Options

In what order do you watch the 6 Starwars films

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys, guys, guys, thanks for all the input here and varying views, I dont think I am that much clearer to be honest.

What I want to know is why has my friends boxset got them in a diferent running order, i.e. prequal film 1 as the first film. If the prequals were meant to be watched second why not have them as films 4-6.
    Someone also suggusted that the prequels are not worth watching unless you watch them first otherwise the timeline dont make sense.

Its all confusing, still not sure what to tell my friend, even online websites seem to have differing views.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, guys, guys, thanks for all the input here and varying views, I dont think I am that much clearer to be honest.

What I want to know is why has my friends boxset got them in a diferent running order, i.e. prequal film 1 as the first film. If the prequals were meant to be watched second why not have them as films 4-6.
    Someone also suggusted that the prequels are not worth watching unless you watch them first otherwise the timeline dont make sense.

Its all confusing, still not sure what to tell my friend, even online websites seem to have differing views.

a prequel is a film made after but it's story takes place before .
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a complete story, the saga runs from episode 1 through to 6 and can be watched this way.

However, for the most impact, they need to be watched in the order they were made: 4,5,6,1,2,3.

I know this sounds wierd, but 4,5,6 were released back in 1977 - 1983 and are a story in themselves. The prequels (1,2,3) came a LONG time afterwards (1999 onwards) and provide a back story. If you know the back story in advance it spoils some of the revelation of the original films.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was recommending to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I would say I, II, IV, V, III, VI works too.

You meet Anakin and Obi Wan in episode I & II .At the end of second film see the empire beginning, then you jump ahead to meet Luke in episode IV ANH and see what the empire turned into. Then find out the truth about Darth Vader in episode V ESB. Flash back to see how that played out by watching episode III ROTS, followed by episode VI RotJ as a finale bringing the whole series together.
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In defence of the prequels, they do make watching ESB a new experience.
    It suddenly becomes a very tragic story of one mans attempt to reach out to his son.

In new Hope, Vader is clearly pure evil now. Then following the destruction of the death star and learning the name of the person who blew it up (which occurred off camera between films), he suddenly realises the Emperor lied to him and his baby wasn't dead.
    Then from the start of ESB, he's just trying to reach his son, and getting stopped by the incompetence of those around him (and also why he's killing anyone who prevents it).

The final nail is when his son rejects him and decides death is a better option. Vader of course knows his son isn't dead, but just look at the body language (full credit to both Kershaw as director and Prowse) in Vader as the falcon jumps to hyperspace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member

I

To be honest I have not seen a boxset of Star Wars that contain all 6 films in one set, I have only seen the prequels box set and originals as a box set. Never seen them combines, so I would have to see the box set and decide why they would put them in this particular order.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It suddenly becomes a very tragic story of one mans attempt to reach out to his son.

In new Hope, Vader is clearly pure evil now. Then following the destruction of the death star and learning the name of the person who blew it up (which occurred off camera between films), he suddenly realises the Emperor lied to him and his baby wasn't dead.
    Then from the start of ESB, he's just trying to reach his son, and getting stopped by the incompetence of those around him (and also why he's killing anyone who prevents it).

The final nail is when his son rejects him and decides death is a better option. Vader of course knows his son isn't dead, but just look at the body language (full credit to both Kershaw as director and Prowse) in Vader as the falcon jumps to hyperspace.

Absolutely. The original trilogy depicts Vader as a Villain. The whole saga reveals he is actually a victim .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member

This is totally true. Youtubing the last few scenes of Empire as I write :)

Just to add to the comments above, I would definitely agree that Eps IV,V and VI should be watched first AND then I,II and III. The great story lies with the original films, whereas the prequels emphasise the bittersweet nature of them, particularly the role of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. But ultimately, the newer films give us the secondary information we want as fans, like what made Anakin turn to the dark side (well, perhaps that's not THAT secondary.....) and how anakin/padme got together, etc, as opposed to brilliant story. But that's just my opinion.

New Hope is always a good film to start off with. True it's technically in the middle of the series, but it starts the series off as a general adventure story introducing you to a bigger world of events explored in the later films. In some respects it's better to watch that first so you can get into the series, as opposed to starting with the Phantom Menace and being expected to take the world of Star Wars as the norm. New Hope acts as an introduction to the entire series because we're seeing it through the eyes of Luke, who's for all intents and purposes the new kid to the ways of the force, etc.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the films, whatever order you watch them! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I have not seen a boxset of Star Wars that contain all 6 films in one set, I have only seen the prequels box set and originals as a box set. Never seen them combines, so I would have to see the box set and decide why they would put them in this particular order.

