Options

FA Cup highlights and nightmares..

Mark FMark F Posts: 54,069
Forum Member
So the 1st round proper starts tonight.

What have been your clubs greatest and worse moments in the "world's oldest cup competition" whilst you've been a fan

Ours would have to be reaching the FA Cup semis in 2003 and pushing Southampton close in the semis.

Also taking Chelsea to a replay in 2004 and going 2-0 up at Man City last season before the super stars stepped up their game..

Unlike the League Cup we haven't been victim of an upset generally so probably losing a 5th round replay in the final minute at Crystal Palace in the mid-90 was annoying.

When they were in League One Brighton beat us at home about 3/4 years ago.

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winning it in 1987. Nothing happened in 1989, no matter what you may have seen or heard.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite moments were winning it in '85 (first trophy for me), '96 (beating Liverpool), '99 (part of the treble), and the third-round, also in '99. Two very late goals to beat Liverpool.

Worst moments would be drawing with Exeter, getting beaten by Leeds (whilst they were in League One), and losing the '05 final to Arsenal on penalties, despite absolutely hammering them.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Newcastle fan not many highlights but getting to 2 finals in the mid 90's was great pity we were beaten in both of them. Lowlights would be getting beaten by Brighton 2 seasons in a row plus only just narrowly (and probably undeservedly ) beating Stevenage with the goal that never was (while I think of it we also lost to Stevenage too )
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FA Cup Final 2001.

I was 8, and had only been following football (and Liverpool) for just under a year. Imagine my reaction when then-fan favourite Michael Owen nicks it in the 83rd minute.

Magical.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The treble winning year in 99 along with the semi final against Arsenal and that Giggs goal. I'm sure that game was responsible for my daughter being born almost a month prematurely after having watched it a few days earlier :o:D

The win against Liverpool in 96 when they wore those dodgy cream suits.:D

I'd love us to win the Fa Cup again very soon.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Higlight- Sunderland 1-2 Notts County 2011
    Lowlight- Southport 4-2 Notts County 2002 or Notts County 0-1 Havant and Waterlooville 2007
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    Just today, my home town team ,Warrington Town , the first time ever in the first round of the fa cup won, and one more win could be drawn against Chelsea MANU MANC Arsenal
    Can't get much better than that
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highlight: 2000, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012
    Lowlight: Liverpool 2006, Barnsley 2008
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    1994 final is the lowpoint for me, I was at that final. We actually played pretty well, but just didn't get the rub of the green (with decisions and otherwise). In over 24 years of being a football fan I don't ever recall seeing a 4-0 scoreline that flattered the winning team so much, the game was much more of a contest.

All of our FA Cup wins were great, however 1997 will always remain particularly special for breaking our long trophy drought and being the first major trophy we won during my time as a fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Highlight: 2000, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012
    Lowlight: Liverpool 2006, Barnsley 2008

I never even saw the second half of that. At half-time I was frustrated with the way we were playing, and the fact that Liverpool had gone 1-0 up with a dubious free-kick, so stopped watching. Wouldn't normally react like that, but I just felt so sure that it wasn't going to be our day. With hindsight it turned out to be a good decision.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Greatest winning it in 72
    Worst losing it in 73
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So about those FA Cup nightmares, give me half an hour or so.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester United fan, enjoyed the times we've won it of course, think 1990 and 1994 were my favourites.

Whilst the 1985 win was my first footballing memory the 1990 campaign is the first one I remember properly and I was going to games by then. The 3rd, 4th and 5th round games were all on tv away to Forest, Hereford and Newcastle respectively. As it was pre- the days where every United match is on the box it was great to be able to watch them. I've got no recollection of the 6th round away to Sheffield United - don't think that was on. In the semi and on the same day that Palace beat Liverpool 4-3 we drew with Oldham 3-3 at Maine Road - I went to that one and was standing on the Kippax terrace. Went to replay too which we won 2-1 after extra time although my dad made us leave early as he was worried about getting a bus home and we missed the winner! The 2-2 (aet) against Palace in the final was my first trip to Wembley. Watched the replay at home and I remember that season's competition fondly.

