Best and worst of 2010

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Best
Downton Abbey- an excellently made period drama that 10 million viewers liked
Doctor Who- Matt Smith has certainly made the role his own and next year looks even better
Strictly Come Dancing- a welcome return to form this year and Anne Widdecombe was hilarious
Miranda- a surprise comedy hit from BBC2 that was a good laugh
The Royle Family- a welcome return to form and the best thing this Christmas
Worst
Ultimate Big Brother- did this tired out pile of tedium have to last another 2 weeks?
What Katie Did Next- go to Living TV and vanish hopefully
Peter Andre The Next Chapter- who cares?
This Morning- can't this clapped out show get cancelled
My Family- should have been cancelled five years ago,

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Best = Mongrels

Intruiging = Tramadol Nights

Not sure about worse as there is plenty of dross that I keep away from. I watched the first few episodes of Daybreak so i'll post that.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Best = Mongrels

Intruiging = Tramadol Nights

Not sure about worse as there is plenty of dross that I keep away from. I watched the first few episodes of Daybreak so i'll post that.

One that was excellent dross was Survivors, amazing how they always found a car that started months after the plague and how, even when they were ill, could still outrun armed security guards. It was far fetched, it had the curse of Julie Graham, but it was still watchable.
    Also a good series even if it is for kids is the Sarah Jane Adventures. I'm looking forward to the Jo Grant Mysteries if such a series crops up.
    Forum Member
    I was thinking more along the lines of reality tv and the examples that you posted.

Luther was ok but extremely laughable. Harry Hill was a bit of a let down but it's not as bad as what it rips the p out of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of reality tv and the examples that you posted.

Luther was ok but extremely laughable. Harry Hill was a bit of a let down but it's not as bad as what it rips the p out of.

Well you could fill an A4 pad with bad reality shows as, just like dodgy sitcoms in the past, there are always a load of rotten ones. Who cares about Paris bloody Hilton trying to find a best friend, and who would be sad enough to think she would be friends with them?
    Luther was actually quite good if a bit far fetched. Also still delivering is Spooks, not many dramas have this much staying power. The Accused had two brilliant episodes- the Afghanistan one and the one with Chris Ecclestone- but then became rather slow.
    Forum Member
    I didn't see Accused but some of the promos reminded me of Criminal Justice. That was a plus, although when I went back to watch the first series I preferred that over series 2.

Sherlock was also good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Accused had the one stand out episode about bullying in the army that was probably the best single drama this year.
    I never got to see Rock and Chips. Was it any good?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Well you could fill an A4 pad with bad reality shows as, just like dodgy sitcoms in the past, there are always a load of rotten ones. Who cares about Paris bloody Hilton trying to find a best friend, and who would be sad enough to think she would be friends with them?
    Luther was actually quite good if a bit far fetched. Also still delivering is Spooks, not many dramas have this much staying power. The Accused had two brilliant episodes- the Afghanistan one and the one with Chris Ecclestone- but then became rather slow.

I completely agree. Also the BBC drama that was shown around late April time called 'Five Daughters.' It was about the Ipswich murders that took place in December 2006. It has Sarah Lancashire and Jamie Winston in it and it was broadcasted in three episodes. I thought it was a well made drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series of New Tricks was as consistent and humorous as ever.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEST
    Celebrity Juice - Simply hilarious
    Misfits - Outstandingly well written and acted
    X Factor - Controversial but gripping and entertaining
    Inbetweeners - Left on a high note
    Lost - My favourite show ever, ended with a spectacular finale
    Ugly Betty - started off its last season a little slow but really left on a high
    Pineapple Dance Studios - tacky and cheesy but always entertaining
    The Apprentice - brilliant as ever

WORST
    Skins - really really crap now, I dread series 5 and its new cast
    Big Brother (although Ultimate BB was good)
    Dancing On Ice - absolute shite
    All Star Family Fortunes - single handedly the most annoying host on tv
    Ant and Decs Push The Button - god awful
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    The walking dead
    Breaking bad
    Doctor Who
    Dexter
    Charlie Brooker
    Sherlock
    Misfits
    Rubicon

Worst
    Quite a lot really ukwise,Mainly reality tv,its time to stop it.
    End to Lost
    Daytime Tv
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best:

Fringe - made the transformation from a fun, interesting show, to a truly great show with the tail-end of Season 2 and the fantastic start to Season 3.
    MIsfits - Easily the best thing on British TV, kept up the quality of the first series with the second, the one thing I've really looked forward to watching this series.
    Doctor Who - A show I came to stop liking through David Tennant's era, but Matt Smith has really transformed the role of the Doctor, and has made him everything I thought he could be. Phenomenal actor. It also introduced me to Karen Gillan, which is a massive plus. :D

The Worst:

Spooks - Massive letdown. It's never been the same since Adam left, but this struck a new low, was poor, and laughable.
    Heroes - Had been getting worse and worse as it went on, and was just appalling this year.

