What percentage of your adult life have you been single?

Comments

• BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 22 in July, so I've been an "adult" for 3 years and 9 months. That's 45 months. (if we're going from 18)

In that, I've had a 12 month relationship, a 6 month relationship, and a 2 month relationship.
    That's 20 months in total.

So just over 50% of my adult life, I've been single

If we're going from 16, I've still only had the above relationships, but it would be 69 months. 20 spent in relationships means 49 months single, so around 70%.

I'm a gay female, if that makes any difference.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about 80% (of 36 years from age 16)
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    From age 18, about 30%.
  • edward_mckenzieedward_mckenzie Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    about 10%
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say probably about 90%. I find it very difficult to hold down that kind of relationship for a significant time. It sounds terrible but its mainly because I get really bored of people quite quickly and want something new.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I was single for the first 16yrs of my life and single on and off between 16 and 22. Not single for the past 22yrs. I can't do the mathS

• wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Around 7%. I was in a 5 year relationship at the age of 19 right up until the age of 24 When she ran off with a mutual friend. From then up until now Inhave only been single for around 9 Months.

I can sympathy with the shy people. I was horrifically shy as a teenager with the opposite sex, and would avoid eye contact with women I fancied for . Which usually comes across as looking downright rude or disinterested.

The problem I have is that I'm not particularly shy. I mean, I'm anti-social to a degree but if I'm in a room with someone I can at the very least engage in small talk.

The problem I have is the psychical side of things. Every relationship I have ever been in ended off the back of my distinct lack of interest and passion in the bedroom department.

So now the quandary is that I'm not afraid a girl saying 'no' if I ask they out but I'm more afraid of them saying 'yes' as there are certain expectations within 99.9% relationships that I just can't meet. I also medical issues (one is albeit based on aesthetics) which could be resolved but not without a trip to the GP and the doctors and all the [pun not intended] ballache of surgery.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you are defining "single" as not actually being "pyshically coupled" so I think for most people its about 99%.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I reckon 75 - 80% of my adult life as a rough guess and I'm not holding out much hope on that improving although I would like it to. To be fair I think I'm too set it my ways to live with someone else now, but it would be nice to have some regular company, just not all the time.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Single 6 years out of 20 so 30%
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    47% but it's getting less and less every day
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Counting from age 16 about 20%
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another member of the 100% club here.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my first serious (well to me at least ) boyfriend when I was 17 which ended after around 3 months. Had a few brief relationships till I was 19, then I went out with a guy for almost 4 years, I left him for my now husband.

Been with husband for 22 years and married for nearly 14.

So all in all, I've not experienced singledom that often.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I was single for two years if you don't count friends with benefits. So that makes 15%
  • Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was single till I was 30:blush: been with my boyfriend nearly 3 years, can't do the maths! If this doesn't work out then likely to stay single forever given my track record LOL!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll start my own 99.9% club then .. *blows raspberry* ;)
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 out of 16 years, total 3 relationships.

I'd prefer not to get married unless its something she really, really wants.
  • MrsSkittlesMrsSkittles Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    About 7% here, and I chatted up my husband who was painfully shy. I know his sister so that gave me the courage to talk to him.
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    100% of my entire life, sadly.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    About 7% here, and I chatted up my husband who was painfully shy. I know his sister so that gave me the courage to talk to him.

You must have started very very early:blush:
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    Another 100% club member here. It's so refreshing to see that there's so many of us out there :)
  • MrsSkittlesMrsSkittles Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    You must have started very very early:blush:

Not really, had one boyfriend from 18 to 22, few months after we split I met my husband.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about a year and half.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Well I had a boyfriend from the ages of 15 to 17, then I was single until I was 19 when I met my second boyfriend who I was with for a year. From the ages of 20 - 23 I was single. I had two short lived not very serious flings at 24, and then I met my husband and we've been married for just about 3 years. So I'd say just a bit over 30%.