In 94 I remember a great win at Wimbledon in I think it was the 5th round - Cantona and Irwin scored brilliant goals in that game whilst we were wearing the famous (or perhaps infamous) green & gold shirts. Was at the semi at Wembley against Oldham when Mark Hughes scored a volley to save us deep into extra time - great moment. We played very well in the replay at Maine Rd. and battered them. Enjoyed the 4-0 in the final against Chelsea to secure the double.

Single best moment has to be Giggs scoring the famous goal against Arsenal in '99 semi final replay. The match had so much drama in it - United go 1-0 up then are pegged back to 1-1, Keane sent off, Schmeichel saving a penalty from Bergkamp and then Giggs scores THAT goal.

Worst moments:

Losing to Everton 1-0 in the '95 final after just missing out on the league title to Blackburn.

The only time I ever stood on the Stretford End to watch a match was against Forest in 1989 6th round - we lost 1-0 in a front of a huge crowd (For Old Trafford at that time) of 55,000. That was a bad memory.

The way we exited the competition in '08 and '09 were hard to take. In '08 we battered Portsmouth in the 6th round at Old Trafford and lost. In '09 Berbatov was being Berbatov in the semi final against Everton at Wembley - rarely been so angry at a single player's performance and I think he only came on as a sub so it didn't even take a full game to get me wound up that much!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't watched any of the games on TV this weekend........and all these FA Cup chat shows.........:o

I get the feeling that no one in the country is interested in the FA Cup any more except the BBC who appear to have just discovered it.......:o
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazza's career-defining moment of insanity in the 1991 FA Cup final deserves a mention
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beating Norwich to reach the Quarter-Finals in 2012.

Losing to Division Two Wycombe as a Premiership side in 2001 in the Sixth Round. Had far more damaging and serious consequences to the club than just a cup shock exit.
  • Options
    BrummiekevBrummiekev Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Highlight: reaching the FA Cup Final in 2000

Lowlight: losing against Man United at Villa Park in third round 2002. 2-0 up with 14 minutes + added time and we screwed it up. Also terrible behaviour by the united fans in invading the pitch at the end especially.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Beating Norwich to reach the Quarter-Finals in 2012.

Losing to Division Two Wycombe as a Premiership side in 2001 in the Sixth Round. Had far more damaging and serious consequences to the club than just a cup shock exit.

What do you mean by it having damaging and serious consequences
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brummiekev wrote: »
    Lowlight: losing against Man United at Villa Park in third round 2002. 2-0 up with 14 minutes + added time and we screwed it up. Also terrible behaviour by the united fans in invading the pitch at the end especially.

Would have been one of my highlights if picking out more. Solskjaer and 2 for Van Nistelrooy, Schmeichel in net for you.

I know I'm biased, but I wouldn't call a non-violent pitch invasion out of sheer joy terrible behaviour. I like to think I'd say that about any team's fans doing something similar in the same circumstances.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    What do you mean by it having damaging and serious consequences

We were sixth in the Premier League, but that defeat signalled a run of nine straight defeats which ruined a promising season. We spent more money in the summer, lost 5-0 in our first match to Bolton, never recovered, went down and entered administration in October 2002. We managed promotion but it started a decline that ended with us in League One. We've recovered eventually but I think the decline of the club could be traced back to that game, where the brilliant work of Martin O'Neill was undone and the club lost it's way.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highlight of course has to be 1973 although I was only six and just starting to become interested in football and didn't really understand all the fuss when we won.

Low point would be the semi final against Millwall at Old Trafford when, apart from the result, transport problems and issues meant that I ended up getting home at 3.30am on Monday morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aside from the highlight of winning the cup itself, there's a match that particularly stands out in my memory. A 4th round home-tie against Liverpool in '97, en route to winning the cup that year. We were 0-2 down at half-time, but came back to win 4-2. Very entertaining game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LYQ-Tdc3w
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Plenty of both for Liverpool over the years.

Highlights
    1986-1989-1992-2001-2006 finals,

Nightmares
    Early 80s beaten 2 years in a row by Brighton, defeat in 83-84 more so as that team won every other trophy they played for that season. 1988 final. 1990 semi final. getting beat at home to Barnsley few years ago. 1996 final those ridiculous suits.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing 5-0 to Stoke in the 2011 Semi-Final. It started a downward spiral which we have barely recovered from.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real highlight I can think of since I was born was taking Tottenham to penalties in 1994.

But the lowlight (of which there are plenty) would have to be being knocked out at home by non-league Kidderminster back in January.