Sorry its two box sets prequel with films listed as 1 to 3, and then the origional 3 films listed as 4 to 6.

Anyone buying them and not knowing a lot about star wars would start with the prequel set as its listed as the first 3 fims.

I will advise my friend to do 4-6 then 1-3 as that appears to be the general view of most people here.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    If I had them with me now, and a whole load of popcorn I'd watch them in this order:

(1) Star Wars (2) Empire Strikes Back (3) Return of the Jedi - then I'd stop there, giving the other 3 a miss.
    Bingo.

The "prequels" aren't worth watching.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. The original trilogy depicts Vader as a Villain. The whole saga reveals he is actually a victim .
    Episode 6 does a good job of implying his actual status without having to subject us to another 3 (inferior) movies though. And sometimes "less is more".
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Bingo.

The "prequels" aren't worth watching.

You never know, he might like annoying yank brats and finding out how Annakin went from Kevin The Teenager to the Dark Lord Of The Sith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry its two box sets prequel with films listed as 1 to 3, and then the origional 3 films listed as 4 to 6.

Anyone buying them and not knowing a lot about star wars would start with the prequel set as its listed as the first 3 fims.

I will advise my friend to do 4-6 then 1-3 as that appears to be the general view of most people here.

But anyone watching them would know that Prequel means was filmed after the other film. And so would know to watch after the original.

For example if you are watching the Underworld trilogy you know to watch Underworld 1, then 2 and finally Rise of the Lycans (which is a prequel)

The word prequel implies that the film was released after the original film but was set before the original films timeline.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    If I was recommending to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I would say I, II, IV, V, III, VI works too.

You meet Anakin and Obi Wan in episode I & II .At the end of second film see the empire beginning, then you jump ahead to meet Luke in episode IV ANH and see what the empire turned into. Then find out the truth about Darth Vader in episode V ESB. Flash back to see how that played out by watching episode III ROTS, followed by episode VI RotJ as a finale bringing the whole series together.

I would go a bit further and put the whole of the second trilogy in the flashback moment so it's IV, V, I, II, III,VI.

So we meet Luke and Obi Wan, Luke finds out Vader is his Father, jump back to see the whole of Anakin's story and then all the way forward to his redemption and end of the Empire in VI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brigon wrote: »

Are you a writer on shows such as Flashforward and The Event, because you seem to have made the films into one giant episode of this type of show :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But anyone watching them would know that Prequel means was filmed after the other film. And so would know to watch after the original.

A lot of people would not take much notice of that, they would watch 1-3 then 4-6.

They should have put the films in order, if 4-6 should be watched first.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen each SW movie loads of times (the Originals the most), prefer the Originals, especially prefer the original Originals... but I always watch from I > VI when I watch the saga.

Knowing the Vader twist etc. means it doesn't matter that the Prequels reveal stuff which is a shock in the Originals, plus I prefer watching them in in-universe chronological order... plus I prefer to end the SW saga with the movies I like the most: The Originals.

But, for a total newbie, I'd echo the comments already made in the thread that the Prequel trilogy may fit better after the Originals, so as to not spoil the twist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of people would not take much notice of that, they would watch 1-3 then 4-6.

They should have put the films in order, if 4-6 should be watched first.

Well they have - it is not their fault that People don't take notice of the big words on the front saying Prequels. It is a bit unfair to think the world should work for the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they have - it is not their fault that People don't take notice of the big words on the front saying Prequels. It is a bit unfair to think the world should work for the lowest common denominator.

But some dont know or understand what prequel means when related to films.

The original 3 should be films 1-3 if thats the way they are meant be to watched, these were the first 3 released so its logical.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    You never know, he might like annoying yank brats and finding out how Annakin went from Kevin The Teenager to the Dark Lord Of The Sith.
    Oh it was long and twisted path. laden with soul searching, pain and anguish...

"I won't turn evil!"

"Go on."

"No, I won't turn evil!"

"Go on."

"No, I won't turn evil!"

"If you turn evil I'll save your true love."

"Well allright then, I'll be a bit naughty but I still won't turn evil!"

"Fair enough, would you mind just killing loads of Jedi children in cold blood for me?"

"Yeah, no problem."

:eek:
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watch 1-6

but i think starwars is kinda overhyped and i liked the prequel trilogy lol
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The original 3 should be films 1-3 if thats the way they are meant be to watched, these were the first 3 released so its logical.

but they can't , since the 1980's they've been titled episode IV , V and VI .

they can't now call them I II and III .
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    "Fair enough, would you mind just killing loads of Jedi children in cold blood for me?"

'Younglings', please. ;)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Words fail me. What a WUM.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Words fail me. What a WUM.

shes done this in other threads too:o