they want to reboot him.

Thor allows them to do sci fi fantasy films.

Captain America has allowed them to do a pulp nostalgia film and a 70s political thriller using the character.

Iron Man allowed them to look at sci-fi mech tech/corporate conspiracy thrillers/buddy comedies.

So, ignorance to suit your personal perception might be your prerogative but you just have to look at the existing canon of movies to see that they are using the characters in different genres. Otherwise you might as well suggest 2012, Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure are all the same because they have sunken ships in them. Similarity does not mean they are the same.

thanks for that, i had no idea marvel were so diverse

do you think the BIB would ever make it to TV or Movie land?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    YSo, ignorance to suit your personal perception might be your prerogative but you just have to look at the existing canon of movies to see that they are using the characters in different genres. Otherwise you might as well suggest 2012, Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure are all the same because they have sunken ships in them. Similarity does not mean they are the same.
    Perhaps I should expand.

Throwing a few genre aspects, trappings or scenarios into the mix does not make it a genre film per se. There can be more primary or overriding factors that take precedent with how a film is defined, and with superheroes that will surely be the case. As I said, the draw/selling point of these films is the characters who in a way form and define this new superhero genre, and with whom the audience will have expectations of (i.e. behave in a suitably superheroic way perhaps). It's a little like James Bond. Roughly he belongs to the spy/espionage genre, but the films can be more readily indentified as 'James Bond films' and all that that entails. Weren't there complaints that there wasn't enough Iron Man in one of the Iron Man films, btw?

(Oh, and name a superhero film that didn't have the character(s) in the title).

But perhaps the bigger point is so what? Putting a certain something into a genre doesn't neccessarily make it any different. Look at Tom Cruise. Inserted into various genres (Last Samurai/M:I/Minority Report/Jack Reacher etc), but all fundamentally much the same - a typical Tom Cruise film (Tom rights a wrong, proves he's the man etc). Here the genre is just a tool to make the same old moves via the adaptable genre tropes, and I suspect that may well be case here.

The problem with Marvels' statement is that it beggars the question "What's so wrong with making superhero films?" Why dress them up as genre pieces. It suggests the age-old problem of junk culture trying to punch above its weight, desperate to be considered more seriously. If they'd said they wanted to expand on what a superhero film can be or do, then fair enough, that's understandable, and probably necessary at this point. As I said, they're pretty much a genre themselves now, and they're all starting to resemble each other a bit - as genre films sometimes do.

But 'genre films with superheroes in them'? Nah. Eyewash.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting a certain something into a genre doesn't neccessarily make it any different. Look at Tom Cruise. Inserted into various genres (Last Samurai/M:I/Minority Report/Jack Reacher etc), but all fundamentally much the same - a typical Tom Cruise film (Tom rights a wrong, proves he's the man etc).

Hmm, not sure I can agree with you there! You can reduce practically any story down to such base elements and compare them, then claim they're practically the same.

But to compare something like The Last Samurai to Minority Report? That's one hell of a stretch, based purely on the fact that they have the same lead actor playing a hero. They've absolutely nothing in common, not even on a thematic level. They are certainly not "fundamentally much the same."

If you think they are, it seems you are concentrating too much on the star, rather than the story. Now that might be understandable if you find the actor unconvincing and so always see him as himself in every film (which is a complaint you could level at Tom Cruise), but that doesn't make the films fundamentally the same.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched it four times now (I need a life obviously, ha) and it's definitely one of the most entertaining blockbusters I've seen in a long time. All of the character beats were fantastic, and the actions scenes were top notch, from the Fury assassination attempt to the final Steve/Bucky fight.

Winter Soldier was probably the best antagonist the MCU's ever had, partly due to the actor and his amazing nuance but also to just how layered his relationship is with Steve.

I'm a bit scared they're going to follow through with the comic storyline in part three just when I've really grown to love Chris Evans as Captain America, he was so good in this film - just wow. But I guess we'll have to see.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Oh, and name a superhero film that didn't have the character(s) in the title).
    Unbreakable

The Dark Knight

Sky High

My Super Ex Girlfriend

(And Wanted...sort of)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man of Steel
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X2. :d
  • DeepBlueTwoDeepBlueTwo Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Just come back from seeing CA2 - great film, way better than first IMO (first was a set-up though) and nearly equal to Avengers film IMO.

Lots of action, good storylines, nice plotting, acting was fine, etc, etc. Well pleased - especially after the trauma of seeing Noah last week!
    Forum Member
    I've watched it four times now (I need a life obviously, ha) and it's definitely one of the most entertaining blockbusters I've seen in a long time. All of the character beats were fantastic, and the actions scenes were top notch, from the Fury assassination attempt to the final ..:o. fight.

Bit of a spoiler there - you might want to alter that post. :)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a spoiler there - you might want to alter that post. :)

Behave yourself, the movie's on general release and has been for some time now.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that scene was in the trailers too, anyway...
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this movie and all I can say is some people are never satisfied. It's hard to imagine how this movie could've been any more action packed or well made and still stay as faithful to the source material as it did.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Saw this today and I was impressed. I didn't like the first movie much (probably my least favourite film so far in the MCU) but decided to give this a try and it was a lot more enjoyable. Loved the chemistry between Captain America and Black Widow, and Nick Fury was awesome. Scarlett Jo surprised me actually, she was so good I almost think she could carry off her own Black Widow film! The whole HYDRA story was cool too and added a layer to the film I wasn't expecting.

Oh, and Cap's shield may have just topped Mjolnir as the coolest weapon!
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Behave yourself, the movie's on general release and has been for some time now.
    Matt D wrote: »
    I think that scene was in the trailers too, anyway...

I'm never sure how spoilers work.

I recall mentioning something fairly innocuous from a Harry Potter film years ago on here, and got well and truly flamed for it.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    But that list he had - World Cup 1966; at the time I wondered, why he had that, did a check for the list, and found this one, so I'm wondering, did they make one for the UK - or did I miss a page.
    Dunno. But the list is stuff he's been told about, so if he ran into a Brit he might have been told that event was one of life's greatest experiences even though for an American its probably not. (On Cracked there's a version of the list that ends with "Two Girls, One Cup".)
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,441
    Forum Member

If the movie didn't have Black Widow and Fury it would probably tank as Evan's is devoid of charisma.

It's whatever floats your boat, but I think you're in a minority.

Popular opinion was that Chris Evans couldn't carry it off - now it's just the opposite. He's perfect as Cap. and has huge charisma. Imo.