I've only included things I actually watched in the 'worst' section, so there were undoubtedly even worse programmes, I just didn't have the misfortune to watch them.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I never got to see Rock and Chips. Was it any good?
    It was ok. James Buckley was good and so was the supporting group.

It was good to see Kellie Bright on tv again.

I didn't think much of Lyndhurst as a big time crook/hard man.
    I guess he just got the gig though the storyline connections.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    The Million Pound Drop - Delightful programme, really intriguing
    Pointless - Got into it this year, fantastic quiz show.
    Coach Trip Series 4??? - I think it was Series 4 which lasted 50 days, really interesting and some great characters, watched every episode.
    The Apprentice (UK and Ireland) - Great this year
    90210 Series 2 - Briliant series full of twists and turns.
    Glee Series 1 - Really surprising how much I enjoyed this.
    Take Me Out - Fun and great
    The X Factor - As good as it is bad

Worst
    The X Factor - As bad as it is good.
    Daybreak - They should put it on late at night because it would send anyone to sleep.
    Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights - Terrible
    Push The Butt
  • dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Drama

Best: Sherlock

Worst: Identity

Quiz Show

Best: Only Connect

Worst: Million Pound Drop

Soap opera

Best: None (Honourable mention for Doctors)

Worst: ALL (Special award for Eastenders)

Sport

Best: Snooker

Worst: All Football

Panel Show

Best: QI

Worst: Never Mind the Buzzcocks (shame, really)

Comedy

Best: Mongrels

Worst: Russell Howard's Good News/Miranda (controversial tie)

"Reality" Show

Best: BBC news

Worst: ALL (Special mentions for Jordan/Andre/Katona et. al)

Technology Magazine Programme

Best: Click

Worst: The Gadget Show

All personal opinion, of course :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who makes a point of not watching crap?

Best of this year

Doctor Who
    Top Gear
    Downton Abbey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Best:
    spartacus blood and sand (by a mile)
    getting on
    the trip

Worst:
    I make a point of not watching anything I think will be crap
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    starman700 wrote: »
    Best
    The walking dead
    Breaking bad
    Doctor Who
    Dexter
    Charlie Brooker
    Sherlock
    Misfits
    Rubicon

I'd agree with most of these except Dr Who and Misfits, haven't seen Rubicon though and would add Eastbound and Down, Boardwalk Empire, Wallander (Krister Henriksson version) and Alan Partridge Mid Morning Matters even though it's not strictly a TV show.

Worst: Too many to mention but Big Brother as always, Eastenders the same and the Stephen K Amos Show.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Sherlock has been the highlight for me but judging by the reaction and critical praise heaped on Downton Abbey and that I have received it as a gift for Xmas, it could top the former.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think My Family should be pensioned off now as they're struggling for jokes.
    I reckon next year Miranda is going to be massive. This has even done well on BBC2 against Coronation St, which is a sign a programme is good.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Shows

Lost Ending was happy with it
    Ashes To Ashes
    Benidorm
    FlashForward
    SGU

Worst

Seven Days
    This Is Essex
    This Morning
    60 Minute Makeover
    EastEnders

Day Time TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with FM Radiotuner's choices, Benidorm still raises a smile and Ashes to Ashes was good, if not quite as good as Life on Mars. As for This Morning, I had to endure thirty minutes of this a month ago and I had an aching desire to punch Phil Schofield's fake, grinning face.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Morning is brilliant on Fridays and holidays when Pip Schofield and that blonde girl Holly aren't presenting, Phillip is just really irritating and I don't think there's anything between Holly's two ears, she doesn't seem to have any reaction when she's interviewing people and started laughing at vegetarian nut roast which was just incredibly childish. Ruth and Eammon are better presenters.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best:

Flash Forward
    The Accused
    Strictly come dancing
    Pineapple dance studios
    First Life with David Attenborough
    Jamie's 30 minute meals
    Masterchef

Worst:
    The Apprentice
    The Gadget show
    The One show
    I'm a celebrity...
    Autumn/ Spring watch unsprung
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Coronation Street should be commended for it's 50th anniversary and it's live episode. It was much better than Eastenders 25th anniversary and their live episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think Coronation Street should be commended for it's 50th anniversary and it's live episode. It was much better than Eastenders 25th anniversary and their live episode.

If anything, a show the critics rubbished to bits in its early dayd, nearly got cancelled after six weeks, but steadily grew into the most enduring drama in Europe must have something to commend it. Also Eastenders still does good business for BBC One and can be gripping when you get a good episode.